Rock Werchter 2023

BenG92

25 minutes ago, ParanoidTourist said:

And Stromae may be big in some countries but he's totally unknown in others.

Sure, but it's a Belgian festival. Doesn't matter. Much like Rosalia is headlining Primavera yet 3 or 4 down here. Stromae doesn't need any help to shift those tickets. 

20 minutes ago, BenG92 said:

Sure, but it's a Belgian festival. Doesn't matter. Much like Rosalia is headlining Primavera yet 3 or 4 down here. Stromae doesn't need any help to shift those tickets. 

It is indeed a Belgian festival but aimed at an international crowd. In the past Werchter have almost always had a universally known headliner on the Thursday. The last 5 editions for example contained Pearl Jam, Pink, Gorillaz/Queens of the Stone Age, Kings of Leon/Arcade Fire and Paul McCartney as Thursday headliners. 

On 12/24/2022 at 10:28 PM, Kaboom Boxer said:

Of the acts announced so far what are people’s predictions for the stage splits between the main stage and The Barn?

The two acts I’m most looking forward to are Muse and Fred Again so I’m really, really hoping that there’s not a clash but Muse headlining the main stage with Fred Again headlining The Barn feels like it could well happen. 

Fred Again... has been confirmed in the announcements as barnhead. Of course it does not necessarily mean overlap between the two, but it is very likely

1 hour ago, ParanoidTourist said:

It is indeed a Belgian festival but aimed at an international crowd. In the past Werchter have almost always had a universally known headliner on the Thursday. The last 5 editions for example contained Pearl Jam, Pink, Gorillaz/Queens of the Stone Age, Kings of Leon/Arcade Fire and Paul McCartney as Thursday headliners. 

there will be a big name next to Stromae but only because it is a thursday, the hardest day to sell out. Like mentioned by every Belgian person: Stromae sells the most tickets from all anounced names (6x paleis 12 = around 90 000 tickets)

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Kaboom Boxer said:

Where was this confirmed? Have we got full stage splits for all days now?

" Fred again.. is the sound of today and tomorrow. It will be a big party at The Barn."

And because he's a big name nowadays it seems logical he will close the Barn. 

• Thanks 1

I watch an interview Dua Lipa made at her show in London 2 weeks ago. She's speaking about her new album that she hopes to fully finish in 2023. Seems she won't tour next year or maybe in Fall. But for sure 0 festivals. It was already clear now but am I the only surprised that she won't be playing some festivals on her "Future Nostalgia" era? Except Sziget, I don't remember she headlined some massive European festivals...  that's too bad. I hope to see her and/or Billie Eilish at Werchter in 2023.

17 minutes ago, Archi said:

I watch an interview Dua Lipa made at her show in London 2 weeks ago. She's speaking about her new album that she hopes to fully finish in 2023. Seems she won't tour next year or maybe in Fall. But for sure 0 festivals. It was already clear now but am I the only surprised that she won't be playing some festivals on her "Future Nostalgia" era? Except Sziget, I don't remember she headlined some massive European festivals...  that's too bad. I hope to see her and/or Billie Eilish at Werchter in 2023.

Primavera

• Upvote 1

49 minutes ago, Name taken said:

Has Bon Iver been ruled out completely?

Not at all. However, the best spot for him is barn-head I think and the only available one is Thursday.

52 minutes ago, Name taken said:

Best Kept Secret announcing in january. Expect him there.

He fits that festival well. But considering that he was there is 2019 and that he is in DK (8 June) and SE (10 June) makes it unlikely.

44 minutes ago, Floyd_Ams said:

Not at all. However, the best spot for him is barn-head I think and the only available one is Thursday.

He fits that festival well. But considering that he was there is 2019 and that he is in DK (8 June) and SE (10 June) makes it unlikely.

It's tough to place them as it will be best to see them in the Barn but not sure they would accept it. 2019 was pretty sparse with headliners so they were able to headline Mad Cool and co-headline Nos Alive, not sure they will want less than that.

@Dietedietdo you know if their show at Sportpaleis this November sold out?

