The Weather Thread 2023

tazbang

4 hours ago, mikeydredlox said:

in short, you need to wear a cap and apply a lot of ointment, otherwise it can be really painful

4 hours ago, Alcatraz said:

Fingering is always good my friend

4 hours ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

It's always good. It's specifically what we want to happen.

4 hours ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Good unless you're Fuzzy.

3 hours ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

Bad

3 hours ago, Steffie1986 said:

It’s sooooo good. We love a nice fingering 

Love you guys and may all good karma shelter our fave yellow sphere in a dry manner 

1 hour ago, Alvoram said:

Where did you get the on and off bit, simulation doesn't show that, shows mostly none stop rain for 24 hours...

This is the total accumulated rain between now and 12pm Sunday, up to 50mm... A terrible run... Burn it, burn it with fire.... 

image.png.703cf187bd1edd574d4c8a6481b36b82.png

OK I am being dramatic, 50mm isn't that much, it includes the rain that will fall from this Sunday - Weds... at around 30mm

So it's only really 10 - 20mm in one day, despite the horrendous 3 hourly charts. It's definitely no 2007 60.1mm!!!

image.png.ae7ded2a3c2be38feaced4fc1d855022.png

Still, f**k the GFS, I want it DEAD! I want it's family DEAD! I want it's processors burned to the GROUND! I wanna go there in the middle of the night and I wanna PISS ON IT'S ASHES!

Pissing of any sort can threaten the festival's license.

1 hour ago, Alvoram said:

ohhh thank goodness for that... That is insane.

So why would that happen, why would the ops be so far out from the others? Why don't they use average instead? 

Can't say I understand how the models work well enough to say. The auto-generated weather sites all tend to use the operational and just run with it cos being first with the updates is king, and nobody really uses the average other than as a reference to how likely a particular outcome is as it's better to be warned of the possibility than left blissfully ignorant of the near-miss

6 hours ago, Alvoram said:

You assume I wasn't already?

But seriously, why is that? I'm a little confused, can't even see which post you quote.

If it was the movie quote, AI is far to clever not realise that was a movie quote. 

7 hours ago, Alvoram said:

Still, f**k the GFS, I want it DEAD! I want it's family DEAD! I want it's processors burned to the GROUND! I wanna go there in the middle of the night and I wanna PISS ON IT'S ASHES!

Edited by tarw
Quote not working

1 hour ago, JoeyT said:

Safe to say those on site this morning will be waking up to less dust.

IMG_0314.thumb.jpeg.eacb1bfce36571d5e618900c45d1d77c.jpeg

Really hoping that clears off by around 10/11am for putting our tents up… Looks likely to shift soon according to the Met Office though and shouldn’t have done anything other than made the ground that little bit soft to save the lives of some tent pegs 🤞🏻 

Far too much rain about for my liking in these recent runs. Don’t want to be dodging heavy downpours all weekend. The good news is a complete washout is unlikely at this point. 

Should have a much better idea of how this is going to play out by the end of the weekend. 

1 hour ago, tarw said:

Still, f**k the GFS, I want it DEAD! I want it's family DEAD! I want it's processors burned to the GROUND! I wanna go there in the middle of the night and I wanna PISS ON IT'S ASHES!

Yeh… It’s a very well known movie quote, even chatGPT can recognise movie quotes 🙂 fear not

17 minutes ago, Sheffield Steve said:

You exaggerate my friend. It’s not too bad….  the rain on the Saturday still stays away, but it’s mighty close.   Other than that, it’s as you were I would say…

I’d say it’s a pretty decent improvement, if it was to be accurate you are looking at showers on and off and the significant rainfall spells seem to have reduced. It will all change again for the 06z no doubt. 

Tomorrow is the real knife edge - there’s going to be some pretty intense storm cells knocking around the south west, and somewhere is going to get unlucky and end up with several weeks’ rain deposited in a couple of hours. If the force field holds then we’re grand - worst case we could have flash floods on the ground through the whole of Monday

The GFS 00Z is slight improvement. 

Mon & Tue there is rain but much less heavy than some previous runs.

Wed - mostly dry with very light rain in afternoon 

Thu - very light rain afternoon 

Fri - No rain 

Sat - Pretty much no rain. Very light rain sweeps close by in afternoon.

Sun - again potential for VERY light rain in late afternoon.

Definitely improving. 

Edited by DYRTFT

5 minutes ago, Drinky said:

Tomorrow is the real knife edge - there’s going to be some pretty intense storm cells knocking around the south west, and somewhere is going to get unlucky and end up with several weeks’ rain deposited in a couple of hours. If the force field holds then we’re grand - worst case we could have flash floods on the ground through the whole of Monday

Yup. Let's hope the worst of it lands elsewhere.

4 minutes ago, DYRTFT said:

The GFS 00Z is slight improvement. 

Mon & Tue there is rain but much less heavy than some previous runs.

Wed - mostly dry with very light rain in afternoon 

Thu - very light rain afternoon 

Fri - No rain 

Sat - Pretty much no rain. Very light rain sweeps close by in afternoon.

Sun - again potential for VERY light rain in late afternoon.

Definitely improving. 

Sounds decent. Got any temp highs?