Primavera Sound Barcelona 2023 + Primavera Sound Madrid 2023

Fnmentaluk

1 minute ago, xxialac said:

There are 5 direct flights between the two cities in the winter, so presumably even more in June.

Right, but that's not really the point – it's just not the done thing for headliners to do consecutive headline dates like that because there's so much cash on the table if anything goes wrong with transport on travel day. We'll see anyway.

6 minutes ago, jannybruck said:

Right, but that's not really the point – it's just not the done thing for headliners to do consecutive headline dates like that because there's so much cash on the table if anything goes wrong with transport on travel day. We'll see anyway.

I think it's actually pretty common in europe. Not sure if pkp/lowlands is a great example, but it's an example. Take a look at 2019 editions

Edited by Ohad

9 minutes ago, jannybruck said:

You do make a good point. I get the sense consecutive headline days is considered fine if travelling overland but not generally if flying.

I have to disagree with your basic assumption about both Barcelona and Madrid or nothing. Does having two weekends automatically rules out any act that can't commit to do two weekends? I don't think so

I mean, yes, they will not want to make Madrid weaker, especially not on the first year, but come on- you got a chance to bring Pulp only for Barcelona, a chance that will probably not return in the near future (if ever) - you're really going to say no to it??

They'll do their best to book them on both, but if it's only BCN- I don't think they'll give it up. Just put another super-strong headliner on Madrid instead of them

14 minutes ago, JedTheHumanoid said:

I have to disagree with your basic assumption about both Barcelona and Madrid or nothing. Does having two weekends automatically rules out any act that can't commit to do two weekends? I don't think so

I mean, yes, they will not want to make Madrid weaker, especially not on the first year, but come on- you got a chance to bring Pulp only for Barcelona, a chance that will probably not return in the near future (if ever) - you're really going to say no to it??

They'll do their best to book them on both, but if it's only BCN- I don't think they'll give it up. Just put another super-strong headliner on Madrid instead of them

Didn't PS say its an identical line up, bar some of the lower ends of the bill, though? 

Maybe I'm remembering that wrong but that was what I had in my head. 

3 minutes ago, ConfidenceMan said:

Didn't PS say its an identical line up, bar some of the lower ends of the bill, though? 

I think they said same size, same number of acts and stages and almost identical lineup. don't remember mentioning if the diffs are high or low in the poster

9 minutes ago, ConfidenceMan said:

I think, yes, the strategy is to have very nearly identical posters and they are even calling it a "mirror" edition.

Inevitably some changes in the small fonts and last minute cancellations causing a bit of a rejig but booking Pulp only for Barcelona would undermine this ethos.

Edited by xxialac

There's going to be some of the 3 plus headliners per day missing from Barcelona/Madrid since you also want to spice things up a lil bit for Madrid. Is Pulp big enough to not miss Madrid? We'll see but their presence at the festivals looks much worse than yesterday for sure.

Assuming they're placed #2 or even #3 on their day and given that Pavement and The Replacements played on Mordor I can't see them playing 2am anywhere so it's Thursday/Saturday at 9/11pm or bust.

Now, my two cents: there is no way in hell Pulp are reforming and not playing Primavera and Glastonbury. No way.

9 minutes ago, xxialac said:

I think, yes, the strategy is to have very nearly identical posters and they are even calling it a "mirror" edition.

Inevitably some changes in the small fonts and last minute cancellations causing a bit of a rejig but booking Pulp only for Barcelona would undermine this ethos.

mirror but not identical, that's from yesterday's Madrid press conference. the changes being only in the smaller fonts are our own interpretation. 

I think giving up any headliner who can't commit to two consecutive weekends is hard and can reduce the quality of the lineup, and specifically on pulp - do you really see Gabi giving them up if it's an option?? not in this lifetime

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, JedTheHumanoid said:

mirror but not identical, that's from yesterday's Madrid press conference. the changes being only in the smaller fonts are our own interpretation. 

