The Weather Thread 2023

tazbang

1 minute ago, Superscally said:

Can someone tell me if the finger is a good or a bad thing here? In fact, list me scenarios where the finger is good, where it is bad and where it is both. That'll be good for two more pages.

in short, you need to wear a cap and apply a lot of ointment, otherwise it can be really painful

2 hours ago, Dizzy2012 said:

Ok, I’ve read this thread for soooo long and I have found the courage to out myself and ask…

where are these forecasts from?

what do you mean by gfs, “the finger”??!!

whats 18z, 6z, 12z?

Any other acronyms I should be aware of? I’ve been around long enough to understand NFR NFC… been coming since 2008 😳😳

I'm in a similar boat but have worked out a fair bit (enough) to keep up - just.

NFRNFC stands for No Rain, No Compromise. A long standing in joke.

Most other acronyms are the different weather modelling agencies from the UK and beyond. Unsure of the which is which but they each have different ranges and biases so essentially when they start to agree with one another then you can be more certain of it. The GFS gets a lot of coverage as it seems to be the longest range of the ones included here.

06Z, 12Z etc is simply the different runs of the GFS. It runs 4 times a day - can't remember what times. I think the latest is 23:30. I don't know how they differ beyond distinguishing which run in the day they are.

That's my non-weather-person attempt and what I've deduced from reading this delightful chaos. I'm probably wrong.

Edit: Oh and I think the finger relates to the high pressure coming up from Europe / Africa. As I understand it high pressure = hot / dry.

Edited by Beaver89
missed a bit - added a good fingering

The full acronym is NFRNFCNFC

Which stands for no f**king rain, no f**king cloud, no f**king compromise 

Broadly speaking I am with this school of thought. But I’m not such a purist, I would allow the occasional (white, fluffy) cloud. Such as this one as seen over the pyramid stage in 2022

IMG_3946.jpeg

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Superscally said:

Can someone tell me if the finger is a good or a bad thing here? In fact, list me scenarios where the finger is good, where it is bad and where it is both. That'll be good for two more pages.

It’s sooooo good. We love a nice fingering 

12 minutes ago, HyperTechnoHorse said:

Not heard anything about the weather for the past hour now, is everything ok? 

GFS Updating now... 

3 hours ago, Glasto Weatherwatch said:

The lightest blue on GFS isn’t really rain. It’s low cloud. It would be the same as feeling a few spots of rain and then it stopping. That’s a dry day.

It was a better run in terms of rainfall. The overall picture (position of low etc) was probably less good - which is what I said in the summary.

But as others have mentioned ECM and UKMO are in range now and better systems so not overly concerning. 

Weather Central (The German site that shows precipitation by the mm in a grid format) was showing 1-2mm per hour for those periods over Pilton. It usually shows 0mm for the cloud you describe. Very light still and not an issue at all (as I said.) but definitely mildly moist rather than dry. 

5 hours ago, Gnomicide said:

Quite right. That Billy Bragg set was incredible. 

Too bloody right!  Absolutely electric.  I think if he'd have started a rally, we'd have brought down parliament!  

Edited to add: I know that wasn't what the original post was about but Gnome is right that the BB set was amazing!

Edited by Beerqueen

The C in NFR NFC always, in my head, stood for Coldplay. But funnily enough, I love Coldplay. Anyway, the finger is always a good thing. The festival can never get enough of the finger. That is all. I’ve been out tonight to see The Silencers, so I’m very tired. Goodnight. Love you all, and will see you on the farm. IN 5 DAYS!!!