2023 Festival

TheWaters

46 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Aside, if you told me a few years ago that R&L would miss out on both MCR and Paramore reunions I would think you were talking shite. If it’s true Paramore aren’t playing, what the hell has happened? Changes in decision makers up top? Losing contacts that could get stuff like this in the bag 10 or so years ago? Or maybe unfounded doubts about MCR and Paramore’s ticket selling ability? Or even worse, these acts don’t see R&L as worth it anymore?

It took them years to get BMTH back (in an official slot), same with Foals if these recent rumours are to be believed. Two big names who have a long history with the festival. I'm beginning to wonder if the promoters are simply prioritising pop and rap acts over rock as that's what's huge right now, and they've clearly been filling a void left since V became no more.

Edited by VCK

35 minutes ago, GodlikeYeezus said:

If the confirmations are true - Paramore could easily be booked to play the secret set and headline the year after 

Yeah it’s a possibility. That’s if this tour extends to three years as they start playing dates in October this year. October 2022 to August 2024 is a long time on the road.

28 minutes ago, VCK said:

It took them years to get BMTH back (in an official slot), same with Foals if these recent rumours are to be believed. Two big names who have a long history with the festival. I'm beginning to wonder if the promoters are simply prioritising pop and rap acts over rock as that's what's huge right now, and they've clearly been filling a void left since V became no more.

Maybe they have some pretty hard data that acts like KSI, Post Malone, Polo G, Halsey, Stormzy, Megan Thee Stallion etc bring in way more ticket sales than the Punk/Emo/heritage acts from 10 or so years ago. Either way, I think the point I raised earlier is probably part to blame too, that they need to make sure they are capturing that GCSE leavers market above anything else.

11 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Maybe they have some pretty hard data that acts like KSI, Post Malone, Polo G, Halsey, Stormzy, Megan Thee Stallion etc bring in way more ticket sales than the Punk/Emo/heritage acts from 10 or so years ago. Either way, I think the point I raised earlier is probably part to blame too, that they need to make sure they are capturing that GCSE leavers market above anything else.

Now that I think about it, people have actually answered KSI in that ‘who do you want to headline survey’ haven’t they

23 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

And of course that's how the festival has always been, as it was 15 years ago when most of the line-up would be comprised of indie, emo and pop punk.

If metal somehow became hugely popular among teenagers you can bet R&L would start booking that kind of act en masse.

3 hours ago, VCK said:

I think people have started just going to the mid size festivals for indie now rather than r&l as much, v festification is whats going on really isn't it.

Nobody is gagging for older bands like Foals to come back vs new acts e.g. Sam Fender or the more cemented landfill indie classics like tdcc, wombats etc

Edited by gfa

27 minutes ago, andyrhodes24 said:

Anyone who went to MGK this week remember what time each set was and how long he played?

I’ll see if he says anything about R&L in Leeds on Thursday

Roughly:

19:00: 44phantom

19:45: iann Dior

20:45: MGK

It went on until just after 11! Though he said they’d gone 20 minutes over the allotted time so would have to pay 50k to Wembley lol.

Edited by WhoOdyssey

31 minutes ago, andyrhodes24 said:

Anyone who went to MGK this week remember what time each set was and how long he played?

I’ll see if he says anything about R&L in Leeds on Thursday

Didn’t see both the supports, second one - Ian dior I believe? Was on from 7:30 to 8:15ish.
MGK had a long set, around 30 songs. Came on at 8:45, and ran over curfew until around 11. 

Curfew was 10:30, so should’ve been 1hr45 set

Edited by Rotinajer

2 hours ago, gfa said:

I think people have started just going to the mid size festivals for indie now rather than r&l as much, v festification is whats going on really isn't it.

Nobody is gagging for older bands like Foals to come back vs new acts e.g. Sam Fender or the more cemented landfill indie classics like tdcc, wombats etc

To be fair I think Foals are still more in demand among your average R&L attendee than the likes of Two Door, The Wombats, The Vaccines, The Kooks, et al.

14 hours ago, Matt42 said:

Aside, if you told me a few years ago that R&L would miss out on both MCR and Paramore reunions I would think you were talking shite. If it’s true Paramore aren’t playing, what the hell has happened? Changes in decision makers up top? Losing contacts that could get stuff like this in the bag 10 or so years ago? Or maybe unfounded doubts about MCR and Paramore’s ticket selling ability? Or even worse, these acts don’t see R&L as worth it anymore?

We're all turning in to our parents. Paramore and MCR aren't it anymore. We're at a point in music where the 2026 lineup will be

KSI | Megan the Stallion | Glass Animals

MGK | Lewis Capaldi | Sam Smith 

And the kids will fucking love it. The kids are up 95% of the attendance. 

The charts aren't music that you hear on the radio and buy at your HMV, or what you see on 4music it isn't even Spotify play lists. Popular music is whatever fits over a 9 second tik tok clip. Band album sales and charts mean nothing because albums are given out at concerts for free and tallied up as sales.

We think acts like Don Broco and Yungblud are bigger than they are because they have album sales, but that's like being a dwarf amongst midgets.

Reading and Leeds book what's popular with the people buying tickets, and thats what the kids want. The theme songs to the latest Netflix Gossip Girl spin off, or Tik Tok clips.

