Glastonbury Raw Footage (shot by Kinokast) from mid90s-mid00s

gooner1990

Kinocast has within the last couple of weeks put his full film footage up on YouTube from Glastonbury 1993, 95, 98, 99, 02, 04 & 05

Some quite long videos on here...but also really give a flavour of what it was like (Great for those of us who were too young to go!)

• Like 4
  • Upvote 8

10 minutes ago, maelzoid said:

Excellent stuff. The 90s ones look almost like period pieces now...

For anyone who doubts how muddy '98 was, here is the proof. Nothing I have experienced since came close.

Amazing to think 1993 is now nearly 30 years ago. 😳

Friends of mine went in 1998...said it was the muddiest ever! 

34 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

My typo should have read 16 rather than 06.

2007 was the worst of the lot, and I've been to every bad one since 1997 apart from 2011. 2007 was hard.

2011 was ok by Saturday afternoon/evening and you could get away with trainers in the main parts on Sunday. 

2007 was awful...only time I've considered leaving early (still stuck it out tho!)

2 minutes ago, Pinhead said:

DCant remember 2011 much at all for some reason. Was that the year when you couldn't sit down for half of it cos of the mud, then suddenly you could for the rest?

Think the weather turned shite about a week or so beforehand then it Rained quite a lot on and off on weds-fri, dried out Saturday and was ok by Sunday is my recollection. 

4 hours ago, gooner1990 said:

Amazing to think 1993 is now nearly 30 years ago. 😳

Friends of mine went in 1998...said it was the muddiest ever! 

It occurred to me the other day that if Back To The Future was filmed now Marty would only be going back to 1991 which made me feel fucking old.

11 hours ago, SheffJeff said:

It occurred to me the other day that if Back To The Future was filmed now Marty would only be going back to 1991 which made me feel fucking old.

I still think of 'about 10 years ago' being the mid 90s. 😞 

14 hours ago, Pinhead said:

Cant remember 2011 much at all for some reason. Was that the year when you couldn't sit down for half of it cos of the mud, then suddenly you could for the rest?

Yep - By later on Saturday the mud had turned bouncy and fun to walk on - really weird, by Sunday it was lovely and dry.

10 minutes ago, hfuhruhurr said:

Yep - By later on Saturday the mud had turned bouncy and fun to walk on - really weird, by Sunday it was lovely and dry.

I can recall a few of my mates putting trainers on the Sunday morning (although I stuck with boots) and I recall carrying my boots in my hands to the car on the monday whilst wearing my  trainers and it felt odd to be wearing them for the first time in almost a week (I put my boots on to head down to the site in on the Tuesday night!)

Ah man, thanks so much for these. 93 was the first time I went, and so much of it came back in a proustian rush watching that video, the columns and noticeboard with messages on. Was the only way to get in touch with people, other than back up 'meet you at the cider bus at either 3, 6 or 9pm' plans. Also fascinating how handmade everything looks, shabby, with a lack of glamour and shine. Hand painted signs and stuff. All a lot more amateur

28 minutes ago, Mardy said:

Ah man, thanks so much for these. 93 was the first time I went, and so much of it came back in a proustian rush watching that video, the columns and noticeboard with messages on. Was the only way to get in touch with people, other than back up 'meet you at the cider bus at either 3, 6 or 9pm' plans. Also fascinating how handmade everything looks, shabby, with a lack of glamour and shine. Hand painted signs and stuff. All a lot more amateur

I watched a bit of the 1993 one yesterday, seems a lot more quieter/chilled out to what it is now, which i guess is possibly explainable with the site being half the size to what it is now and many more 'alternative' types....not many (if any at all) pretty young posers in the 1993 one!

Also noticed a lot of sitting down at the Pyramid (no camping chairs back then!) even towards the front.

Would have loved to have been old enough to have done one of the earlier Glastonburys....age is what it is though I guess!

16 hours ago, Pinhead said:

Cant remember 2011 much at all for some reason. Was that the year when you couldn't sit down for half of it cos of the mud, then suddenly you could for the rest?

16 hours ago, gooner1990 said:

Think the weather turned shite about a week or so beforehand then it Rained quite a lot on and off on weds-fri, dried out Saturday and was ok by Sunday is my recollection. 

Also describes 2005, with a bit of extra thunderstorm.

34 minutes ago, Pipine said:

Just had a look through 98 which was the 2nd year we went.. my god the lakes of water in the market area.. it was just ridiculous.  

Few of my friends went for the first time that year (they were 16 and it was their first ever festival!) think they were totally underprepared for the mud and the rivers of brown water. 

One of them got scarred that badly by the whole experience he didn't do another festival for a couple of years!

Edited by gooner1990
typo