Primavera Sound Barcelona 2023 + Primavera Sound Madrid 2023

Fnmentaluk

On 10/28/2022 at 6:32 PM, xxialac said:

Just discovered they have been very specific on the number of shared bands.

"98% of the bands that play Barcelona will also play Madrid".

So sounds like only about 4 bands will be different.

And they've also confirmed the number of shows in Madrid and Barcelona.

"200 shows" in each city.

Not exactly tbh. 2017 lineup was released 30th Nov because of the Frank Ocean announcement and the 2020 lineup was released in early December but it's been late January for ages. I reckon they'll try to recreate the level of impact they achieved last year releasing the lineup one year in advance so I guess we'll see things cooking up after SA festivals with a release in early/mid December.

6 minutes ago, Nesser said:

Not exactly tbh. 2017 lineup was released 30th Nov because of the Frank Ocean announcement and the 2020 lineup was released in early December but it's been late January for ages. I reckon they'll try to recreate the level of impact they achieved last year releasing the lineup one year in advance so I guess we'll see things cooking up after SA festivals with a release in early/mid December.

I think all Ibo was saying was that there was a precedent for late November.

Mid December seems too late for me. Harder to get music industry publicity. Harder to get potential ticket buyer's focus. Harder to get people's money, with funds being committed for Christmas.

I've come round to early December as possible too. You're right, they have announced in December last time (which was December 5).

Window feels to me like 21 November to 5 December.

Which is incredibly soon!

• Like 1

That's why I'm not that convinced. Seems way too soon but also this year seems way too expensive in general and Primavera was, again, the first one unveiling new prices. I know for a fact that leaks are going out like crazy this year and maybe it's just bad luck (happens every other year) but could also mean that the line-up is done and ready to go.

On 10/29/2022 at 10:23 AM, xxialac said:

Trains will be even more expensive. Eurostar in particular is outrageously priced these days, other than off season.

There are very cheap train tickets to Madrid with way more competition on the route (two new low cost operators) and on superfast trains. So would look into flying back from there.

hmmmm it was pricier than i expected, but not horrific. probably still not worth doing though....

2 minutes ago, Ohjesus said:

hmmmm it was pricier than i expected, but not horrific. probably still not worth doing though....

For anyone flying to/from Madrid, there are now four operators doing the route, Renfe, AVLO, OUIGO and the new IRYO

• Renfe will be more expensive.
  • IRYO offers some flexibility on ticket changes.
  • The cheapest are AVLO and OUIGO. You might need to pay extra for luggage depending on how much you are bringing.

Sub-10 Euro tickets are not uncommon if booking well in advance, which is crazy value for a comfortable 3 hour train journey on a high speed line.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, diogozsz said:

Didn’t they announce they’d only sell tickets for a limited time after Depeche Mode’s announcement? Why are the tickets still being sold weeks after?

That's an easy question, isn't it?

Edited by Nesser

The direct flights to Barcelona for this were so expensive. We are going via Rome and the flights from London to Rome then Rome to Barcelona plus 2 nights hotel in Rome altogether is costing less than the direct flights to Barcelona. Then on the way back we are spending a day in Nice which again works out way cheaper than the direct flights.  

2 minutes ago, xxialac said:

Chemical Brothers and Blondie are touring in early June.

I could see both at PS for sure. 

Only thing to factor in is the Chemical Brothers are re doing a heap of cancelled shows from last year. Around Glasto, they wiped out about a week or two of gigs due to illness, so those are part of the equation for them. Not sure it'll matter - PS is early enough to have them included without clashing with a pre scheduled gig from twelve months (probably 24 or 36 month actually!) earlier. 

Blondie could be fun too. 

Well, that's not up to them. In fact one of the reasons the Madrid edition is held at Arganda del Rey and not Madrid is because of this. Mad Cool had to close at 3am last year and wasn't even in Madrid.

