Rock Werchter 2023

BenG92

1 hour ago, Karlos12345 said:

KoL have been announced as „European festival exclusive“.

Maybe I missed it but I didn't see the word "European" anywhere. In any case, is it me or is that announcement very weirdly written? "Exclusive festival performances by Kings Of Leon, Bring Me The Horizon, Rise Against, Limp Bizkit and Incubus". It's as if they are all exclusive performances which of course is not the case (e.g. Incubus). Unless they mean exclusive to German festivals.

Edited by Floyd_Ams
  • Upvote 1

20 hours ago, Karlos12345 said:

KoL have been announced as „European festival exclusive“.

Hope that means not other fests were interested in the band. No idea how a sane booker would pay extra royalties to have them exclusively.

They've been announced for a show in Berlin as well as RaR/RiP so I do ponder if they must have some other commitments dotted around as headline dates.

Though if those two events are crowning KoL as exclusive festival booking, it would be a consequent surprise to see them surface here. Maybe.

54 minutes ago, Dietediet said:

No way that KoL are headlining RW after the Sportpaleis/Lokerse Feesten debacle of this year. Don't think we'll see them on the Werchter field again until they are willing to take lower spots on the lineup (similarly to Editors).

What happened?

12 hours ago, e2p2 said:

What happened?

They were supposed to play an arena show in June. After a few months only a fraction of the tickets had been sold, so they cancelled and instead were announced as headliner on an indie focused day at Lokerse Feesten (15K capacity). There the field was decently filled, but the organization supposedly expected more from an act of this caliber.

In other words: they've proven that they're no longer enough of a ticket seller for headlining RW. 

4 hours ago, Dietediet said:

They were supposed to play an arena show in June. After a few months only a fraction of the tickets had been sold, so they cancelled and instead were announced as headliner on an indie focused day at Lokerse Feesten (15K capacity). There the field was decently filled, but the organization supposedly expected more from an act of this caliber.

In other words: they've proven that they're no longer enough of a ticket seller for headlining RW. 

Any reason that they couldn’t sub?

13 hours ago, Dietediet said:

That sounds like a bit of an all round mess that.

On 12/23/2022 at 6:59 PM, Nicklord said:

I don't think that's purely an ego thing. If thet accept one lower slot their position in negotiations of any future festival is much worse

People overlook this factor a lot, its the same with the strokes for instance who were being discussed a few pages back

2023 will be our first Werchter so I’m not au fait with the usual scheduling for announcements. 

They’ve obviously announced 34 acts so far and  I see that they had 90 acts total last time so quite a few still to be added. When would you expect the rest of the lineup to be filled out?

Who was the biggest name from 2022 that they announced after the turn of the year? I’m assuming that Fri, Sat & Sun headliners are now set in stone with Thursday the only potential slot where a mega name could still be to come. 

Of the acts announced so far what are people’s predictions for the stage splits between the main stage and The Barn?

The two acts I’m most looking forward to are Muse and Fred Again so I’m really, really hoping that there’s not a clash but Muse headlining the main stage with Fred Again headlining The Barn feels like it could well happen. 

2 hours ago, Kaboom Boxer said:

Of the acts announced so far what are people’s predictions for the stage splits between the main stage and The Barn?

The two acts I’m most looking forward to are Muse and Fred Again so I’m really, really hoping that there’s not a clash but Muse headlining the main stage with Fred Again headlining The Barn feels like it could well happen. 

Seems inevitable 

On 12/24/2022 at 9:25 PM, Kaboom Boxer said:

Who was the biggest name from 2022 that they announced after the turn of the year? I’m assuming that Fri, Sat & Sun headliners are now set in stone with Thursday the only potential slot where a mega name could still be to come. 

2022, all heads were announced before Christmas. All 6 headliners are already announced, you won't get more on the top line now as far as I can see. Gotta remember that Stromae is massive in his home country, he doesn't need a co-head. 

Edited by BenG92

31 minutes ago, BenG92 said:

2022, all heads were announced before Christmas. All 6 headliners are already announced, you won't get more on the top line now as far as I can see. Gotta remember that Stromae is massive in his home country, he doesn't need a co-head. 

I think that varies from year to year. One year Radiohead were announced as late as March for example. And Stromae may be big in some countries but he's totally unknown in others.

11 minutes ago, ParanoidTourist said:

I think that varies from year to year. One year Radiohead were announced as late as March for example. And Stromae may be big in some countries but he's totally unknown in others.

I agree that outside Belgium, it's not trivial to think of Stromae or OATW as headliners in festivals of this size (also both put on a hell of a show). I also tend to believe he will get a co head. But it's possible he won't I guess.

Edited by Ohad
  • Upvote 1