Volunteering 2022

stuie

3 minutes ago, DareToDibble said:

I might be jinxing myself here but this thread is filling me with optimism for next year should I fail to get tickets.

My third time this volunteering with WaterAid and I am almost at the stage of not wanting to attend any other way.  Its too complex to go into here but it has had a big impact on my life.  I am now on the Speaker Network and give talks in schools and to community groups on the aims of WaterAid.

I understand some people just want the in to the festival and the volunteering shifts are an embuggerance but as someone who spent a large part of their past life on combat operations and living a quite violent living, as a philosophical and middle aged reflective person who is relaxed in life, the volunteering is way more than a ticket in.

• Upvote 8

10 minutes ago, DareToDibble said:

I might be jinxing myself here but this thread is filling me with optimism for next year should I fail to get tickets.

For sure.  If you really want to go, there’s always ways in if you don’t get tickets. Demand is high this year but there’s still been plenty of opportunities.

Not with them this year (got a ticket) but I'd be grateful for an update on the Shelter situation.

Was the "coach from Bristol" being the only way in their decision or Avalons? (I have a feeling it was Avalons, as I think there have always been volunteers from other organisations on the coaches).

Was the training also Bristol only this year? (Becoming "Avalon Certified" as they phrase it).

How far away is the pick up point from the train station? Is there much accommodation nearby?

Paging @ohmygod& @garc1aI guess.

I'd also be glad to hear if anyone else thinks this could spell the end of them volunteering in the future.

It was already a huge faffle just making it to London for me.

Edited by MrZigster

46 minutes ago, MrZigster said:

Was the training also Bristol only this year? (Becoming "Avalon Certified" as they phrase it).

How far away is the pick up point from the train station? Is there much accommodation nearby?

Surely given the last 2 years and the move to all things MS Teams / Zoom they can do the training on-line?

Incredibly wasteful to get everyone to schlepp to face to face training.

20 minutes ago, Jay Pee said:

Surely given the last 2 years and the move to all things MS Teams / Zoom they can do the training on-line?

I know that Oxfam was only online training this year so would've thought water aid would be the same

1 hour ago, Jay Pee said:

I've been saying this for years. It's a right pita all round. Especially if you've already done it two/three times already and it's basically just here's how a multi pint pourer works. remember these two peoples names, challenge 25, don't serve inebriated people, bring some wet weather gear, don't do drugs, do your shifts or get kicked out, etc.. All pretty much common sense stuff even if you've never worked a bar before.

Hence me trying to find out what the score is this year. I've never known it so quiet on the Shelter front as this year. Especially with the controversy. I can't see "no posting on social media" in this years T&Cs but wonder if it's been implied.

Edit: Still theorising that, and trying to find out if, this an Avalon thing, not a Shelter thing. 

Edited by MrZigster

13 minutes ago, giantkatestacks said:

Just got an email stating the new entrance procedures this year.  Not going to say anything else on here but will be annoyed if it means no crew bars for the litter pickers. 

Oh that doesn’t sound good. I can’t imagine it will be too strict though… do the areas get the bar profits, from the likes of maceos and atchin tan? 

4 hours ago, MrZigster said:

Not with them this year (got a ticket) but I'd be grateful for an update on the Shelter situation.

Was the "coach from Bristol" being the only way in their decision or Avalons? (I have a feeling it was Avalons, as I think there have always been volunteers from other organisations on the coaches).

I'd also be glad to hear if anyone else thinks this could spell the end of them volunteering in the future.

Training was done on Zoom, which was just as well. Bus only from Bristol though, which is a bit of a logistical pain given I’m coming from Scotland, but I’m so glad to be going I don’t mind. Coach pick up is in Millenium Square, about 20 minutes walk from the train station.

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, Tranquility of Solitude said:

Training was done on Zoom, which was just as well. Bus only from Bristol though, which is a bit of a logistical pain given I’m coming from Scotland, but I’m so glad to be going I don’t mind. Coach pick up is in Millenium Square, about 20 minutes walk from the train station.

I think after everybody's initial surprise, we're all fine with it now really.  As tranquility said, just glad to be going.   Was speaking to other volunteers and it would appear that Shelter is a notch up on other volunteering options.  Good camping spot fairly central,  no overnight shifts, unlimited showers, better food allowance, cheap beer.   I think they seem to treat their volunteers fairly well as they want people serving customers to be fairly decent and with it especially if handling mountains of cash.

Probably offended others now and having only volunteered with Oxfam and worked with DC Site Services, I may be wrong, but we'll see.   

• Like 1

4 hours ago, MrZigster said:

They didn't state who gad made the call oh the coaches.  Just said that costs had hugely risen and after 2 years they needed to get back on their feet.  They did say though that they may reconsider next year though.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, giantkatestacks said:

Just got an email stating the new entrance procedures this year.  Not going to say anything else on here but will be annoyed if it means no crew bars for the litter pickers. 

Hi.

I just got my email too. I’m new to the recycling team this will be my first year as a volunteer, I’m on the co op team and was wondering if I should bring a Litter picker and hoop? 
thanks

1 hour ago, Tranquility of Solitude said:

aye im heading down from scotland also, it was a bit of a pain and cost a wee bit more as i already had my train tiks to london and accommodation booked in advance.. i thought i was being well smart booking in advance. a few jigs here and there and its prob added another 100 on to my travels and accommodation.  i am now heading to bristol to stay on the monday night where as i would usually be in london.  

all sorted however, i do hope it goes back to travelling from London next year, i did enjoy getting a day/night out there before heading to the sommerset fields/.

2 hours ago, giantkatestacks said:

Yes. I've just read that too and feel the same.  Hopefully doesn't mean no crew bar access

48 minutes ago, dondo said:

Yes. I've just read that too and feel the same.  Hopefully doesn't mean no crew bar access

Does whatever you guys have received say it’s confidential? 

10 minutes ago, giantkatestacks said:

I'm sure it is OK and I think all the rest of the volunteers with water aid and oxfam will receive the same info unless we are singled out for unusual punishment.  Basically no EPOs this year.

Isnt the EPO the tag in / tag out part of the band that all bands hand for the first time in 2019? Just different colours etc for different levels of access?

Or does the guidance imply that a standard worker / volunteer / staff band wont get you in crew bars?

It would be a shame if it's the latter as is certainly handy on Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday night. I can cope if they have tightened up but it was a good thing to have

13 minutes ago, giantkatestacks said:

I'm sure it is OK and I think all the rest of the volunteers with water aid and oxfam will receive the same info unless we are singled out for unusual punishment.  Basically no EPOs this year.

For customers?  How does that affect crew bar access? I'm worried now lol

Just now, Jay Pee said:

Isnt the EPO the tag in / tag out part of the band that all bands hand for the first time in 2019? Just different colours etc for different levels of access?

Or does the guidance imply that a standard worker / volunteer / staff band wont get you in crew bars?

It would be a shame if it's the latter as is certainly handy on Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday night. I can cope if they have tightened up but it was a good thing to have

Well, it makes volunteering a whole lot less attractive! 😞

Sorry for multiple posts! 

I can't see they'd exclude everyone as the volunteers must spend a decent amount of wonga in the bars!