Roskilde is out and I guess Denzel Curry and Christine & the Queens are a lock. I could see Rina playing again from Pitchfork to Primavera/Ray-Ban or even Mordor if she brings some stage and for the love of god please grab HudMo before Sonar catch him again.

Edited by Nesser

7 minutes ago, Nesser said:

Well, that's not up to them. In fact one of the reasons the Madrid edition is held at Arganda del Rey and not Madrid is because of this. Mad Cool had to close at 3am last year and wasn't even in Madrid.

Roskilde is out and I guess Denzel Curry and Christine & the Queens are a lock. I could see Rina playing again from Pitchfork to Primavera/Ray-Ban or even Mordor if she brings some stage and for the love of god please grab HudMo before Sonar catch him again.

All I mean is that Chile has a typically Latin late night party culture and it's brutal to be forced to leave at a time when most locals would normally be going out. I wasn't having a dig at the festival.

The increased flights/ticket/accoms are going to totally price out a lot of the British and EU contingent this year now a lot of people are looking at tightening their belts anyway. Even with an enticing lineup, it's going to be difficult to keep it under £1k+ next year if you're flying from the UK, aren't able to fly in/out earlier, and aren't staying in a hostel. Certainly I'm thinking of swerving it for the first time in years after having a lot of grumbles with this year's festival and eyeing up the cost of next time, and anecdotally there doesn't seem a huge amount of excitement for it it in my usual friendship group.

A lot of festivals will be announcing over the next two-three weeks – some are starting to do so already – so it'll give a good indication of who's around, but I do think if they're leaving it until December it's going to be an uphill struggle getting people from abroad to commit as things start to gradually increase in price even more. The F1 clash really isn't helping either.

Yes, the F1 race is definitely making it much worse, just as the jubilee did this year.

Is it possible that the flight prices will come down a bit?

Airlines sometimes price flights high on basis that they think people must be keen to book so early.

Or would definitely look at flying to Madrid for one of the legs.

The lineup is going to be IMO the best on the planet and I expect it to sell out immediately. I wouldn't go to PS Madrid even if the flights are cheaper. It looks worse on every other metric.

6 minutes ago, DarthSaul said:

I flew in and out of Zaragoza and got the train to Barcelona this year to cut down on costs- was cheaper than Madrid. Haven't looked for 2023 but was very easy. 

thanks, i had a look, no direct flights (from LGW) though, and not cheap either..

30 minutes ago, xxialac said:

Yes, the F1 race is definitely making it much worse, just as the jubilee did this year.

Is it possible that the flight prices will come down a bit?

Haven't ever seen that happen for flights to Barcelona, sadly. Think the only way is up for them, which given they're already nudging £350/£400 even from regional airports is insane. Most casual festivalgers are going to take one look at that and think "nah", and for a lot of people the idea of going through Madrid/Zaragoza/Reus or elsewhere is a bit of a pain in the arse, particularly if you've not got much flexibility with work or timings. I think it'll really shave off a lot of casual festivalgoers from the UK who might've gone normally (which the locals are probably happy about!)

I haven't totally ruled it out personally but I'm aware the £1k+ I'm potentially spending on Primavera could be split between a couple of smaller/less corporate city festivals elsewhere, particularly as all the lineup will be inevitably be touring around over the summer. We'll see.

I just think a lot of people pricing things up when the lineup finally drops are going to be really shocked.

I’m flying out very late on Tuesday 30th from LGW to BCN then back to Gatwick on Monday 5th from Valencia.  Both Vueling.  Outbound flight was around £59 including a cabin bag, a seat and the “flex pack” flight credit guarantee.  My return was around £116, again including cabin bag, seat choice and “flex pack”.  So you could book the flights cheaper if you’re not arsed about where you sit and leave off the flex pack.  

I booked my hotel with free cancellation in May at a decent rate luckily.  Need to book a cheap hostel near the airport for the night of the 30th since I land after midnight.  

Edited by username666