Paramore, MCR, RATM etc - they aren't relevant to todays younger fans. We listen to them out of nostalgia, even Yungblud - the one single this whole forum was in agreement was a banger, The Funeral, as it had throwbacks to 80's glam-punk, The Cure etc. Flopped hard. Didn't even chart.

If you put a top MSE line-up of Rage Against the Machine | Kanye West | Foo Fighters we would all be in hysterics but the festival would have only sold Saturday day tickets to girls hoping to see a Kardashian in the crowd.

My 28 year old wives highlight of the weekend was seeing some lady that eats in a chicken shop on Youtube(?) in the tower.

1 hour ago, Chad888 said:

We're all turning in to our parents. Paramore and MCR aren't it anymore. We're at a point in music where the 2026 lineup will be

KSI | Megan the Stallion | Glass Animals

MGK | Lewis Capaldi | Sam Smith 

And the kids will fucking love it. The kids are up 95% of the attendance. 

The charts aren't music that you hear on the radio and buy at your HMV, or what you see on 4music it isn't even Spotify play lists. Popular music is whatever fits over a 9 second tik tok clip. Band album sales and charts mean nothing because albums are given out at concerts for free and tallied up as sales.

We think acts like Don Broco and Yungblud are bigger than they are because they have album sales, but that's like being a dwarf amongst midgets.

Reading and Leeds book what's popular with the people buying tickets, and thats what the kids want. The theme songs to the latest Netflix Gossip Girl spin off, or Tik Tok clips.

Don Broco are a big band. 

55 minutes ago, Chad888 said:

Paramore, MCR, RATM etc - they aren't relevant to todays younger fans. We listen to them out of nostalgia, even Yungblud - the one single this whole forum was in agreement was a banger, The Funeral, as it had throwbacks to 80's glam-punk, The Cure etc. Flopped hard. Didn't even chart.

If you put a top MSE line-up of Rage Against the Machine | Kanye West | Foo Fighters we would all be in hysterics but the festival would have only sold Saturday day tickets to girls hoping to see a Kardashian in the crowd.

My 28 year old wives highlight of the weekend was seeing some lady that eats in a chicken shop on Youtube(?) in the tower.

YUNGBLUD is a big artist. 

59 minutes ago, Chad888 said:

Singles don’t need to chart to be popular, and acts don’t need number one singles to be popular. Tik Tok has more influence as you say.

There was a grand total of five number UK one singles between the headliners this year (AM: 2, Dave: 2, Halsey: 1). 

30 minutes ago, Andre91 said:

Don Broco are a big band. 

Subjectively, they can be.

In every single metric, they absolutely are not.

Sure they can do a hand full of shows to 5-10,000. I got dragged to Ashanti a few months ago and there were 16,000 people in there. She isn't a big artist in any way.

22 minutes ago, andyrhodes24 said:

Singles don’t need to chart to be popular, and acts don’t need number one singles to be popular. Tik Tok has more influence as you say.

There was a grand total of five number UK one singles between the headliners this year (AM: 2, Dave: 2, Halsey: 1). 

The chart takes in to account literally every single metric that measures popularity.

Radio plays, Spotify, Tidal and sound cloud streams, YouTube plays, single purchases, iTunes.

The Funeral was not a popular song, it's no wonder though a forum dedicated to music, occupied by music purists enjoyed it because it was rich in themes from classic rock and punk. A genre that isn't popular with generic listeners.

45 minutes ago, Andre91 said:

YUNGBLUD is a big artist. 

I agree. He is a big artist, he's radio friendly and current. 

His own music that doesn't have big features on though is not that popular outside his fan groups. He doesn't carry over to generic fans in the same way Aitch doesn't go in the other direction.

31 minutes ago, Chad888 said:

Subjectively, they can be.

In every single metric, they absolutely are not.

Sure they can do a hand full of shows to 5-10,000. I got dragged to Ashanti a few months ago and there were 16,000 people in there. She isn't a big artist in any way.

They have and do play arenas. Tickets sales are, and always will be, the #1 measure of an artists size and selling abilities. That is objective fact. 

1 hour ago, Chad888 said:

The chart takes in to account literally every single metric that measures popularity.

Radio plays, Spotify, Tidal and sound cloud streams, YouTube plays, single purchases, iTunes.

The Funeral was not a popular song, it's no wonder though a forum dedicated to music, occupied by music purists enjoyed it because it was rich in themes from classic rock and punk. A genre that isn't popular with generic listeners.

I do agree that charts are a fair assessment of popularity but it doesn’t necessarily translate to live music. Loads of pop acts have had number ones but play academies or lower. Eg, Tom Grennan, loads of high charting tracks but only just playing arenas.

A more extreme example is Gayle, that abcdefu song is massive but she only played the 320 capacity Omeara in May.

Album sales and ticket sales are a better indication than singles charts when it comes to indie/alt/rock, hence YB’s two number one albums and arena tour but no charting singles. Don’t think there’s any one solid metric.

3 hours ago, Chad888 said:

‘The Funeral’ did chart, it got to #80. Not massively high, but higher than a lot of alt/rock acts get.

Still can’t really believe the KSI headliner thing (as an 18yo that is too)

swap him out for a different rap act such as lamar or travis Scott and it’s stacked tho (so  in no way realistic but we can dream)  

kendrick Lamar or travis scott / paramore or mgk

billie eilish / foals 

green day / Sam fender 

Edited by Will b