Edited by e2p2

On 12/26/2022 at 2:18 PM, BenG92 said:

Then why hasn't he shifted them? It's only like 18k tickets as well isn't it. 

Edited by Aech2ElectricBoogaloo

1 hour ago, Kaboom Boxer said:

Thanks, I missed that. How much overlap is there usually between the Barn and MainStage headline sets?

I think it's not constant. Anyway, back in 2018, I went to see Paak as barn headliner and missed the first 15 minutes or so of the killers. Wasn't too bad (tho I missed somebody told me and it really is the main reason for the killers concert at all)

• Thanks 1

On 12/27/2022 at 2:31 PM, Aech2ElectricBoogaloo said:

Then why hasn't he shifted them? It's only like 18k tickets as well isn't it. 

The festival's half a year away, when was the last time any RW day sold out the year before? Nobody did this year for certain

17 minutes ago, BenG92 said:

The festival's half a year away, when was the last time any RW day sold out the year before? Nobody did this year for certain

Metallica did. Their day was already sold out by early October. And everything else was sold out by early-mid February. But last year was a special one with many people carrying tickets over from the cancelled editions (plus Metallica will sell out any day at any festival very quickly).

4 hours ago, Floyd_Ams said:

Metallica did. Their day was already sold out by early October. And everything else was sold out by early-mid February. But last year was a special one with many people carrying tickets over from the cancelled editions (plus Metallica will sell out any day at any festival very quickly).

Fair enough, didn't remember Metallica doing. Even so, plenty of time for Stromae to sell his day without another co-head. 

19 minutes ago, Archi said:

I guess that if Stromae's day wasn't selling well, especially as it's known to be the hardest day to sell, they would have added the second big act of the day already. 

Unless RW are forced to wait for the headliner to announce a tour (like RHCP)

Also, they announced significantly less acts for Thursday as any other day. It does not look like their strategy is currently favoring Thursday

Edited by Ohad

I thought it would be fun for people to share their live experiences of seeing the currently announced acts live so those that haven’t know what they have in store.

I’ve not seen a ton of them but I’ll start us off:

Sam Fender - I saw his headline set at Tramlines last year and it was pretty good. Great voice live, good energy, interesting chat. Looking forward to seeing him again. 

Muse - Saw them headline at Tempelhof last year and they were unbelievable. Comfortably the best I’ve ever seen. Everything is just so tight and well put together. They just get it and know how to put on a show. 

Arctic Monkeys - Been a long time since I’ve seen them (2007 at LCC with Amy Winehouse) so obviously a lot has changed but they were immense. 

Excited to hear people’s live experiences with the acts I’ve not had the chance to catch in concert yet…

Edited by Kaboom Boxer

4 hours ago, Kaboom Boxer said:

I thought it would be fun for people to share their live experiences of seeing the currently announced acts live so those that haven’t know what they have in store.

Thurs:

The 1975 - finally saw them recently after many years of near misses and it was one of the best shows I've seen since covid despite mattys attempts to sabotage himself by being more drunk than me. 9/10

Fri:

Editors - On record I really love them. But they were touring a bad album at the time and there was just no energy despite being virtually a hometown show. I regret not seeing them do the greatest hits tour as I heard great things. 3/10

Sat:

Muse - Seen them many many times over the years they have declined as a band a lot culminating in a pretty uninspiring glasto 2016 performance but they do still have it in them to do amazing shows. When they are on form theyre spectacular. 6-9/10

Paolo nutini - honestly one of the worst gigs I have ever been to on this current album. Turgid. Dull. Boring. 2/10

Fred again - seen him twice now. Both times good but not spectacular though the people who went with me thought it was amazing. A fun show for anyone who goes. 7.5/10

Slowthai - caught the end of a set of his. Energetic but not my thing. 5/10

Sun:

Queens of the stone age - fantastic shows on each of the last two albums. Great fun and everyone is in for a treat. 8.5/10

The lumineers - dull. Not offensive. Not the worst to have on in the background  4/10