Old fart looking for a quiet(ish) camping spot.

Arfcollins

Does such a place exist on the site? To be honest, I'm not expecting quiet, but our previous experience of camping on site was awful. Pissed people falling over the tent at 3 in the morning and a neighbour with drug-induced Tourettes. 

Are there any camping areas that are a bit out of the way, and not cheek to jowl? 

We're pretty excited, having got resale tickets today. We've previously stayed with friends who lived near the site, but the buggers have moved house without consulting us. 

I’m looking for something similar myself tbh. First step if you’ve not already come across it is Tort’s Glastonbury FAQ campsite section

General wisdom is the fields out to the west of the site are quieter & calmer with a bit more space. I’m thinking of heading to Baileys or one of the South Parks…

Trade off obviously is a longer walk in the morning & at the end of each night, and much further to pop back to the tent if you forget something.

Prob the busiest areas are around The Park and Other stage - Pennards, Park Home and Oxlyers - and near the Pyramid: Big Ground, Row Mead & Kidney Mead. I’d definitely avoid them if you’re looking for a bit more space.

Earplugs aren’t a bad idea, but be extra cautious of tent security given you’re less likely to hear someone thieving. Use the lockups! 

Try to avoid pitching your tent near a through route to cut down on random drunk or stoned people tripping over your tent. This can be a bit tricky, especially if you’re in early - apart from the main pedestrian trackways around the site, walking routes through the camping fields themselves sort of evolve organically as later arrivals turn up. 

Don’t pitch too near a long drop: not only cos of the smell, but also the doors screeching and banging 24/7. 

Most importantly make sure you have so much fun that you sleep through anything once you finally get back to your tent! 😂 

(But not so much that you’re the one tripping over other peoples’ 😉)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Arfcollins said:

Does such a place exist on the site? To be honest, I'm not expecting quiet, but our previous experience of camping on site was awful. Pissed people falling over the tent at 3 in the morning and a neighbour with drug-induced Tourettes. 

Are there any camping areas that are a bit out of the way, and not cheek to jowl? 

We're pretty excited, having got resale tickets today. We've previously stayed with friends who lived near the site, but the buggers have moved house without consulting us. 

Darble. It's a bit of a trek from the SE Corner on an evening but is; close to Gate A if you're coming in that way, quiet, and there's generally plenty of room.

13 minutes ago, jimmillen said:

I’m looking for something similar myself tbh. First step if you’ve not already come across it is Tort’s Glastonbury FAQ campsite section

General wisdom is the fields out to the west of the site are quieter & calmer with a bit more space. I’m thinking of heading to Baileys or one of the South Parks…

Trade off obviously is a longer walk in the morning & at the end of each night, and much further to pop back to the tent if you forget something.

Prob the busiest areas are around The Park and Other stage - Pennards, Park Home and Oxlyers - and near the Pyramid: Big Ground, Row Mead & Kidney Mead. I’d definitely avoid them if you’re looking for a bit more space.

Earplugs aren’t a bad idea, but be extra cautious of tent security given you’re less likely to hear someone thieving. Use the lockups! 

Try to avoid pitching your tent near a through route to cut down on random drunk or stoned people tripping over your tent. This can be a bit tricky, especially if you’re in early - apart from the main pedestrian trackways around the site, walking routes through the camping fields themselves sort of evolve organically as later arrivals turn up. 

Don’t pitch too near a long drop: not only cos of the smell, but also the doors screeching and banging 24/7. 

Most importantly make sure you have so much fun that you sleep through anything once you finally get back to your tent! 😂 

(But not so much that you’re the one tripping over other peoples’ 😉)

This is a great post and spot on.

I would say check the map out and aim for places that are out of the way, there are plenty of campsites that you don’t need to walk through unless you’re camped there, so those are the ones to aim for. I guess if you want minimal noise and people walking past then you probably want to aim for the middle of these campsites. Just bear in mind getting back to your tent at night will involve running the gauntlet over guy ropes though.

There's plenty of relatively quiet spots out west - try Baileys, South Park etc etc 

But you can't account for noisy neighbours - we camped close by to a bunch of fucked up kids in a pretty quiet field last time...who ended up being kicked off the site for robbing tents.  ugh

On 4/2/2022 at 12:57 AM, CaledonianGonzo said:

Hitchin Hill was quiet last time I camped there.

I've camped here twice and it is usually fine. Last time I had to deal with someone who snored like he was about to die every night, which wasn't nice. And had some group of people shouting all night on Sunday night until someone screamed to them and they went quiet. 

I guess you can always get those people though.

We camped on Rig's Field in 2019. It was nice and quiet as it's one of the smaller camping areas and also surrounded by hedges. There's a massive tree in the middle which could provide some shelter and shade. The only donwside is that it's against the fence and the patrols go on all night along the fence with their loud vehicles. But that might not be an issue this year because the campervan area will be Sticklinch. They might patrol around that. 

It's a bit of walk from the main areas but if it's peace and quiet you're after, that's probably your best bet.

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/27/2022 at 8:24 PM, Losing my hair said:

Darble. It's a bit of a trek from the SE Corner on an evening but is; close to Gate A if you're coming in that way, quiet, and there's generally plenty of room.

I can vouch for Darble. Camped there since 2015 and wouldn’t change it. Love the space and don’t mind the 40 minute walk from SW corner - if anything it helps sober you a bit before trying to sleep

We’ve camped in Pylon Ground/ Rivermead the last few years, within sight of the fence, and always had space around us throughout the wkend and been ‘fairly’ quiet - but earplugs are very helpful!
It generally depends on your neighbours, so can come down to luck, but you should be fine if you head for the outer areas along the western edge of the festival.