Football 2022/23

charlierc

47 minutes ago, Gnomicide said:

And the big question is if they are booted out, would the current owner walk away and leave them floundering? Let's hope so. 

he'll scream racism, and that everyone has it in for him.

23 hours ago, zahidf said:

hmmm, id say Leicester have lost out on two champion league places because of the cheating from City

they've got over 100 charges against them. Its not just a couple of rule breaches here or there. 

Leicester, that team who got promoted back to the prem off the back of such dodgy accounting and exploitation of the administration rules that they changed them afterwards.....

Were hard done by another team doing dodgy finances.

3 hours ago, kaosmark2 said:

Leicester, that team who got promoted back to the prem off the back of such dodgy accounting and exploitation of the administration rules that they changed them afterwards.....

Wrexham effectively took Leicesters punishment. They went into administration to buy better players, we went into administration because a dodgy owner was trying to kill the club.

Sadly Wrexham went out of the cup last night , but to hold our own over 2 games against a team destined for the premiership is a positive. Billy Sharp is undoubtedly a twat though!

4 hours ago, pink_triangle said:

Wrexham effectively took Leicesters punishment. They went into administration to buy better players, we went into administration because a dodgy owner was trying to kill the club.

Sadly Wrexham went out of the cup last night , but to hold our own over 2 games against a team destined for the premiership is a positive. Billy Sharp is undoubtedly a twat though!

Exactly, a lot of clubs got heavily punished by going into administration that wasn't their fault while Leicester abused those rules.

The idea of "poor Leicester" being hard done by financial shenanigans I just find hilarious.

18 hours ago, Gnomicide said:

If City were to be kicked out the Premier League, would the Championship have to accept them? The teams hoping for promotion would know it would be a huge dent in their chances.

One rumour suggests this...

Almost like the stuff of a crazy Football Manager experiment.

At the very least, such a move would certainly even more aggressive than Juventus' dip into Serie B in 2006 in the wake of Calciopoli.

Edited by charlierc

8 hours ago, kaosmark2 said:

33 minutes ago, kaosmark2 said:

Exactly, a lot of clubs got heavily punished by going into administration that wasn't their fault while Leicester abused those rules.

The idea of "poor Leicester" being hard done by financial shenanigans I just find hilarious.

Championship finances in general are messy tbf - QPR and Bournemouth also got done for FFP antics around the same time as Leicester's, Derby's financial shenanigans were a club that really pushed the limit until it could break no more, and there seem to be rumours all the time of clubs being on the limit of financial capabilities.

It's kind of a surprise it hasn't all gone too far at that level in all honesty.

Personally hope qatar ownership doesn't come to Manchester United. 

It's ridiculous that the common theme was greenwood should never play for united again. The next week united fans are wanting Qatar ownership just to win a pot or 2. 

Edited by thetime

4 hours ago, charlierc said:

Championship finances in general are messy tbf - QPR and Bournemouth also got done for FFP antics around the same time as Leicester's, Derby's financial shenanigans were a club that really pushed the limit until it could break no more, and there seem to be rumours all the time of clubs being on the limit of financial capabilities.

It's kind of a surprise it hasn't all gone too far at that level in all honesty.

A lot of clubs got done in the wake of Leicester's shenanigans, despite not trying to manipulate it - just doing fucked up finances.

Leicester were really fucking scummy about it, full blown. I mean, I loved their PL win because it was hilarious, but I'm not going to pretend it wasn't another club with messed up finances exploiting systems.

4 hours ago, thetime said:

It's ridiculous that the common theme was greenwood should never play for united again. The next week united fans are wanting Qatar ownership just to win a pot or 2. 

I don't know a single TRUE United supporter who wants the Qatari's to take over - and I was a season ticket holder for 25 years, so I know plenty of fans that go regularly.

Of course there's loads of Internet warriors and plastic supporters who want it, but not the real fans.

Super league back on? It was only a matter of time.

I could see city backing it this time as then any premiership punishment wouldn't matter.

Edited by lost

7 hours ago, lost said:

Super league back on? It was only a matter of time.

I could see city backing it this time as then any premiership punishment wouldn't matter.

This new format just basically looks like the clubs trying to kick UEFA out of the Champions League and Europa League combined, and it's hard to make the case that this will happen. Even moreso given a preliminary ruling by a justice working at the European Court of Justice had legal advice in favour of UEFA's position.

On 2/8/2023 at 6:42 PM, thetime said:

Unless they've found some kind of loophole, I feel like UEFA might interject about the relationship between PSG and Man United if they wind up being owned by the same mutual entity.

Saying that, they let RB Leipzig and RB Salzburg both compete in the Europa League against one another, so maybe their rules on this are less strict that previously thought.

Well, so far so defiant.

I was surprised to see Newcastle get a mention as Guardiola was claiming our Ashley-era selves, Leicester, Burnley, Wolves and the rest of the big six signed a letter calling for UEFA to stick the landing and ban Man City when the case was brought in 2019/20. News to me as I don't recall us doing that.

49 minutes ago, charlierc said:

Well, so far so defiant.

I was surprised to see Newcastle get a mention as Guardiola was claiming our Ashley-era selves, Leicester, Burnley, Wolves and the rest of the big six signed a letter calling for UEFA to stick the landing and ban Man City when the case was brought in 2019/20. News to me as I don't recall us doing that.

they didn't lie to him about the uefa charges either, except they did and he pretended they didnt.

Edited by Neil

11 hours ago, Neil said:

They won bugger all of note before roman. 

Apart from FA Cups and European trophies.

I can see your point, but they were hardly Man City or Newcastle. They had success in the seasons before Roman Abramovic, which in a way made it easier them to get success.

Edited by thetime
  • Upvote 1