LAWKS! It's the next announcement thread

jparx

Just now, Crazyfool01 said:

Personally think the way they do it normally is  on the money , the edginess this year has come from complete radio silence and no headliners … If they dropped us Coldplay early it would have made no difference to anything whatsoever . Apart from maybe the more casual fan who is yet to know this 

Yes I would agree, no headliner is unusual and that's why every time I log into this forum it seems cranky with people whinging...which is the main reason I've been on here less of late.

1 minute ago, gooner1990 said:

Yes I would agree, no headliner is unusual and that's why every time I log into this forum it seems cranky with people whinging...which is the main reason I've been on here less of late.

Things were kind of potentially known quite early this time also … 2 of 3 headliners pretty well sewn up and the other was Madonna for quite a while which then changed to Stevie . If that’s the way it ends up . Run in time now anyway and things will liven up 

7 minutes ago, Crazyfool01 said:

Things were kind of potentially known quite early this time also … 2 of 3 headliners pretty well sewn up and the other was Madonna for quite a while which then changed to Stevie . If that’s the way it ends up . Run in time now anyway and things will liven up 

Clearly there is a reason its been held off...I'm sure why that is will become apparent in due course, but people getting themselves into a tizzy over it is just plain stupid IMO.

Just now, gooner1990 said:

Clearly there is a reason its been held off...I'm sure why that is will become apparent in due course, but people getting themselves into a tizzy over it is just plain stupid IMO.

Yeah there’s definately worse things to worry about …. Nips off to weather thread 😉🌧️🌤️❄️🌊

8 minutes ago, gooner1990 said:

Could it being held back for Stevie Nicks and not Stevie Wonder ?

21 minutes ago, Crazyfool01 said:

I do think a lot of the frustration is because of the combination of no announcement + everyone being pretty confident we know who the headliners are. with less speculation, it feels like the delay is arbitrary.

If we were still here with no clue who was headlining any of the nights we'd be less angry at the lack of news and more distracted by figuring out if Foals are big enough to headline yet.

• Upvote 2

22 minutes ago, mouserat said:

I do think a lot of the frustration is because of the combination of no announcement + everyone being pretty confident we know who the headliners are. with less speculation, it feels like the delay is arbitrary.

If we were still here with no clue who was headlining any of the nights we'd be less angry at the lack of news and more distracted by figuring out if Foals are big enough to headline yet.

Yep 100% this 

So let's assume announcement is being held back for Steve Nicks (I know we probably think Wonder, but let's imagine it's because of Nicks after all, as she's just announced the below).

With tickets on sale Weds, is common wisdom to expect a glasto announcement a significant of time after that, to let tickets sell? (so like late March) Or would we be more likely to expect a glasto announcement say two days later (on Friday 8th)? Or am I totally overthinking it as there is no pattern/logic to it?

(same logic for if and when Stevie W announces, or any future BST/Glasto headliner crossover!)

35 minutes ago, Traci said:

IMG_3084.jpeg

5 minutes ago, Physical_graffiti said:

So let's assume announcement is being held back for Steve Nicks (I know we probably think Wonder, but let's imagine it's because of Nicks after all, as she's just announced the below).

With tickets on sale Weds, is common wisdom to expect a glasto announcement a significant of time after that, to let tickets sell? (so like late March) Or would we be more likely to expect a glasto announcement say two days later (on Friday 8th)? Or am I totally overthinking it as there is no pattern/logic to it?

(same logic for if and when Stevie W announces, or any future BST/Glasto headliner crossover!)

Wouldn't be that early. I'd expect about a week gap at least not least because the 6 Music Festival is on that day and Glastonbury won't want to compete with the BBC for news coverage. I would guess we'll be waiting until at least the 18th. There does seem to be the real possibility that Stevie Wonder isn't as finalised as we first thought.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, gooner1990 said:

Has this leaked poster done the rounds yet?

image.thumb.png.b5b5eff1950c911a12828f4c1f2d1e3d.png

I'm guessing it's fake but nothing there springs out as being ridiculous to me. All looks plausible. 

Would need to find myself some headliners though.

And with all the KoL Glastonbury posting I'm guessing they'll be there somewhere. No idea where though. They surely can't headline in 2024 and are the most boring live band I've ever seen judging by the bit I stayed for in 2008.

