Rock Werchter 2023

BenG92

4 hours ago, Kaboom Boxer said:

I thought it would be fun for people to share their live experiences of seeing the currently announced acts live so those that haven’t know what they have in store.

Fri:

RHCP - I probably won't go see them in an arena ever again but their gig at RW last summer (and with my expectations very low) was pretty decent and we had a great time. I mean they have enough great songs to fill 2 concerts. I just hope they'll be considerate enough to bring a different setlist this year and without too many songs from the new albums.

Editors - It's been a few years since I last saw them. They used to be good live. With the new album (which is...meh) and change in music style I don't know what to expect. I'll go check them out if there is nothing else in parallel - I won't cry if I miss them. 

The Black Keys - They are decent live with plenty good songs. It's the type of band I'd prefer to see not too late, with a bit of sunlight while having a few beers.

Wardruna & The Hu - I grouped them together as, although not the same, they represent a similar style. I guess if you like one you'll probably like the other too. They 'll give a different note to the festival, they put on great shows and from me they are highly recommended!

Sat:

Muse - Seen them too many times in arenas and festivals. Their music goes downhill for over a decade now but their live shows are always great in every aspect. Very honest band when it comes to live performance. Last time they showed up in RW in '19 I ditched them for Underworld and I didn't regret it (Simulation Theory was out at the time ;)). This time I think I'll go see them. It's been a while.

Xavier Rudd - I saw him just before Corona time and it was good fun. I don't think I've ever seen more (non teenage) women in a concert 😂! The best set up for him at Werchter will be in the field on a sunny day. Since we don't have a beach...

Sigur Ros - I saw them two months ago. Magic! Many times they make you feel like closing your eyes and get carried away. Excellent sound, setlist, performance, everything! I don't know how much time they'll give them but 1h is not enough. More than happy to see them again!

Sun:

AM - Personal opinion and no offence but...they just suck live! And with the new album being what it is, I don't think I'll be around. Or I'll be at the very back having the last beers with my friends cheering to RW '24.

QOTSA - Always great live. The energy is there, the songs are there, they don't disappoint. Assuming Homme will keep it together till then and they'll actually show up...

The Lumineers - I agree with the comment above. Dull. Early afternoon lying on the grass with a beer is fine. Not more than that.

Puscifer - You might love it if you know what to expect, you might hate it if you are expecting something like TOOL. It's interesting, it's weird, I like it. I recommend some homework on the songs for this one.

AMENRA - I simply love them! I see them live every year and most years more than once (I already have tickets for their own show in spring). If you like doom metal they are at the top of the genre. The atmosphere they create is unique. Very curious how it will work with the Werchter crowd. It was a big surprise to see their name there. 

16 hours ago, Kaboom Boxer said:

I thought it would be fun for people to share their live experiences of seeing the currently announced acts live so those that haven’t know what they have in store.

Nice initiative. Here are my acts that I´ve seen before: 

Arctic Monkeys: They are a solid live act in my opinion. I remember people saying that their set at Werchter last time around was boring but I thought it was a great concert. 7/10

Black Keys: They are a good live act as well. I wasn´t that invested in them last time I saw them so now I look forward to see them again after listening to them more. 7/10

Editors: They are ok I think but not much more. I saw them during their peak but I found them boring after a while. 6/10

Muse: A really great live band! Their albums have been underwhelming the last decade but they are still on fire live. 9/10

Queens of the Stone Age: Another wonderful live band! I have never seen a bad concert with these guys. 9/10

RHCP: As in the case of AM I think this band is better live than people give them credit for. Sure, the singer can be out of tune sometimes but the band is usually very tight, even today. 8/10

Sigur Rós: This band was a welcome surprise last time I saw them! They have a very unique performance and are way nicer live than on record. 8/10

The 1975 - I thought they were great the first time I watched them, 2nd time was at Werchter and I thought it was poor as Matty seemed so annoyed so I couldn't enjoy it (if I wasn't close to the stage and couldn't see him I'd probably enjoy it way more lol)

Amenra - they're amazing live, shouldn't be missed if you like some heavier stuff

AM - I also think they're amazing but it happens that I enjoy their new direction and I don't care about the crowd interaction

