Primavera Sound Barcelona 2023 + Primavera Sound Madrid 2023

Fnmentaluk

5 minutes ago, JedTheHumanoid said:

Meanwhile Pulp added another south american festival in November, this time Mexico. Starting to look like UK this summer, SA in November, and hopefully Europe (starting with PS) next spring

They certainly feel like the safest bet at this stage. Tour starts this week, right? 

Although I feel like this time last year, we were touting what seemed like guaranteed shows from the Arctic Monkeys or Bjork, so PS does often find a way to surprise us. 

1 minute ago, ConfidenceMan said:

They certainly feel like the safest bet at this stage. Tour starts this week, right? 

Although I feel like this time last year, we were touting what seemed like guaranteed shows from the Arctic Monkeys or Bjork, so PS does often find a way to surprise us. 

Yeah, instinct says they won’t play now (they don’t generally like to book headline bands at the end of their tour cycles) but it’s just a hunch. 

Given poor ticket sales this year, they ought to release an exciting name before tickets go on sale in July.

Have they ever announced a name before they sell the super early bird tickets ?

only time i remember was Pavement announced in 2019’s last day’s edition to play in 2020 (and it was some kind of gift for the 20th anniversary)

56 minutes ago, ibo said:

Have they ever announced a name before they sell the super early bird tickets ?

only time i remember was Pavement announced in 2019’s last day’s edition to play in 2020 (and it was some kind of gift for the 20th anniversary)

They announced neutral milk hotel one year at the festival for the following year 

1. New Order (surprised at people not enjoying them!)

2. Blur

3. Kendrick (maybe higher if I hadn't already seen him a few times)

4. Turnstile

5. Depeche Mode

6. Rosalia

7. The War on Drugs

8. Loyle Carner

9. Yves Tumor

10. Jockstrap

I regret missing John Cale and unfortunately missed JPEGMAFIA as well but we were dead by that point so wouldn't have even enjoyed the set.

3 hours ago, Drums Please Fab said:

And Radiohead. 

we need Radiohead.

Absolutely no way, I’m afraid. It could not possibly get any better than their 2016 gig, on for the ages.

Maybe Lana del Rey turns up this time after she was planned for 2020. Bad Bunny has gotten too big.

On Pulp and LCD I agree, Portishead would be a name to sell some early birds. 

I’d love to see Boygenius, really like the record

13 minutes ago, Fnmentaluk said:

How much was the drinks this year , and was Estrella the only beer available 

4.50 for a not-quite-pint. Nothing but Estrella.

1 hour ago, xxialac said:

Given how appallingly bad VIP was last year (and comparing it to how good it used to be), looking back it amazes me how well it sold this year. Lots of complaints about overcrowding.

I guess there are a surprising number of people who aren’t price sensitive...

Keep in mind plenty of people in VIP don't pay for it and are press/guests of the festival/on artist guestlists. Filling that up with people on freebies is one way to get decent money across the bar during the weekend.

4 minutes ago, jannybruck said:

4.50 for a not-quite-pint. Nothing but Estrella.

Keep in mind plenty of people in VIP don't pay for it and are press/guests of the festival/on artist guestlists. Filling that up with people on freebies is one way to get decent money across the bar during the weekend.

It's much closer to a half pint than a pint. They used to do large beers in the past.

And they did have another beer - Daura.

Edited by xxialac

Always love coming on here & reading the comments post festival. 

Thought this year was fantastic, been attending since 2010 (had to miss 2017 & skipped 2018), but this year was up there with the greats.  The magic has not been lost!

As someone else said, last year (or lets say DAY), was a blip.  It was SO easy getting around this year, getting food, drink & meeting back up with friends.  I was a little worried after the BITS area was lost, but not having that trek & the quieter site (except for Sat), meant it was far less work moving from stage to stage.  The bleed from Pull & Bear to the big stages was a little odd, thought it would be the other way round but also forgetting it was mainly electronic rather than a mix of bands.

Loved the Auditori being part of the festival & not having to come back in through the gates.  Dice access behind the mixing desk a nice touch too.

Highlights were Pet Shop Boys opening day (oh and Confidence Man being the perfect warm up), left halfway through Emeralds for the end of Built to Spill on Dice (Goin' Against Your Mind into Carry the Zero), TURNSTILE easily a highlight & exceeding my hype, filled that stage & awesome crowd, Boris were fun in the Auditori too & then New Order.  Le Tigre's mix was poor at first but definitely improved.  Soul Glo were pretty intense Fri afternoon, Delgados into Sparks was heaven, LOVED Karate (missing Depeche Mode felt like the right decision after their set), also caught a few opening songs from Alvvays & they sounded brilliant.  Four Tet was fun but Fridays all timer has to be Kyary Pamyu Pamyu ('this is my last song, BOO HOO!' ha! - what a show) - Unwound & then Channel Tres both so different but equally as good.  DOMi & JD Beck were a real surprise on the Sat, fantastic set.  Wasn't mad on John Cale so made the move to My Morning Jacket as the sun was setting, bliss.  Really enjoyed St Vincent into Caroline Polachek, ears being pounded (even with earplugs!) by Litvrgy, and then again by Gilla Band.  Mala in the warehouse was good but knackered me out for JPEGMAFIA, so took advantage of Saturdays all night metro.

