Glastonbury Raw Footage (shot by Kinokast) from mid90s-mid00s

gooner1990

15 minutes ago, Pipine said:

Not surprising! It was pretty epic, our first two years 97 and 98 were just so hardcore!  We nearly went home in 97… thankfully we stayed and fell in love with the festival mud or no mud 🙂

The first one I did in 2004 the weather couldn't make its mind up and was a bit hit and miss with mud/rain etc, 2005 was the epic thunderstorm and 2007 was truely awful from the Thursday night onwards...wasn't until 2008 when I finally got to go to one and bounce around in my trainers for most of it!

• Like 1

Particularly fascinating seeing the footage of festivals from the 90s. It's an era I have a great effinity for and also we were sort of on the cusp of pretty revolutionary technologies (smartphones, mobile phones). These changed social fabric and it's cool seeing people before that.

25 minutes ago, MrBarry465 said:

Particularly fascinating seeing the footage of festivals from the 90s. It's an era I have a great effinity for and also we were sort of on the cusp of pretty revolutionary technologies (smartphones, mobile phones). These changed social fabric and it's cool seeing people before that.

One of my friends came to Glastonbury 2017 who had been quite a few times during the 90s but only a couple of times since.

We were walking across the other stage field before The Courteeners with some beers and lots of people were sitting down as we wound our way through them to our group, he turned to me and said 'you see this is what i hate about modern festivals, everyone is sitting down either on their own or in their little groups all playing with their phones, the randomness of talking to people you didn't know or just getting involved is slowly dissapearing'

Sadly I think he's right. 😞

On 6/18/2021 at 1:02 PM, Pipine said:

Not surprising! It was pretty epic, our first two years 97 and 98 were just so hardcore!  We nearly went home in 97… thankfully we stayed and fell in love with the festival mud or no mud 🙂

On 6/18/2021 at 12:03 PM, gooner1990 said:

Few of my friends went for the first time that year (they were 16 and it was their first ever festival!) think they were totally underprepared for the mud and the rivers of brown water. 

One of them got scarred that badly by the whole experience he didn't do another festival for a couple of years!

Different era, but we have friends who went for the first time in 2016 and they had that bad of a time with the mud and rain they haven’t been back, and I don’t think they will do. To be fair, they are a right pair of stiff necks, so it’s probably not their scene anyway - they’re not really up for anything “alternative”. 

Just now, Pinhead said:

Watched the all now - still not spotted myself. Well, how things have changed huh....

Anything interesting to note from them? 

Mostly like someone else said its no one using mobile phones that is the biggest change I think apart from things like fashion and types of people attending!

Yeah, no phones in there or even in any of the later 'britpop' BBC footage I just watched just now either. Even the 2009 stuff had little sign of it - everyone dancing; everyone engaged; everyone there and not - elsewhere... Loads of peeps will have had phones there by 2009 so I'm thinking its cos many had non internet burner phones at the festival then, or that 3G was still patchy / expensive to use and spend time uploading pictures and so on then, or that social media sites though popular, were still not quite the crack they are now for many.

What have we done... What have we created....

For the 90's stuff - amazing just how all thrown together it all was then compared to the slick and somewhat more coreographed experience today. Stone Circle footage shows just how popular it was before SE Corner took over. We are spoiled now arn't we with the nightlife activities and shows, but at the sacrifice of the more primal and community feel maybe.

39 minutes ago, Pinhead said:

Yeah, no phones in there or even in any of the later 'britpop' BBC footage I just watched just now either. Even the 2009 stuff had little sign of it - everyone dancing; everyone engaged; everyone there and not - elsewhere... Loads of peeps will have had phones there by 2009 so I'm thinking its cos many had non internet burner phones at the festival then, or that 3G was still patchy / expensive to use and spend time uploading pictures and so on then, or that social media sites though popular, were still not quite the crack they are now for many.

What have we done... What have we created....

For the 90's stuff - amazing just how all thrown together it all was then compared to the slick and somewhat more coreographed experience today. Stone Circle footage shows just how popular it was before SE Corner took over. We are spoiled now arn't we with the nightlife activities and shows, but at the sacrifice of the more primal and community feel maybe.

2009 was the first time I took my normal phone to the festival with me which back then was a BlackBerry...that had two really good battery’s which was the main deal breaker to risk taking it I remember not using it much from the Saturday onwards as everyone else’s battery’s had gone. 

I suppose we are all part of the problem with phones and social media although I do try my hardest to stay off it whilst at the festival and enjoy it rather than using it constantly like i do at home, I fear nothing will change and in fact will only get worse!