Edited by Chip Batch

3 hours ago, CharlotteB said:

Larger male acts because they've had the last 100 years of bias priming them for being headliners. I don't know if this is the case, but it sounds like you're saying men are just more talented. This isn't true, it's just because women don't get the same opportunity as men. If female acts get a fair crack, they will be seen as "big" acts. Equality has never been gained for anyone by "just letting it happen".

Not at all saying that, I'm saying there are several just been more male groups around. I've seen plenty of female acts around but I mean if somewhere like Glastonbury hasn't booked as many when they have their sellout ratio and try and promote it heavily do they see them standing the test? There is definitely an element also that booking more female acts will be booking a more mainstream fan base because it's not a secret that there are more male fronted/involved bands than female. It's not as much as it was but I find part of the issue is, the bands where females play a bigger part are often rockier acts that are booked for your Slam Dunks/Download. 

Take for example, Cassyette, Maggie Linderman, Charlotte Sands, Marmozets, Evanescence, Halestorm, Hot Milk, Pvris, The Pretty Reckless, Japanese Breakfast, Porridge Radio.

Booking Avril Lavigne this year would take it down a similar route of openings female wise like Shikari do. Not the same act at all but from similar scenes/fan bases. Obviously Nova Twins delved into it a bit as well but they aren't acts going to find themselves high up. BMTH have even taken way lower spots than their merit with a possible inclusion again this year taking them to Other sub, I don't think they'll headline it. But that still puts them 3rd down on the Pyramid. 

A lot of others outside of these they have previously booked, or are looking likely.

You take Blondie, Florence, YYYs, Japanese Breakfast, Alabama Shakes, The Pretenders, Wolf Alice, Florence and the Machine, Wet Leg, Kylie, Miley, Taylor.

8 of those have played with at least one likely this year and one saying no. Headline wise, female acts big enough or wanting to do it are sparse. I mean Glastonbury haven't by the sounds of it managed to replace Madonna with a female act, if Olivia has agreed to play then they didn't feel she was ready for the bump up yet and one of one's on the list is Rihanna! Are we having Rihanna headline just so we can add to the amount if females?, it's not an a grade inspiring choice is it....15 years ago it might have been OK!

5 minutes ago, northernangel said:

Not at all saying that, I'm saying there are several just been more male groups around. I've seen plenty of female acts around but I mean if somewhere like Glastonbury hasn't booked as many when they have their sellout ratio and try and promote it heavily do they see them standing the test? There is definitely an element also that booking more female acts will be booking a more mainstream fan base because it's not a secret that there are more male fronted/involved bands than female. It's not as much as it was but I find part of the issue is, the bands where females play a bigger part are often rockier acts that are booked for your Slam Dunks/Download. 

Take for example, Cassyette, Maggie Linderman, Charlotte Sands, Marmozets, Evanescence, Halestorm, Hot Milk, Pvris, The Pretty Reckless, Japanese Breakfast, Porridge Radio.

Booking Avril Lavigne this year would take it down a similar route of openings female wise like Shikari do. Not the same act at all but from similar scenes/fan bases. Obviously Nova Twins delved into it a bit as well but they aren't acts going to find themselves high up. BMTH have even taken way lower spots than their merit with a possible inclusion again this year taking them to Other sub, I don't think they'll headline it. But that still puts them 3rd down on the Pyramid. 

A lot of others outside of these they have previously booked, or are looking likely.

You take Blondie, Florence, YYYs, Japanese Breakfast, Alabama Shakes, The Pretenders, Wolf Alice, Florence and the Machine, Wet Leg, Kylie, Miley, Taylor.

8 of those have played with at least one likely this year and one saying no. Headline wise, female acts big enough or wanting to do it are sparse. I mean Glastonbury haven't by the sounds of it managed to replace Madonna with a female act, if Olivia has agreed to play then they didn't feel she was ready for the bump up yet and one of one's on the list is Rihanna! Are we having Rihanna headline just so we can add to the amount if females?, it's not an a grade inspiring choice is it....15 years ago it might have been OK!

image.jpeg.29cebe3f280227a229883ba330592f7c.jpeg

• Upvote 12

16 minutes ago, northernangel said:

Abbreviated version? TLDR 🙂