Aliens at Glastonbury?

Guest RoyC

Anyone reckon there might be room for The Aliens somewhere in the lineup? They played a cracking set at the Queen's Head last year, but seriously unfortunate scheduling meant it was only witnessed by about 30 people (quote from the singer: "I would say hi to my girlfriend, but she's probably gone to see Blur like everybody else"). They definitely deserve a bigger crowd, maybe JP or Park?

At the very least, they're great for entertainingly misleading thread titles. :P

Entertainingly misleading indeed.

As someone who hasnt got much of a clue about music post '96 I thought you were referring to UFOs witnessed by the masses at the fest. :P

My first experience of witnessing Sky Lanterns back in 2004 was a classic aliens at Glasto occurrence. 10 of the blighters had caught a horizontal thermal heading west from the Stone Circle whilst me and my friends were partying late night at the Glade...we were all mesmerised...10 floating red lights moving slowly west...in the state we were in...priceless :P

Edited by LusciousLucy

Entertainingly misleading indeed.

As someone who hasnt got much of a clue about music post '96 I thought you were referring to UFOs witnessed by the masses at the fest. :P

My first experience of witnessing Sky Lanterns back in 2004 was a classic aliens at Glasto occurrence. 10 of the blighters had caught a horizontal thermal heading west from the Stone Circle whilst me and my friends were partying late night at the Glade...we were all mesmerised...10 floating red lights moving slowly west...in the state we were in...priceless :P

They were excellent over at The Park a few years ago.

Last year I got chatting to em in the 50's Diner in LV , they were all having a good old dance on

the Saturday night.

Did not get chance to see em in the Queens Head on the Sunday cos I wanted to see Prodigy and

had seen em in Leeds a few weeks before.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest blackcockerel

Sadly they won't be there this year. John from the band says they're not doing anything as a band in 2010 and are working on other projects. Bugger.

I have a very cool story about my first ever Glastonbury in 2007....

After turning up at the camper van entrance on the East side of the site (I was given a lift in a camper van) I was unfortunately informed that I would have to walk all the way around the site to the West ticket entrance due to having a normal camper's ticket. I had no lift because my friends had already parked up so I started the mammoth walk around the country lanes of the outer wall in the pissing wet rain.

Armed with just 3 cans of Strongbow, I desparately tried to hitch hike along the way...

The only vehicle to pull over was a medium sized tour bus. The man at the front of this bus laughed at me in the rain and said that I could get a lift with them if I could show them the way to the artists' section. I climbed aboard after lying to him that the artist section was coincidentally in the same location as my entrance.

On board I was introduced to the Aliens. I had never heard of them in my life nor have I seen them anywhere since but they were very very cool guys who seemed to find it funny that I was technically hitch hiking to Glastonbury. They took me right into the site and allowed me to get inside in time to catch The Coral on the Other stage. My friends didn't believe me...I have seen aliens..

I have a very cool story about my first ever Glastonbury in 2007....

After turning up at the camper van entrance on the East side of the site (I was given a lift in a camper van) I was unfortunately informed that I would have to walk all the way around the site to the West ticket entrance due to having a normal camper's ticket. I had no lift because my friends had already parked up so I started the mammoth walk around the country lanes of the outer wall in the pissing wet rain.

Armed with just 3 cans of Strongbow, I desparately tried to hitch hike along the way...

The only vehicle to pull over was a medium sized tour bus. The man at the front of this bus laughed at me in the rain and said that I could get a lift with them if I could show them the way to the artists' section. I climbed aboard after lying to him that the artist section was coincidentally in the same location as my entrance.

On board I was introduced to the Aliens. I had never heard of them in my life nor have I seen them anywhere since but they were very very cool guys who seemed to find it funny that I was technically hitch hiking to Glastonbury. They took me right into the site and allowed me to get inside in time to catch The Coral on the Other stage. My friends didn't believe me...I have seen aliens..

• 11 years later...

I saw lights over Glastonbury in 2007, 4 in a row, had no idea what they were at the time, almost certainly Chinese lanterns.

whilst I absolutely believe we are not the only intelligent life in the universe I do not believe we are visited by that intelligent life. Not only are inhabitable planets separated by insurmountable distances but by billions of years, the chances of intelligent life existing on a planet close enough to us to be able to get to us at the same time that we exist is zero. 

21 minutes ago, Smeble said:

whilst I absolutely believe we are not the only intelligent life in the universe I do not believe we are visited by that intelligent life. Not only are inhabitable planets separated by insurmountable distances but by billions of years, the chances of intelligent life existing on a planet close enough to us to be able to get to us at the same time that we exist is zero. 

Agree with this, given the vast and infinite nature of the universe I find it impossible to believe that this is the only planet with intelligent life on it.

10 hours ago, blutarsky said:

Also, found this: https://edition.cnn.com/2009/WORLD/europe/08/17/ufo.sightings/index.html

Was anyone there? 1994 so I reckon @glasto-worker is our best bet. 

I may have been there. It's hard to say, really, for a number of reasons. I also may, or may not, have witnessed strange lights in the sky above the festival. Again, it's hard to say whether I did or didn't for a number of reasons. Talk about talking for talking's sake. Sorry, that really wasn't a 'proper' answer, was it? It was the best that I could proffer though, if that's any good to anybody!

• Upvote 1