Agree re Stone Circle etc my first few Glastonbury’s (2004-2007) were a bit more communal with campfires etc...after the SE Corner took off in 2008/9 no one ever sat at camp after the headliners anymore it was all off to Shangri La/Arcadia or whatever. 

A couple of things I have noticed over the years.

People smoke less now. Sat in the pyramid waiting for the next act to appear, these days it feels like very few people are lighting up, but in the 90s a lot more prevalent.

And there are fewer camp fires, and those wax candles on sticks. I remember the campsites were very smokey back in the 90s, and my eyes were constantly streaming from it.

With regard to phones, I had my iPhone there in '09 and the battery was flat by Friday morning. Charging packs are a lot more common now, and that is the big difference. I do think its a shame that people can go to such an amazing place and still have their faces stuck in their phone. I'm planning on taking a feature phone next time, rather than a smartphone.

I didn't take a smart phone until 2016. I'm on 3 and the signal is mostly crap so I can't use it much for social media stuff anyway.

I mainly use it as my camera but they are bloody handy for finding where people are, secret sets, messaging home etc. 

I'm certain the people you see on the old videos would have been exactly the same if the technology was available to them.

These videos have, after all, been filmed on a camcorder which I'm sure loads of people would have been frowning at back then. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/22/2021 at 2:07 PM, maelzoid said:

A couple of things I have noticed over the years.

People smoke less now. Sat in the pyramid waiting for the next act to appear, these days it feels like very few people are lighting up, but in the 90s a lot more prevalent.

And there are fewer camp fires, and those wax candles on sticks. I remember the campsites were very smokey back in the 90s, and my eyes were constantly streaming from it.

With regard to phones, I had my iPhone there in '09 and the battery was flat by Friday morning. Charging packs are a lot more common now, and that is the big difference. I do think its a shame that people can go to such an amazing place and still have their faces stuck in their phone. I'm planning on taking a feature phone next time, rather than a smartphone.

I’ve noticed exactly the same with smoking spliff...especially around the main stages even when I started going in 2004 it was fairly common but now I don’t really see it much anymore.

almost odd to see anyone with a campfire these days! 

43 minutes ago, gooner1990 said:

Didn’t the wax candles get banned? Or was that just the Chinese lanterns?

Not officially but it’s easy for them not to give the sellers permits I guess so effectively reducing them … I can’t imagine the fires help the cleanup operation .. and the attempts to go green … not so many /If any firewood sellers about these days either 

51 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

Not officially but it’s easy for them not to give the sellers permits I guess so effectively reducing them … I can’t imagine the fires help the cleanup operation .. and the attempts to go green … not so many /If any firewood sellers about these days either 

I’m trying to rack my brains as to when I last bought a wax candle...2008 I can recall buying one after Jay-Z when I was in the stone circle off my rocker and carried it all the way back to camp at 5am.

On 6/22/2021 at 4:20 PM, Gnomicide said:

I didn't take a smart phone until 2016. I'm on 3 and the signal is mostly crap so I can't use it much for social media stuff anyway.

I mainly use it as my camera but they are bloody handy for finding where people are, secret sets, messaging home etc. 

I'm certain the people you see on the old videos would have been exactly the same if the technology was available to them.

These videos have, after all, been filmed on a camcorder which I'm sure loads of people would have been frowning at back then. 

Yeah Glasto have essentially integrated the festival into the mob phone now by having apps that are portals to info about whats happening. Making 'secret sets' all about how often you check your phone / twitter etc doesn't  help - hardly secret anyway really anyway in that sense.

8 minutes ago, gooner1990 said:

I’m trying to rack my brains as to when I last bought a wax candle...2008 I can recall buying one after Jay-Z when I was in the stone circle off my rocker and carried it all the way back to camp at 5am.

Yep my last photo memory’s of them are during the verve set in 08 … I’m sure they have been offered in the 3 for £5 deal more recently but can see evidence … the fires disappeared with the arrival of more after hours stuff … the park and sec 

14 minutes ago, gooner1990 said:

They were definitely available in 2015 coz I remember buying a couple. There was also a stall selling bags of fire wood up against the railway track in the other stage field close to the Glade. 

13 minutes ago, Skelts said:

They were definitely available in 2015 coz I remember buying a couple. There was also a stall selling bags of fire wood up against the railway track in the other stage field close to the Glade. 

Last campfire we had was in 2014 after Kasabian - we were the only ones in our field to have one and some people next door started moaning that all their clothes were starting to smell of smoke.

how times have changed!