Aurora - I thought it was good live but don't care about the music

Editors - they're superb with a small crowd, never watched them with a lot of people

Muse - one of my favorite live bands, even when they play songs I don't like (and that's like 30% of the "new" material) I find it very enjoyable because they play them really good

Puscifer - if you ignore all the dudes asking for Tool music it's enjoyable to watch, I hope they still have the dancers/wrestlers 

QOTSA - depending if Josh is sober or not, if he's sober they're 10/10, if he's drunk it's 6/10

RHCP - my favorite live band, the more they jam the better - also @Floyd_Ams they care a lot about the setlists they play, they're probably going to play only 6/7 same songs (biggest hits) - so Wet Sand, Right on Time, She's a Lover, Charlie etc is all going to change

Sam Fender - he cancelled twice so I didn't watch him yet 😄

Sigur Ros - they played great before Muse at Sziget a few years ago but it was daylight so that ruined a lot of the atmosphere

Stromae - amazing live in 2014, I knew only 2 songs and that made listen to everything he did before and since then

16 minutes ago, Nicklord said:

RHCP - my favorite live band, the more they jam the better - also @Floyd_Ams they care a lot about the setlists they play, they're probably going to play only 6/7 same songs (biggest hits) - so Wet Sand, Right on Time, She's a Lover, Charlie etc is all going to change

Totally agree about the jamming. As for the setlist, RHCP is one of the few bands out there that can present a second show without playing a single song in common with the first one and still be great. Last summer my expectations were low because the previous time I saw them a few years back (at a football arena) it was pretty bad in terms of sound and overall performance and everyone who had seen them recently was saying the same thing. But they actually turned out pretty good at RW and we loved it.

Muse - Seen them well over 40 times, but not for a very long time. Always put on a good show, but there out put has certainly faded.

Editors - Massive fan of theres, seen them in front of 20 people at fan shows to headlining werchter a few days later. Will certainly be in the front row if I go next year.

RHCP Seen them a few times at festivals down the years, either very poor or at best ok.

Sam Fender - Was really realy impressed with him at reading festival in 2021, was very disappointed he failed to turn up at sziget this year. A must see.

Xavier Rudd - Incredible artist, he would be on top of my list in seeing. Saw him at Sziget 2019 and was the set of the week. The guy is amazing.

Sigur Ros - Another incredible act werchter have booked this year, every time they are amazing and will be another must see.

Arctic Monkeys - They put on a decent show and have the songs to back it up, but something missing for me. One of those sets you enjoy but will never go thats amazing.

QOTSA - Another great act on at werchter and have always loved them live, possibly my fave is when grohl played drums with them at glastonbury.

Apart from the headliners. the line up looks really good and varied for 2023.

• Upvote 1

@Nicklord I actually got curious/inspired from the previous comment (plus I had some time to kill) and thought of putting together a potential setlist based on RHCP hits (and not necessarily my favourite songs) with same number of songs but without including a single one in common with the RW '22 gig and see what happens. I surely forgot many but...wouldn't be a bad one eh? 🙂

Intro Jam (obviously)

Can't stop

Dark Necessities

Scar Tissue

Aeroplane

Easily

Road Trippin'

Monarchy of Roses

Dosed

Parallel Universe

Universally Speaking

The Adventures of Rain Dance Maggie

My Friends

Tell Me Baby

Don't Forget Me

Encore:

Suck My Kiss

Otherside

• Like 1

Stromae: seen last year at NOS Alive in Portugal. A well-crafted show, along with catchy, top songs. This is going to be a treat in its own country at RW.

The 1975: seen 2019 at Rock Werchter. Absolute low point of the entire festival. Beforehand, I was expecting a cool show with cool pop-rock songs. I found it far too flat and on top of that, that singer was an arrogant prick too (which apparently got worse).

Red Hot Chili Peppers: I saw them last year at Rock Werchter. Frusciante really is a god on guitar, unbelievable how pure you could hear his playing. In addition, kiedis was in great form. Only downside was a bit too many pauses between songs, which sometimes slowed down the set. Definitely don't expect a best-of, but do expect a setlist with a mix of hits and great songs.

The Interrupters: seen at the local festivals last year. Sing well, play well and a fine party, but didn't really feel like it at the time. Definitely recommended if you fancy a party of ska-punk.