I think giving up any headliner who can't commit to two consecutive weekends is hard and can reduce the quality of the lineup, and specifically on pulp - do you really see Gabi giving them up if it's an option?? not in this lifetime

This is great news and agree with everything. Though worth saying that Gabi has already had his moment of booking Pulp for their reunion (and in fact last time they got to break the news).

BTW is Gabi even the main booker this year?

4 hours ago, jannybruck said:

It's extremely rare for headlining bands like this to do consecutive days across Europe when there is flying needed, though. There's so much risk involved when you don't add a buffer day in for travelling.

I'd be surprised if Primavera didn't manage to book them, but it's pretty tight.

The Strokes did it this year with Primavera and Best Kept Secret on two consecutive days. So Pulp can too. They could even do Porto on Wednesday June 7th.

2 hours ago, xxialac said:

I could see Philip Selway playing in the auditori.

Can we be sure we will even have Auditori shows in 2023? Been some debate about it on the "official" forum. Remember we didn't have it for weekend 2 this year and in Radio Primavera's pre-festival interview with Gabi, it kind of went under the radar with everything else going on but I listened back to the relevant clip and it sounded like he was preparing the ground for the auditori not being a part of PS in the future: saying they're looking at a different auditorium, that the forum one was was built for conferences etc (really?) and is under new management who don't want have concerts. "We'll see" he said but the vibes weren't good. I've seen many special shows in there (like the rest of you, I'm sure) it would be a terrible loss to the festival. It's also true most festival attendees never set foot inside or maybe even know it exists.

Not having Auditori would be a fucking disaster. It's a huge part of the festival for a lot of people, a unique selling point for the Primavera brand compared to other European ones, and there's no comparable space nearby that wouldn't require people going off site.

Edited by jannybruck
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

We HAVE to have the auditori.

So many of my greatest memories are from there going all the way back to 2010 and this year included.

The owner of the auditori would have to have a colder heart than Braverman and Patel's lovechild not to have experienced, say, Mavis Staples and the warmth and respect of the raudience and not think that was a good use of the space.

Just now, more matey said:

Primavera newbie here....do the major airlines add more flights nearer the time? Flights from Gatwick are insane cost. Or do they just get sold out and that’s that?

Most will have locked in their summer schedule by now, so what you see is what's available.

Consider flying into Madrid or elsewhere and getting the train in if you can spare the extra time at each end of the festival. It's not ideal but usually works out cheaper.

I’ve been to primavera since 2016 and from Brighton. And almost every year flights from gatwick are not affordable. Even when booking a year in advance. 
i did several things. Flew from Heathrow. Used my BA airmiles for free flights. 
Flew to Porto then Barcelona. Flew to Madrid then Barcelona. Stayed for an extra 3/4 nights and flew to gatwick. Or arrived to Barcelona 3/4 days before the festival to be able to fly from gatwick. 
good luck! 

Re Auditori indeed that would be a shame. 
i loved starting my day in the auditorium. 

one year there were gigs in the auditorium in the city (by Marina metro) 

that could be an option. But not ideal. Not just at the door of parc del forum. 

went to book gatwick/BCN flights last night - boy have they shot up!

well, through easyjet anyway - the monday ia NOT the day to fly back, ha.

we've worked out it'a cheaper to have another night there and fly back tuesday - it was something like £160 one way vs' £30 on the tuesday. might look into trains...

Trains will be even more expensive. Eurostar in particular is outrageously priced these days, other than off season.

There are very cheap train tickets to Madrid with way more competition on the route (two new low cost operators) and on superfast trains. So would look into flying back from there.

5 hours ago, xxialac said:

Primavera Sound Argentina and Brazil 5-6 November

Primavera Sound Chile 12-13 November

Primavera Weekender 18-19 November

Primavera Sound Barcelona and Madrid Lineup approx 21 November?

Makes sense. Not before that for sure. 

And maybe a few more days to get ready/build hipe, end of November.