Who’s Playing What Day?

Somto Unigwe Raphael

On 3/13/2022 at 12:49 PM, sisco said:

I’d presumed The Undertones would be header size for acoustic (they’re playing it that day)

On 3/13/2022 at 12:49 PM, Gnomicide said:

I can't see Undertones headlining unless they got Feargal Gurgles back.

I heard and hope for paulo nutini doing the acoustic tent   

6 hours ago, Bagger said:

I heard and hope for paulo nutini doing the acoustic tent   

I might be misunderstanding this but have you heard he's playing the Acoustic stage or do you just mean that's where you want him to play? He's surely far too big for that even as a secret set.

11 hours ago, kingcrawler said:

I might be misunderstanding this but have you heard he's playing the Acoustic stage or do you just mean that's where you want him to play? He's surely far too big for that even as a secret set.

What capacity do you reckon the acoustic stage is?

10 minutes ago, adequate8 said:

What capacity do you reckon the acoustic stage is?

The tent they've used the past few years has an official capacity of 7,880 before any staging/sound desks/accessible platforms are added.

After all of those are put in, it'll be around 6,000, maybe a bit less.

Been a few years since I’ve posted so hello all… don’t think anyone has mentioned this yet, so I’ll wade in.

I’ve been told that Florence & The Machine were offered secret set in the Park this year but declined (she wants to headline again but not on this album so holding out for pyramid set on the next album) 

So looks like a) there’s a secret set again in Park this year, b) potentially headliner scale artists playing it, c) expect Florence to headline again in a couple of years (no surprise here)

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, wilem said:

Been a few years since I’ve posted so hello all… don’t think anyone has mentioned this yet, so I’ll wade in.

I’ve been told that Florence & The Machine were offered secret set in the Park this year but declined (she wants to headline again but not on this album so holding out for pyramid set on the next album) 

So looks like a) there’s a secret set again in Park this year, b) potentially headliner scale artists playing it, c) expect Florence to headline again in a couple of years (no surprise here)

She wants to headline but not on this album?! Kind of weird, unless she’s explicitly been told that there are no slots available to her for next year at least.

Think a few (including me) on here were expecting a secret set from her so bit of a bummer if this is true, but ah well, I’m sure there’ll be plenty more!

Edited by FloorFiller

I've said before that I was told and believe that she'd have headlined last year without COVID hitting.

But what's weird there is that a Park Stage secret set this year really wouldn't have negatively impacted on her prospects of doing it next album - arguably it'd have locked it in.

I had been predicting a Florence secret set on the Park as it seemed like a perfect fit, so it’s a shame if it’s not happening. I do think she’ll be back to headline at some point, possibly on her next album as she seems to be hoping, but this seems like a strange way to go about it. 

This seems like a good time to ask how secret sets actually happen. In this case it seems like Florence was offered one by the stage bookers, is that what normally happens? That makes sense for acts like her and Foals but the idea of the JP tent reaching out to The Killers in 2017 feels very ambitious. I always assumes it was more from the bands side, approaching the festival wanting to play either directly as a secret set or indirectly if all the big slots were filled and this was the only way to get on the lineup and get some good publicity. 

23 minutes ago, wilem said:

On c) why would the festival do her a favour when she won't do one for them?  She's not such a gold-plated no-brain choice that they can't tell her to dab down.

2 minutes ago, kingcrawler said:

This seems like a good time to ask how secret sets actually happen. In this case it seems like Florence was offered one by the stage bookers, is that what normally happens? That makes sense for acts like her and Foals but the idea of the JP tent reaching out to The Killers in 2017 feels very ambitious.

That's complicated slightly because of who the bookers actually are and how they connect to other stages. This is all based on how it was a few years ago, so specifics may have changed a bit but the general idea probably holds -

Three stages are directly booked by GFL - Pyramid, Other, JP - with the team still officially being led by Martin Elbourne but reportedly being driven largely by Nick these days so either way a JP set builds a relationship with the person/people that can put you on top of the Pyramid. Regardless of whether it's the festival or the band that made first contact, I suspect that the conversation with The Killers probably didn't start with the JP Tent but rather with the idea of playing the Festival generally, and then JP was identified as a spot that worked from both sides.

The Park is still booked by Nick and Emily as their pet project, or people they delegate to, and obviously they have a huge hand in the central team as well so there's also an opportunity for relationship building there.

Whereas other stages - West Holts, Acoustic, Avalon, etc generally have defined bookers or teams that may answer to but mostly sit outside of GFL.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

41 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

She wants to headline but not on this album?! Kind of weird, unless she’s explicitly been told that there are no slots available to her for next year at least.

It does feel like 2023 feels locked in. Although aside from Swift I can’t think of two obvious other contenders. Arctic Monkeus could be one, but we don’t really know who has approached the festival between say 2020-onward asking to headline and been given a place for 2023.

Just now, Matt42 said:

It does feel like 2023 feels locked in. Although aside from Swift I can’t think of two obvious other contenders. Arctic Monkeus could be one, but we don’t really know who has approached the festival between say 2020-onward asking to headline and been given a place for 2023.

I reckon they’ll be totally backlogged with possible headliners for next year, especially with this year having two holdovers from 2020, and then you’ve gotta add in all the other acts who’ve released shit and want to tour. May not seem obvious to us who they are, but they’re surely as good as locked in I’d have thought. 

7 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

I reckon they’ll be totally backlogged with possible headliners for next year, especially with this year having two holdovers from 2020, and then you’ve gotta add in all the other acts who’ve released shit and want to tour. May not seem obvious to us who they are, but they’re surely as good as locked in I’d have thought. 

All the drips and drabs that 2023 is already full gives me hope for Swifty, but yeah it still is a bit unknown. 

I think Taylor 2023, and Dua 2024 could be pretty much locked in already. Also some massive heritage act (likes of U2, Fleetwood, etc) probably around too.

1 hour ago, Matt42 said:

I reckon might be looking at ‘24 to be honest for Flo… back to back albums one year to the next seems ambitious. 

Although Swift, Flo… heavy female lineup could see it happening  

8 minutes ago, Hugh Jass II said:

I’m surprised that Flo would turn down the chance to do a secret set, especially given her historic good relationship with the festival.

As others have said, doing a secret set is hardly a barrier to headlining further down the line.

No question about the legitimacy of this source. She turned it down