The HU: Wonder if this will work at Rock Werchter. I saw them at Graspop in 2019, but the tent was so packed we couldn't get in. A mix of metal and traditional Mongolian music with the typical guttural chants. A very fine show and it will probably be again at Werchter.

Muse: seen at RW19. A band with so many hits, but was really terribly boring. The focus was far too much on the over the top show instead of their music. If there is nothing at the same time, I will gladly give them a second chance though, as they have a lot of good songs.

Amenra: one of my favourite bands and seen several times too. They are a certainty for a show you can get totally absorbed in. From very soft fragile pieces to completely bursting open and screaming out all the emotion. Highly recommended for everyone especially when you fancy the harder guitar work!

3 hours ago, Floyd_Ams said:

@Nicklord I actually got curious/inspired from the previous comment (plus I had some time to kill) and thought of putting together a potential setlist based on RHCP hits (and not necessarily my favourite songs) with same number of songs but without including a single one in common with the RW '22 gig and see what happens. I surely forgot many but...wouldn't be a bad one eh? 🙂

Intro Jam (obviously)

Can't stop

Dark Necessities

Scar Tissue

Aeroplane

Easily

Road Trippin'

Monarchy of Roses

Dosed

Parallel Universe

Universally Speaking

The Adventures of Rain Dance Maggie

My Friends

Tell Me Baby

Don't Forget Me

Encore:

Suck My Kiss

Otherside

Could be a nice set-list but not realistic at all... You can remove the songs written with Josh like Dark NecessitiesMonarchy or Rain Dance Maggie because they don't play them live anymore with John back in the band. I'd love to hear live again Throw Away Your TelevisionBlood Sugar Sex Magic21th CenturyReadymade...

8 minutes ago, Archi said:

Could be a nice set-list but not realistic at all... You can remove the songs written with Josh like Dark NecessitiesMonarchy or Rain Dance Maggie because they don't play them live anymore with John back in the band. I'd love to hear live again Throw Away Your TelevisionBlood Sugar Sex Magic21th CenturyReadymade...

Yeah I know it's not realistic, it wasn't the intent anyway (I didn't include songs from the new album either), I just wanted for the fun of it to test my theory that they actually have enough hits to fill two concerts without repeating any songs ;). 

On 12/29/2022 at 7:55 PM, Kaboom Boxer said:

Nice idea this.

Stromae: Saw at RW2014. Was the last act and it was the first time me and my friends had done a 4 day festival so we were a bit too tired to properly appreciate it. Not bad, but would like another name on that top line alongside him

Sam Fender - Not quite the second coming of Springsteen as some make him out, but a very very good act nonetheless. Saw him at Trnsmt 2021 and he was the best act by a mile. We did see him at Mad Cool this year and like a lot of these sorts of acts it doesn’t translate as well outside the UK, a bit flat. But very worth seeing.

The 1975 - Depends which version of Matt Healy turns up. Seen them 6 times, best was headlining Sziget 2019 when they looked every inch a major headliner of a major festival. Healey can be insufferable though. 

Nate Rateliff - Caught these at Werchter 16 or 17, fun festival act if there’s no one else on

RHCP - As divisive a band you’re likely to find on these forums. One of my favourite bands, so I’m possibly biased but I’ve had hit and miss experiences with them live. Best advice would be to have a few drinks and just enjoy a good dance; if they turn up with the hits even better

Editors - Again, one of my favourite bands so I’m possibly biased but they seem to be in the form of their lives playing live now since they joined with BM. Saw them at Mad Cool this year and it was possibly the best I’ve ever seen them, all the stage production has a renewed energy to it and in the Barn this could be the show of the weekend

The Black Keys - Only saw them once; at RW14 right after Belgium got knocked out of the World Cup so the crowd were not into this at all. Not a good show that given the circumstances but they are a great band though, and I’m very excited to see them this year under different circumstances 

Muse - Haven’t listened to a lot of their new stuff as albums about robot rebellions and space pirates aren’t really my thing. However, saw them for the first time in seven years at Mad Cool this year and was very easily reminded why they have such a reputation for being a good live band. Great show.