Also shoutout to Bala who opened Cupra on the Friday, a real joy to watch.  Oh & the Japanese Breakfast show at Razzmatazz, great closer.

Edited by livenstu
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, livenstu said:

Always love coming on here & reading the comments post festival. 

Thought this year was fantastic, been attending since 2010 (had to miss 2017 & skipped 2018), but this year was up there with the greats.  The magic has not been lost!

As someone else said, last year (or let's say DAY), was a blip.  It was SO easy getting around this year, getting food, drink & meeting back up with friends.  I was a little worried after the BITS area was lost, but not having that trek & the quieter site (except for Sat), meant it was far less work moving from stage to stage.  The bleed from Pull & Bear to the big stages was a little odd, thought it would be the other way round but also forgetting it was mainly electronic rather than a mix of bands.

Loved the Auditori being part of the festival & not having to come back in through the gates.  Dice access behind the mixing desk a nice touch too.

Highlights were Pet Shop Boys opening day (oh and Confidence Man being the perfect warm up), end of Built to Spill on Dice (Goin' Against Your Mind into Carry the Zero), TURNSTILE easily a highlight & exceeding my hype, filled that stage & awesome crowd, Boris were fun in the Auditori too & then New Order.  Le Tigre's mix was poor at first but definitely improved.  Soul Glo were pretty intense Fri afternoon, Delgados into Sparks was heaven, LOVED Karate (missing Depeche Mode felt like the right thing to do after their set), also caught a few opening songs from Alvvays & they sounded brilliant.  Four Tet was fun but Fridays all timer has to be Kyary Pamyu Pamyu ('this is my last song, BOO HOO!' ha! - what a show) - Unwound & then Channel Tres both so different but equally as good.  DOMi & JD Beck were a real surprise on the Sat, fantastic set.  Wasn't mad on John Cale so made the move to My Morning Jacket as the sun was setting, bliss.  Really enjoyed St Vincent into Caroline Polachek, ears being pounded (even with earplugs!) by Litvrgy, and then again by Gilla Band.  Mala in the warehouse was good but knackered me out for JPEGMAFIA, so took advantage of Saturdays all night metro.

Also shoutout to Bala who opened Cupra on the Friday, a real joy to watch.  Oh & the Japanese Breakfast show at Razzmatazz, great closer.

Happy to see Mala get some love. DJ Storm into Nia Archives into Liturgy into Death Grips into Mala is possibly my greatest few hours of the festival ever. Just blown away by how good that entire stretch was, the space we had at each stage, and how alive I felt after 6 days of music.

• Upvote 1

just back after spending a few days in barcelona after and all i can say is...

wow, Rosalia was utterly sensational. talk about talent. she basically did a 90mins live music video with some  wonderful cinemtatic feel. it was out of this world. one of the most impressive live performences ive ever seen in terms of pure complete performence.

hell im happy with an artist i love just coming up on stage, banging out the hits and interacting with the crowd. what rosalia did was on another planet.

honestly though overall this was one of the best foreign festivals ive ever done. ive been to prima 3 times and this was overall the best for me. So much fun, so many incredible momentsl. electric brunch or whatever it was called on the sunday was also very very fun. Excellent festival, excellent performences.

Edited by TiZuff

4 hours ago, xxialac said:

I wouldnt rule out Radiohead at all. They did say they would get back on the road and they shift tickets.

Radiohead won't be touring whilst The Smile are finishing LP2 and will inevitably want to tour it and Ed O'Brien needs to finish his second album also and tour it like he's wanted to for 3 years but couldn't for obvious reasons. Radiohead are 2025 at the absolute earliest imo.

17 minutes ago, scatteredscreens said:

Radiohead won't be touring whilst The Smile are finishing LP2 and will inevitably want to tour it and Ed O'Brien needs to finish his second album also and tour it like he's wanted to for 3 years but couldn't for obvious reasons. Radiohead are 2025 at the absolute earliest imo.

The Smile won't be finishing LP2 next June. It sounds like it's already in post production and will be out at the end of the year.

They talked about doing some shows last year. I think we will see some Radiohead next year somewhere (maybe more the back end though starting in LatAm).

38 minutes ago, xxialac said:

The Smile won't be finishing LP2 next June. It sounds like it's already in post production and will be out at the end of the year.

They talked about doing some shows last year. I think we will see some Radiohead next year somewhere (maybe more the back end though starting in LatAm).

I want you to be true more than the next person but I just can't see it. The Smile will need to tour Europe with this new one which will bring us to the end of the year I think. Plus god knows when Ed will tour. Seems too early for 2024.

It's not inconceivable that Radiohead do some shows even if their members have ongoing side projects and tours

In 2018 they toured South America in April, Thom did a run of solo gigs around Europe in May/June, then was back out in the USA with Radiohead in July

It can be done, I think the biggest factor now is Ed and whatever his plans are. Could see him tour late this year/early 2024 and then who knows 

Phil will be done with his current cycle by then, Colin will almost definitely be available and Thom/Jonny can put The Smile on hold basically whenever they want. I'd say there's a small but still decent chance we see the full band touring next year and I NEED it 

4 minutes ago, UsernameHere said:

I'd be more excited for Radiohead than any other band on the planet but I'm definitely not getting my hopes up. They will play the festival again at some point but I'd say The Smile returning before Radiohead is probably more likely.

I agree that this is more likely atm