Who’s Playing What Day?

Somto Unigwe Raphael

No hate for Florence whatsoever, but my perception is she’d be a bit of a step down from the level of recent Pyramid headliners, no? Just me?

Feels more like a safe option if somebody else falls through rather than a first choice must-have. 🤷‍♂️

1 hour ago, Matt42 said:

It does feel like 2023 feels locked in. Although aside from Swift I can’t think of two obvious other contenders. Arctic Monkeus could be one, but we don’t really know who has approached the festival between say 2020-onward asking to headline and been given a place for 2023.

So I heard from someone in the music industry that it's Arctic Monkeys for Park secret set had the same info about the Foals set and turned out to be correct in 2019. However, I just can't see it! We'd have Killers 2017 levels of overcrowding surely 

Edited by buffy394
Correction

3 minutes ago, buffy394 said:

So I heard from someone in the music industry that it's Arctic Monkeys for Park secret set had the same info about the Foals set and turned out to be correct in 2019. However, I just can't see it! We'd have Killers 2017 levels of overcrowding surely 

Who knows. Killers in JP was quite silly, but yeah I agree with you that if it got out it would be stupidly busy. Unless they put them up against Diana.

7 minutes ago, buffy394 said:

They’ll just close the area if they need to. Park is good as there are only two ways in or out so they can maintain a level of control.

Just now, Matt42 said:

Who knows. Killers in JP was quite silly, but yeah I agree with you that if it got out it would be stupidly busy. Unless they put them up against Diana.

Can't see the festival ever putting on a secret set against the legend slot, would be a massive kick in the teeth and could compromise who they can book in the future. 

Feel like the John Peel is almost a better option for secret sets, much easier to close the field off. The Park always gets full way beyond the point of being able to see/hear the band. Swear that 50% of the crowds you see for Park secret sets can barely hear a thing.

8 minutes ago, buffy394 said:

Hope this one turns out, would be fantastic

2 minutes ago, kingbadger said:

Can't see the festival ever putting on a secret set against the legend slot, would be a massive kick in the teeth and could compromise who they can book in the future. 

Feel like the John Peel is almost a better option for secret sets, much easier to close the field off. The Park always gets full way beyond the point of being able to see/hear the band. Swear that 50% of the crowds you see for Park secret sets can barely hear a thing.

Did the Killers come on not long / close to Barry Gibb? Can’t remember 

1 minute ago, Matt42 said:

Did the Killers come on not long / close to Barry Gibb? Can’t remember 

Think they came on after, clashed with Chic if I recall. Though you'd really had to have been in there for Frank Carter before to have seen The Killers. 

1 minute ago, kingbadger said:

That's partially why The Park is the better option (from a H&S perspective) though - There's so much extra space beyond the "natural" area of the stage - even going up the hill if needed.

6 minutes ago, kingbadger said:

Think they came on after, clashed with Chic if I recall. Though you'd really had to have been in there for Frank Carter before to have seen The Killers. 

Aye they were same time as Chic

5 minutes ago, incident said:

That's partially why The Park is the better option (from a H&S perspective) though - There's so much extra space beyond the "natural" area of the stage - even going up the hill if needed.

I’m sure I’ve been at the Park before when it’s been really busy and they’ve introduced a one way system where you enter through the entrance at the top and leave out the bottom.

12 minutes ago, kingbadger said:

Yeah that’s right.  I was in there nice and early and really enjoyed Frank Carter

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, incident said:

True, but my point is by the time they need to crowd manage how many people are entering The Park, those people coming in aren't going to get near enough to the stage to see or hear anything. Least with the JP they can shut it off as soon as they reach that point. Once the tent and that little surrounding area is full, that's it. 

7 minutes ago, kingbadger said:

True, but my point is by the time they need to crowd manage how many people are entering The Park, those people coming in aren't going to get near enough to the stage to see or hear anything. Least with the JP they can shut it off as soon as they reach that point. Once the tent and that little surrounding area is full, that's it. 

Reaching the point where they have to shut off access creates it's own problems outside the field.

Didn’t Emily or one of the festival team pretty much come out & say they weren’t going to do secret sets from big names any more, precisely because of the overcrowding problems? Have I imagined that? 🤔

If that’s changed then I guess they might think they have a solution to the crowding. Seems a bit of a risk though. 

They’ve shut off the Park entrance before haven’t they? For the likes of Radiohead and maybe Pulp? So overcrowding not really an issue for when they’ve got big secret sets. And yeah, obviously there’s endless space up the hill for big crowds, even if they can hear fuck all.

1 minute ago, jimmillen said:

Didn’t Emily or one of the festival team pretty much come out & say they weren’t going to do secret sets from big names any more, precisely because of the overcrowding problems? Have I imagined that? 🤔

If that’s changed then I guess they might think they have a solution to the crowding. Seems a bit of a risk though. 

Well they had Foals in ‘19, so whilst not quite headliner sized, still a huge draw at the festival who got a massive crowd. Clearly backtracked on that a bit.

17 minutes ago, Hugh Jass II said:

I’m sure I’ve been at the Park before when it’s been really busy and they’ve introduced a one way system where you enter through the entrance at the top and leave out the bottom.

Yeah this was in place for Pulp I think. We went to leave out the top/side entrance and got redirected to the bottom. 

39 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

They’d be a good option for Sunday early evening. Big crowds at the Pyramid for Diana and then potentially the Other stage shortly after for Sam Fender. They’d obviously draw a ridiculously big crowd for the Park but putting them on up there when a load of people have been at the Pyramid for a bit and then a big crowd at the Other stage might make it easy enough to stop the Park getting overcrowded.

45 minutes ago, buffy394 said:

Really really hoping this is true! And formulating plans to make sure I am there if it is

1 hour ago, Hugh Jass II said:

As others have said, doing a secret set is hardly a barrier to headlining further down the line.

To be fair there's plenty of other reasons she may have turned it down. I very much doubt its because she thinks it does her headlining ambitions harm.  

50 minutes ago, Florian Saucer Attack said:

This morning's revelation has only increased the likelihood of the LCD secret set we all want to happen. Let us rejoice 

This has been ruled out multiple times now. 

Ah I missed that there was actual info for AM at the Park and thought we were just speculating. That’d be a huge one, especially now that the info is potentially out there with three months to the festival. Feel bad for whoever’s on before them - playing to a ginormous crowd but barely any of them there to actually see you.