Paolo Nutini - Seen him a few times but the last was TITP2014 (showing my age a bit there). Don’t know if it was because he was headlining his first major festival on home soil or what but he blew me away that night. Not expecting anything like that night at RW23 but will still be a good show I imagine

AM - Saw them at Leeds this year and they aren’t what they used to be live, at all. Appreciate that not everyone will like their music, but at least they used to be able to put on a show full of “bangers” that got the crowd going. Now, Yorkshire Elvis waltzes his way begrudgingly through songs about Sheffield nightclubs and croons songs without chorus whilst the ladzladzladz down the front get annoyed because they won’t play When The Sun Goes Down. 

QOTSA - A bit like The 1975 but with a much better back catalogue. They were one of the bands of the weekend at Werchter 2018, but having seen them a few times, if you get them with Josh Homme in a bad mood it can be a tough watch. Mainly because he can’t hide it and the show suffers big time. 

CATQ - Saw them/him (apologies if I have that wrong) at Glasto 16 when they were first starting after my then girlfriend had seen them on Jools Holland or something the week before. Fun Europop to have a dance in as it rained down all around us; be interesting to see the show now. May actually opt for this over AM. 

The Lumineers - American soft rock by the numbers, but a lovely sound track to a sunny afternoon with a pint in hand

Lovejoy - (Cheating a bit with this one) Assuming it’s the Lovejoy from Manchester, we went to Neighbourhood this year, they played 3 shows across the day and we went to go check them out after hearing so much buzz about them. People were queuing 3 hours in advance to get in and see them so naturally we got no where near. Still need to listen to them but based on that I’m very excited to see them

• Thanks 1

Editors - I never really liked any of their recorded work, but when heard live the songs take on a different form and they are a much better live act and always put on a good show. It was at RW that got me into them live.

Paolo Nutini - Only seen once and that was early this year and his show was amazing, one of the best gigs I have been to.

RHCP - Marmite, people either seem to love or hate thier live shows. It's good to see them once in a blue moon if you are a casual fan, but not sure I would want to see them on consecutive years.

The only of four on that list that I would want to see live are Same Fender, Nateaniel Rateliff and the Night Sweat, Christine and the Queens, and Muse (not really my cup of tea, but the reviews of their live shows, make me want to give them a go)

The rest of the artist are meh or unknowns!

RHCP vary their setlist a lot indeed. there were some certainties the last tour (but I hope they switch some of these around as well)

1st song is or Can't Stop or Around The World

2nd song was always Dani California I think.

Somewhere halfway Snow.

Ending the regular set with Black Summer, Californication and Give It Away. 

Encore starts with Under The Bridge, Soul To Squeeze or I Could Have Lied

Encore ends with By The Way

The other +/- 10 songs are constantly switched around from night to night, not many bands from that size that do this. 

3 hours ago, Boss89 said:

The other +/- 10 songs are constantly switched around from night to night, not many bands from that size that do this. 

And that sucks. I fully understand bands want to work on a full big production and play the same set-list on every shows on a tour. But when you're a fan of a band and you want (and can) to see them a few times on the same tour, it's too bad you'll see the exact same show. Some bands like Red Hot Chili Peppers have so many cult songs, they could play so many different songs night after night! Of course, it's way much work. But it's a work on put on music and you could put less on the live show / production. For the RHCP per example, they are on tour with big screens... but the man in charge of this improvises a lot every show and it's fuckin' insane imo!

13 minutes ago, Archi said:

And that sucks. I fully understand bands want to work on a full big production and play the same set-list on every shows on a tour. But when you're a fan of a band and you want (and can) to see them a few times on the same tour, it's too bad you'll see the exact same show. Some bands like Red Hot Chili Peppers have so many cult songs, they could play so many different songs night after night! Of course, it's way much work. But it's a work on put on music and you could put less on the live show / production. For the RHCP per example, they are on tour with big screens... but the man in charge of this improvises a lot every show and it's fuckin' insane imo!

For their own tour yes that makes sense but for a festival tour when you have a lot of casual fans it sucks. You can suck the energy out the crowd as they don't know the tunes.

42 minutes ago, Archi said:

Yep, saw them 3 times last summer. The shows had 16, 17 and 18 songs per night. I wasn’t very lucky with the setlists (some varied even more, like if I'd gone to the 2nd Paris show instead of the first it would've been a huge difference). But still I saw 27 different songs.

