BBC Coverage 2022

Cooter

2 hours ago, willgooneday said:

No issue with female empowerment but there's a difference between female empowerment and smuttiness for smuttinesses sake. A lot of current pop - male and female falls into the latter.

You mean black artists doing as white ones but they get all the flak, got it.

1 hour ago, MEGATRONICMEATWAGON said:

The problem for these types of headliners which have massively long sets and plenty of prestige, is that they have to grab you from the off. It's a festival, not their private concerts to their die-hard fans. You have to go big early doors, otherwise it's disappointing. 

I remember ditching Radiohead after 20 mins because they bored the socks off me (despite being a big Radiohead fan), and went to see Dizzee Rascal on West Holts and his set was so amazing and energetic, it was one of the best atmospheres I've been a part of during all the time I've been there.

Didn’t Radiohead drop Exit music for a film amongst one or two other massive tracks into the first 3 or 4 songs of their set back in 2017? I was there and I am sure they did! 
Mind you, my wife and everyone else I was at the festival with all went to see Dizzy and they all said it was phenomenal as well! So maybe you made the right call for you anyway? 
But ye, my memory is telling me RH went pretty big pretty quick in 17..?

2 hours ago, MEGATRONICMEATWAGON said:

It's the age old feminist debate - are filthy stripper performers empowering or holding women back?

I'm torn. Obvs it's not scary... 

On the one hand, would I like this woman to be a role model for my daughter? Prob not.

On the other hand, is her performance showcasing that a woman can do whatever she wants? Probably.

I'm really divided on the whole issue.

Its about being comfortable with yourself especially when it comes to being female And your body. Somebody has to try to make those conversations easier instead of more difficult or non existent. Anyone saying  Megan cant be a role model just the same as Lizzo for example except the difference is Megan uses curse words and Lizzo doesnt, but both want to promote body positivity and self expression.

6 hours ago, MEGATRONICMEATWAGON said:

Anyway, I'm shattered. Have to get up in 5 hours. Gonna have a quick ham mayo lettuce tabasco sandwich and then carry on like I haven't drunk/typed/watched my life away.

Goodnight all! It's been a pleasure x

Good morning all. My son chose last night to have nightmares, so I only got a few hours sleep. Learn from my mistake. Don't watch all of Macca and get sloshed while potentially on call for whatever might occur!

Did make the 'calming him down story' quite good tho. Lots of chat about an old dinosaur needing help get through a difficult journey/challenge 😉

5 hours ago, Gashead86 said:

Didn’t Radiohead drop Exit music for a film amongst one or two other massive tracks into the first 3 or 4 songs of their set back in 2017? I was there and I am sure they did! 
Mind you, my wife and everyone else I was at the festival with all went to see Dizzy and they all said it was phenomenal as well! So maybe you made the right call for you anyway? 
But ye, my memory is telling me RH went pretty big pretty quick in 17..?

I think they played it after I'd already left. Their first four or five was a snooze fest. Very atmospheric, but in a "2001 Space Odyssey way", not a " it's Friday night and wanna move a bit" way. They could have thrown an early singalong/up tempo song in there to get ppls attention.

Again, it's all personal choice. To coin a modern day lame phrase, I'm just speaking from my own "lived experience", hahaha.

Edited by MEGATRONICMEATWAGON

So what we got today folks?

Di, blimey hope she makes it through without any falls, miming or general fukups.

PSB, gonna be fun.

Bicep, probably one I wouldn't see onsite but happy to power the home speakers up for this.

Any recommendations? Must say I'm (obviously) managing to see so much more at home. Loving all this iplayer live stuff.

Edited by Cooter

6 hours ago, Suprefan said:

You mean black artists doing as white ones but they get all the flak, got it.

Seems a bit of a tangent tbf. Miley Cyrus was heavily criticised when she turned into her modern day self and started twerking half naked Infront of tweens and teens. Not sure why you're trying to make it into a race issue.

5 hours ago, Suprefan said:

Its about being comfortable with yourself especially when it comes to being female And your body. Somebody has to try to make those conversations easier instead of more difficult or non existent. Anyone saying  Megan cant be a role model just the same as Lizzo for example except the difference is Megan uses curse words and Lizzo doesnt, but both want to promote body positivity and self expression.

