Football 2022/23

charlierc

On 2/5/2023 at 12:28 PM, thetime said:

Never known the footie forum so quiet from Liverpool fans, been rammed with them last 3 years. 😁

Not a lot to say. We're shit, it's quite incredible how the same team were a couple of results away from winning everything last season. Shame it's coincided with City having a poor season too. I also don't watch may other games so haven't got a lot to say on other teams.

Having said that, strip those cheating c**ts of everything they've won and we will have 3 more titles 😁

• Like 2

1 hour ago, pink_triangle said:

The thing is the likes of Allison, Robertson and VVD have got sloppy, I’m not sure it’s all down to midfield. They are also not losing to City, Arsenal, Man U etc, but teams with worse midfielders. I think you have to look at the manager when everyone is playing worse.

Allison is the only one at his level.

Other names to add to the "sloppy" list: TAA (the biggest), Salah (disgrace since his new contract), Fabinho and Henderson.

The thing is the likes of Allison, Robertson and VVD have got sloppy, I’m not sure it’s all down to midfield. They are also not losing to City, Arsenal, Man U etc, but teams with worse midfielders. I think you have to look at the manager when everyone is playing worse.

I agree with a lot of this but feel that's fairly harsh on Alisson. He's still been great, just opposition teams seem to have been given the freedom of his area in almost every game.

Klopp has definitely made mistakes. His loyalty to his players is a great strength but also his weakness. No other top team would have let our midfield grow old together the way we have. FSG are tight fisted I know but when we lost out on Tchouameni to then say we won't for for Choice B and instead will stick with what we have was a mistake.

I keep hearing that he's all over Bellingham, speaking to Dortmund daily etc about him. Without CL football we have no chance. Plus, as amazing as he is, we would need at least another midfielder (ideally 2 more) for him to be effective anyway.

15 minutes ago, DareToDibble said:

In relation to City... I've not had chance to read up on it but are we all just expecting a fine? Can't see any serious sanctions.

I think this time there will serious sanctions. This is the PL, all 20 clubs will have a say, aside from the fact they've cheated Liverpool out of 3 titles and Man Utd 2, what about all the missed euro qualifications. Apart from the glory, there's huge financial ramifications to this.

If they aren't properly dealt with then football in England is finished.

21 minutes ago, Skip997 said:

I think this time there will serious sanctions. This is the PL, all 20 clubs will have a say, aside from the fact they've cheated Liverpool out of 3 titles and Man Utd 2, what about all the missed euro qualifications. Apart from the glory, there's huge financial ramifications to this.

If they aren't properly dealt with then football in England is finished.

I might be wrong but wasn’t the period they were looking at only up until 18/19? Rodgers’ LFC would fall into that but I don’t think Klopp’s team would. Unless they also decide to investigate the last 5 years too…

Edited by DareToDibble

8 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

If City have any sense they would try and negotiate a points deduction this season and move on.

No where near enough.

The future of the PL, and possibly English professional football rests on the outcome of this.

If the sanctions aren't tough enough the PL will be giving the go ahead for other clubs to cheat as much as they like.

9 minutes ago, Skip997 said:

No where near enough.

The future of the PL, and possibly English professional football rests on the outcome of this.

If the sanctions aren't tough enough the PL will be giving the go ahead for other clubs to cheat as much as they like.

The counter argument is the system is set up to keep the establishment clubs at the top forever and stop anyone ever closing the gap. I can imagine Liverpool and Man Utd are terrified seeing Newcastle ready to pounce.

• Upvote 1

If the alleged breaches are proven, it could cause chaos for the game and could get even more political. The potential sanctions available as per rule W51 in the Premier League rules are suspension, a points deduction and even expulsion, although the commission can recommend any punishment it sees fit.

Titles being stripped is nevertheless seen as unlikely due to an unwillingness to “look backwards” but senior football people are seriously talking among themselves about the possibility of relegation at the end of this. It would also be a message to the rest of the competition. So much of it concerns the very future of the Premier League as a “product” as much as City, especially given how the club have dominated it.

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/man-city-premier-league-financial-punishment-b2276736.html

Edited by Skip997

The counter argument is the system is set up to keep the establishment clubs at the top forever and stop anyone ever closing the gap. I can imagine Liverpool and Man Utd are terrified seeing Newcastle ready to pounce.

Whilst I kind of agree with your reasoning. United and Liverpool haven't been at the top for ever, both have taken breaks of 25 years+ from the top. 

2 hours ago, squirrelarmy said:

In better news it looks like the big "Soccer" experiment is over and Leeds can start playing football again. The board should never have got rid of Bielsa for Yank Lampard. 

I'm looking forward to the rest of the season now, hopefully the damage done is reversible.

So is Bielsa the real deal? 

If he's such a good coach why did Leeds get worse with him in charge. 

2 hours ago, squirrelarmy said:

In better news it looks like the big "Soccer" experiment is over and Leeds can start playing football again. The board should never have got rid of Bielsa for Yank Lampard. 

I'm looking forward to the rest of the season now, hopefully the damage done is reversible.

They were playing NFL or did I miss this? 

In all seriousness (Lampard-ism), I didn't think Marsch was that terrible, but ultimately it's a results business and they weren't getting them, with just a real problem at both ends. It's also not that surprising given Leeds showed that readiness to go all in when sacking Bielsa last season, so it's not a surprise to see it happen again.

Probably says a lot about Liverpool and Chelsea's dodgy seasons that 2 of Leeds' 4 wins this season were in their meetings.

Maybe Southampton might be next? Nathan Jones kinda went all in for saying "Everyone sucks but me" after their loss at Brentford at the weekend.

21 hours ago, thetime said:

Newcastle lack of goals, seems to be catching up with them. 

Newcastle best chance of champions league could be this season, rather than next. As you have a nice schedule without European football. Add in that Liverpool and Chelsea being woeful. 

It seems like the World Cup break came at a bad time for us, given that barring the first game back at Leicester, we've struggled for goals in Premier League games.

I still think we can do it, not least given a defence as robust as ours has proven itself well as a tough nut to crack and we're still on an unbeaten run stretching back ages, but we are absolutely seeing our margin for error disappear and like you say, this is a brilliant chance to get in the Champions League club with Liverpool and Chelsea's problems.

3 hours ago, DareToDibble said:

In relation to City... I've not had chance to read up on it but are we all just expecting a fine? Can't see any serious sanctions.

Who even knows. The charge list being over 100 points long stretching back for more or less the entire Abu Dhabi ownership of Manchester City means this has to be analysed seriously. I would be surprised if the penalty handed is expulsion from the league, and one early article suggests it may not end up in the stripping of Premier League titles Manchester City have won since their 2008 takeover. I suspect it's going to be heavily litigated and analysed and it could take years for a verdict to be reached.