+ add that they do different jams and solo-interpratations every single night. Can't wrap my head around the fact that people are complaining that there are not enough hits. Taking risks like this is musicianships at its finest if you ask me.

Edited by Boss89

Sam Fender - I didn't watch many sets last Glastonbury, but he was the highlight of the festival for me. Very good at the Slope a few years ago.

The 1975 - Tried them in Mad Cool, wasn't impressed.

Nathaniel Rateliff - Very energetic, lovely show. Hopefully will play at one of the tents.

RHCP - you summed it all before, but I'll say that this year RW show was much better then 2016.

Editors - I used to think of them as a light Depeche Mode until I saw them at RW after Depeche Mode. They blew me away there and we're much better than RHCP in 2016. If they're playing in the Barn it's a must for me.

The Black Keys - I love them but their show at RW14 was pretty patchy.

Muse - As others said, it's a great show even if the music isn't exactly your taste.

Xavier Rudd - I saw him on a solo show and enjoyed but I hope this time he'll have a full band with him because it sound different and can be amazing in the Barn.

AM + QOTSA - Depends on the day.

The Lumineers - Enjoyed them much in tent previously, less in an open field so hopefully they'll play in the Barn.

5 hours ago, Archi said:

I think totally opposite! Since they're keeping some famous songs on the setlist and circulate the rest I can't find a better way of making a setlist than RHCP. 

4 hours ago, ParanoidTourist said:

I think totally opposite! Since they're keeping some famous songs on the setlist and circulate the rest I can't find a better way of making a setlist than RHCP. 

Seems my initial post wasn't clear enough... because I agree with you! The way RHCP changed their setlist all the time is the best.

On 12/19/2022 at 5:44 PM, 49Lawson said:

Miley Cyrus’ website is counting down to something. Do we think she’s the major female  announcing a tour that the Roskilde booker alluded to?

New single on January 13th.

I don’t think we should consider her even as a slight possibility, but I would be all for it.

On 12/31/2022 at 5:43 PM, Gossard said:

Make of it what you will.... image.thumb.png.2faa0fe09cb783ba2c3b7d06adae3672.png

Well we can take it as confirmation that Foo Fighters will continue. How long it'll be before their return is another matter - guess if it is to be a 2023 one that it'll have to be announced pretty soon, but I don't think this gave an impression that such an announcement is imminent.

On 12/29/2022 at 7:55 PM, Kaboom Boxer said:

I've seen a lot less of this bill than I thought I have. Nevertheless...

Black Keys - Have some cracking songs but the arena gig I saw them at had oddly muddled sound. Best part of their show was when they played as a 2-piece without their backing musicians

Muse - My literal favourite band, so I'm going to say I like their live shows. It's absolutely notable that the crowd are more interested by songs on their first 5 albums and that they can get lost in their show-off staging, but still a great headline act

Arctic Monkeys - Oddly inconsistent. Can sometimes make the most of the ludicrous amount of great songs they have to play with and be a great live presence, can sometimes look like they can't be arsed. Have an odd habit of the bass being less audible than it should be

Queens of the Stone Age - Similar to Foo Fighters, do like to do show-off extended solos and singalong choruses. Very good at what they do, however. Could well upstage AM if they're on it more

On 12/31/2022 at 9:04 AM, Boss89 said:

RHCP vary their setlist a lot indeed. there were some certainties the last tour (but I hope they switch some of these around as well)

1st song is or Can't Stop or Around The World

2nd song was always Dani California I think.

Somewhere halfway Snow.

Ending the regular set with Black Summer, Californication and Give It Away. 

Encore starts with Under The Bridge, Soul To Squeeze or I Could Have Lied

Encore ends with By The Way

It genuinely baffles me that RHCP have a song as brilliant as Can't Stop and yet that's one they rotate, even moreso given I also like Around the World and would want both (as I believe they did at Reading in 2016). I like the fact they're happy to rotate a lot compared to other acts, as it's something more bands should do imo but there's absolutely other tracks I'd swap out more.

I'm already half-expecting that if I were to go see them next summer, Can't Stop isn't featured.