I certainly get where you're coming from in this regard. I don't profess to be a Megan Thee Stallion expert, but I'm guessing she's aimed at an older audience anyway. Still, there's empowerment and then there's downright filth.

Added to that tho, when I was younger I started listening to stuff my parents didn't approve of, so there's a natural cycle to it all.

I'll try to keep my disapproving face to myself when my kids become young adults and start listening to whatever it is they choose 😝

16 minutes ago, Cooter said:

So what we got today folks?

Di, blimey hope she makes it through without any falls, miming or general fukups.

PSB, gonna be fun.

Bicep, probably one I wouldn't see onsite but happy to power the home speakers up for this.

Any recommendations? Must say I'm (obviously) managing to see so much more at home. Loving all this iplayer live stuff.

I'd prob be up having breakfast in the Park for Deep Throat Choir, something chilled to start the day off.

DiRo would prob be a starter on the right hand of the Pyramid and see how it goes job, shooting off to Amyl and the Sniffers if I lost interest and/or the crowd was too packed. Shame they overlap really because today's pretty sparse for me from a preplanned perspective.

Then PSB, but in between that, no idea.

9 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

Not sure Megan is the best example of female empowerment.  I would look more to Billie, Olivia and Lilly this weekend who my two little ones loved and proudly sung fuck you 😀 

Not sure I would want them to watch Megan and think that's how I empower myself.

Very true.

And before anyone makes it into a race/sex thing, I'd prob not want my son to seek empowerment if a black/brown/white man just sung about his dick and fucking bitches while half naked either (or whoever is the male equivalent of Cardi B/Megan is).

9 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

Not sure Megan is the best example of female empowerment.  I would look more to Billie, Olivia and Lilly this weekend who my two little ones loved and proudly sung fuck you 😀 

Not sure I would want them to watch Megan and think that's how I empower myself.

4 minutes ago, MEGATRONICMEATWAGON said:

Very true.

And before anyone makes it into a race/sex thing, I'd prob not want my son's to seek empowerment if a man just sung about his dick and fucking bitches while half naked either (or whoever is the male equivalent of Cardi B/Megan is).

I think the issue is more the double standard - the only male artist I can think of as Smutty as Cardi B or Meghan is Lil Nas X, because it'd be derided as sexist if a straight bloke sang the same stuff about woman.

DBE may be the closest think in the straight world but their truly awful and I doubt they'd ever be booked for Glasto.

1 minute ago, Chipbarm said:

Anyone know why Macca’s set isn’t on iplayer? Had a few too many beers at glasthomebury last night and crashed out before it came on.

I feel like the beeb are taking a lot longer to get individual sets up to stream this year. It's a bit annoying when trying to catch up.

25 minutes ago, Rose-Colored Boy said:

Morning everyone! Having a well deserved lie in after last night’s festivities. Catching up on Jessie Ware is the first item on our agenda, then it’s all about Kacey Musgraves, Lorde and Kendrick back to back this evening. Can’t wait 😊 Happy last day of being ticketless to all. 

Looking forward to getting back to it a bit later! On the agenda for me today is: Diana Ross, Lorde, probably a bit of Kendrick and bit of PSB. Would like to see some of Amyl, Jarv Is, Courtney Barnett and Bicep but will likely catch up with some of that as the week goes on. Can't do another really late one! Would like to catch up with more of Roisin too.

Anyone know who the TBAs are for Park and John Peel?

Also was Kae Tempest televised pm Friday? Just realised I never saw it.

1 hour ago, willgooneday said:

I think the issue is more the double standard - the only male artist I can think of as Smutty as Cardi B or Meghan is Lil Nas X, because it'd be derided as sexist if a straight bloke sang the same stuff about woman.

DBE may be the closest think in the straight world but their truly awful and I doubt they'd ever be booked for Glasto.

Youre hilarious. Im not gonna sit here and list of the endless male artists who do the same lyrics wise as megan or cardi and nobody says anything.  And really, lil nas? A gay black man cant express himself now? Im sure you would pass out if you walked into the nyc downlow one late night.