Róisín Murphy

stuartbert two hats

10 hours ago, Rose-Colored Boy said:

Agreed, here is the conversation that needs to happen:

”Is there a wild global conspiracy to eliminate women and women’s rights, via the medium of Ru Paul’s Drag Race, for the benefit of 0.1% of the population?”

”No”

”Do trans people deserve to live in peace and just be able to go the loo where they want”

”Yes”

The end

Whilst I agree with the sentiment 100%, drag queens and trans people are not one and the same. Suggesting so is transphobic in itself.*

See how easy one comment online can lead to people making judgments about you? 

*I don’t actually think you’re transphobic for the record. 

10 hours ago, Amy Lawn said:

It's just a debate about the puberty blockers, it's just a debate about sports, it's just a debate about prisons, it's just a debate about women's shelters, it's just a debate about bathrooms, it's just a debate about legal recognition.

You know it's funny how you never hear from trans people in these "debates", and they're all cropping up at the same time, despite there having been absolutely no harm occuring to prompt them, and it's just a coincidence that the right wing really loves this sh*t and keeps pushing it. And the answer is never for the experts in the relevant field to be given the space and funding to look into it, and for the trans community to be involved and consulted. It always ends in insults, stigma, the removal of services, cis people get the first, second, middle and last word in all of it.

What about when trans people want to have a debate about the complete removal of healthcare provisions, or the constant stigma, or the constant administerial battles, or the cost, or the huge mental health toll of a lifetime of being portrayed as and treated as a joke or a disgrace, or the tangible increase in hostility and derision your debate is having. That debate never gets heard does it.

11 hours ago, Skip997 said:

Lets just close down all debate, it's safer that way.

1 hour ago, Frankly Mr Shankly said:

Whilst I agree with the sentiment 100%, drag queens and trans people are not one and the same. Suggesting so is transphobic in itself.*

What are you saying here? It would be incredibly bad faith to judge RCB of anything more than clumsy wording from that post.

1 hour ago, Amy Lawn said:

What are you saying here? It would be incredibly bad faith to judge RCB of anything more than clumsy wording from that post.

I was making a point that a misconstrued or badly worded comment online doesn’t always equate to someone being an evil person worthy of total cancellation. - it was an observation about cancel culture. 

For the record I don’t condone Rosin Murphy’s views at all, my own views are completely the opposite. But I don’t think instantly cancelling someone who questions something or branding them with labels is the way to progress forward. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Frankly Mr Shankly said:

But I don’t think instantly cancelling someone who questions something or branding them with labels is the way to progress forward. 

It's really not.

All it does is stifle debate and potentially prevent the person from learning about the situation and possibly changing their view.

6 minutes ago, Skip997 said:

It's really not.

All it does is stifle debate and potentially prevent the person from learning about the situation and possibly changing their view.

Her view is 'fixed' - she says so in her statement. 

Who should act differently here? And what exactly do you define as "cancelling"? Can you describe what exact actions taken by which people you disagree with and how do you think they should act instead?

All I see is fans who are upset with somebody espousing harmful views, as they have a right to be, and stopping to be fans of hers, as she herself says they have a right to be. Who's responsibility is it for Murphy's education on this topic? Surely her own, she's a grown adult. How can there be an opportunity for her to learn when she herself says she won't engage any further.

• Upvote 2

10 hours ago, Frankly Mr Shankly said:

It was intended as a reference to TERFs bellyaching about things like Drag Queen Story Hour and Drag Race as part of their “you’re erasing women” nonsense. Fear not, I’m well aware they aren’t the same thing! Sorry for being unclear ❤️

Edited by Rose-Colored Boy
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Rumours circulating that Ninja Tune have stopped promoting the album.  No idea whether or not it's true.

Yup. All profits on the record company side to go to transfer charities

https://www.thestar.com/entertainment/music/r-is-n-murphys-record-label-ceases-promotion-of-her-new-record-following-transphobic-social/article_9217e450-3bc1-5995-bd78-2249fe65e90f.html

• Like 1

On 8/29/2023 at 5:31 PM, Rose-Colored Boy said:

f**k me. “You made have felt a huge shock, blinded by this so abruptly”. “I will now bow out of this conversation within the public domain” !!!

Read some bad non-apologies for transphobia recently but that’s properly dreadful. 

she clearly feels bullied into shutting up,  which activists everywhere can glory in their bullying.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

36 minutes ago, Neil said:

she clearly feels bullied into shutting up,  which activists everywhere can glory in their bullying.

She’s every right to say what she wants but people are just as entitled to criticise her, in particular the “I’m sorry if you felt upset”-type gaslighting, and the implication she didn’t realise a large proportion of her fans were LGBT+ which is just an out and out lie 

IMG_8161.jpeg

IMG_8162.jpeg

Edited by Rose-Colored Boy

As with Brexit, it’s a pretty good rule for life that if the people siding with your point of view are almost-exclusively massive bellends and all the nice people seem to be on the other side then your point of view is probably wrong. I hope she comes around but from the tone of that statement it sounds like the views she’s expressed in public are on the mild end of what she and her friends discuss in private sadly.