2023 Festival

TheWaters

20 minutes ago, KJP98 said:

The Killers sold out a full 13 date stadium tour, albeit some smaller ones but did two nights at the Emirates and Old Trafford.. could Green Day do that? Not sure but they only did 4 dates on the Hella Mega and that was with Fall out Boy although all 4 did sell out I think.

"maybe not England"

1 hour ago, Matt86 said:

I get that you prefer the Killers, but Green Day is considered bigger (not only on spotify or stuff like that, but they, for example, performed (and sold out) in bigger places than The Killers in Italy, France and Germany. maybe not England, this I don't know)

As a fan of both bands who has seen both this year, I'd say globally Green Day are bigger but that the UK is a place that's out of step with that trend.

Edited by charlierc

2 hours ago, Matt86 said:

I get that you prefer the Killers, but Green Day is considered bigger (not only on spotify or stuff like that, but they, for example, performed (and sold out) in bigger places than The Killers in Italy, France and Germany. maybe not England, this I don't know)

Maybe not in England - the country that actually matters ....

44 minutes ago, gfa said:

Maybe not in England - the country that actually matters ....

lol I don't know what to answer to this disrespect towards others countries... yes man, England is best country in the World, only UK matters 🙂 u happy ? fuck The U.S, Germany, France, Italy etc... (damn you're stupid...)

Let's see their longevity, number of albums sold or number of listeners per month... you know, in order to be impartial...

Green Day : 1987 - today // 75 millions // 21 millions

The Killers : 2022 - today // 12 millions // 18 millions

ok thank you bye @gfa

• Downvote 1

2 minutes ago, Muppetmark said:

This is an English festival with a very small international contingent so foreign sales dont matter. Otherwise the 1975 and biffy clyro should never have headlined.

So i guess

( are you THAT sure R&L international contingent is small... ? it is a famous fest', only time I've been there in 2017 there was many nationalities represented.. )

ANYWAY I'm not stubborn, if you're right and 90% of the crowd is from England, then The Killers might be a better booking for R&L

59 minutes ago, Matt86 said:

lol I don't know what to answer to this disrespect towards others countries... yes man, England is best country in the World, only UK matters 🙂 u happy ? fuck The U.S, Germany, France, Italy etc... (damn you're stupid...)

Let's see their longevity, number of albums sold or number of listeners per month... you know, in order to be impartial...

Green Day : 1987 - today // 75 millions // 21 millions

The Killers : 2022 - today // 12 millions // 18 millions

ok thank you bye @gfa

Don’t throw your toys out the pram 😂

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, SleepingGiants said:

Don't think this should be a debate really. If you polled the UK on the Killers and Green Day, the Killers would be immensely more popular.

Just need to look at their spotify stats, killers have less global listeners sure - but 50% more listeners in London

20 minutes ago, gfa said:

Just need to look at their spotify stats, killers have less global listeners sure - but 50% more listeners in London

Exactly. Green Day are obviously internationally the bigger act. But in the UK there really is no comparison - and as the UK makes up 99% of Leeds fest attendees... 

I think The Killers are theoretically the stronger booking.

The argument of Greenday vs Killers is so out there, its two different types of band.

One is the American version of Muse or Coldplay. One is a blown up garage rock band.

The Killers you would hear in some throwback club, Green Day you would hear down the skate park. You would never hear either at the other.

I absolutely love The Killers, they were the band that got me through my teen angst phase, and Dustland Fairytale was mine and my wife's song. But they are what Imagine Dragons could have been if they didn't turn in to Nickelback.

2 hours ago, TornShaun said:

I can't even believe people think The Killers are even close to Green Day lol WTF have i come back into on this forum lol

Everybody from the 90s knows Green Day had the ear worms of the 00s. You think of Americans, chances are you think of the lyrics "don't want to be an American Idiot", a lot of funerals will have Good Riddance play, and we instantly recall all the words and tune when somebody said "I walk this lonely road".

Everybody knows the Killers as the sound of their teens. Human and Things that I've done were the sound of my teens in 2006-08 (along with Biffy Mountains etc).

Completely different type of music though. It's like saying "I prefer crisps over cake".

I love both, but let's not be silly here. The Killers are bigger in the UK, they're absolutely massive. They did something daft like 12 stadium dates this year with special guests. They also shifted nearly 200,000 arena tickets in 2017 without guests. Green Day are filling 3 stadiums by bringing big names with them. 

For what it's worth I saw The Killers this year and they were fantastic, haven't skipped a beat since I saw them last, and they actually have great newer tracks like Caution. I'll always have a soft spot for Green Day, but they haven't released a good album in 18 years and even they know it. You might get two from 21st Century Breakdown but they play literally nothing from the next five albums. That last one made MGK sound like Nirvana. 

• Upvote 3

12 hours ago, Matt86 said:

( are you THAT sure R&L international contingent is small... ? it is a famous fest', only time I've been there in 2017 there was many nationalities represented.. )

ANYWAY I'm not stubborn, if you're right and 90% of the crowd is from England, then The Killers might be a better booking for R&L

I’d say that roughly 75% of the crowd is from England and 15% from Wales in Reading and 15% from Scotland in Leeds.

The rest is from overseas.

9 hours ago, Chad888 said:

The Killers you would hear in some throwback club, Green Day you would hear down the skate park. You would never hear either at the other.

Not only that but also pretty much every club I've been to has played Mr. Brightside in one form or another. Can't say the same about any of Green Day's hits tbf. Even the emo clubs I frequent all play Mr. Brightside and it is about the only indie song they play bar I Bet You Look Good On The Dancefloor.

1 hour ago, rivalschools.price said:

I’d say that roughly 75% of the crowd is from England and 15% from Wales in Reading and 15% from Scotland in Leeds.

The rest is from overseas.

Just as an aside we don't need to get in a debate over this but I'd say there are more than 15% Scots. Both days I attended this year I couldn't look anywhere without seeing a Scottish football strip, felt like a very strong contingent.