Download 2023

6 minutes ago, King101 said:

The main riff in that song is probably heavier than anything Kiss have ever done but nobody every debates if they’re too pop to headline.

Okay, going to have to backtrack on this song. It appears after a second listen, the title and the actual song on it when I first listened were different. No riffs at all and just a very slow song. How I don't know but I guess it's been uploaded incorrectly, it does happen the odd time.

BMTH, The Offspring, Enter Shikari, Don Broco, Ghostemane, Creeper, Yonaka, Employed To Serve, Zippo: Behemoth Avalance: Underoath Dogtooth: Mr Bungle

Muse, Trivium, Limp Bizkit, Skindred, The Hu, Kvelertak, Puppy. Zippo: Sabaton Avalanche: Refused Dogtooth: Mayhem 

RATM, Run The Jewels, Frank Carter And The Rattlesnakes, Idles, Neck Deep, Anti-Flag, Blood Youth Zippo: BFMV Avalanche: Fever 333 Dogtooth: Health

6 hours ago, Alex Winstone said:

BMTH, The Offspring, Enter Shikari, Don Broco, Ghostemane, Creeper, Yonaka, Employed To Serve, Zippo: Behemoth Avalance: Underoath Dogtooth: Mr Bungle

Muse, Trivium, Limp Bizkit, Skindred, The Hu, Kvelertak, Puppy. Zippo: Sabaton Avalanche: Refused Dogtooth: Mayhem 

RATM, Run The Jewels, Frank Carter And The Rattlesnakes, Idles, Neck Deep, Anti-Flag, Blood Youth Zippo: BFMV Avalanche: Fever 333 Dogtooth: Health

Just my view but The Offspring are well out of place there, they also likely won't be around un 2023 given this November tour and likely a date next year. I can't think what they are going to next year though as coming back late summer for Reading makes no sense for them really.

Muse isn't the worst shit as I don't see many other festivals giving them that headline spot. 

4 minutes ago, thewayiam said:

Just my view but The Offspring are well out of place there, they also likely won't be around un 2023 given this November tour and likely a date next year. I can't think what they are going to next year though as coming back late summer for Reading makes no sense for them really.

Muse isn't the worst shit as I don't see many other festivals giving them that headline spot. 

Or they are just playing Download and they are waiting for their tour to finish before being announced so it doesn’t affect their tix sales. The Offspring’s time at R&L is well and truly over, I’m surprised you’re even saw that as a possibility.

I find this stuff with Muse headlining IOW strange, people are trying to make out Muse wouldn’t still be headlining R&L, BST, Glasto and playing stadiums just because they can’t accept IOW have gotten a big headliner again. It wasn’t that long ago IOW were getting Fleetwood Mac, Blur, The Killers, The Who etc.

10 hours ago, jump said:

Or they are just playing Download and they are waiting for their tour to finish before being announced so it doesn’t affect their tix sales. The Offspring’s time at R&L is well and truly over, I’m surprised you’re even saw that as a possibility.

I find this stuff with Muse headlining IOW strange, people are trying to make out Muse wouldn’t still be headlining R&L, BST, Glasto and playing stadiums just because they can’t accept IOW have gotten a big headliner again. It wasn’t that long ago IOW were getting Fleetwood Mac, Blur, The Killers, The Who etc.

Agree about IOW. I said in another thread (might’ve been this one tbf) that I was worried their pull for big names was diminishing but evidently not, it was probably just a case of who was and wasn’t available at the time so had to settle for new and upcoming headline acts. Muse are massive ticker shifter + still really popular with people my age in their early 20s so I don’t see why they wouldn’t do R&L again.

1 hour ago, FeverDream said:

Agree about IOW. I said in another thread (might’ve been this one tbf) that I was worried their pull for big names was diminishing but evidently not, it was probably just a case of who was and wasn’t available at the time so had to settle for new and upcoming headline acts. Muse are massive ticker shifter + still really popular with people my age in their early 20s so I don’t see why they wouldn’t do R&L again.

There was an interesting topic of discussion in the Glasto section (before IOW was announced) that maybe the stadium acts are gonna have to play the middling festivals every now and them due to there being only so big many festivals for them to play and it's not uncommon for the likes of Foo Fighters or Metallica to play 50k festivals in other countries.

In any case the idea that Muse won't be offered headline slots anymore like they are now Ash or Primal Scream who have headlined Glasto back in the day is silly.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, FeverDream said:

Muse aren't the shifter they were. I wouldn't be so sure they'll do a stadium tour again, of multiple dates at least. A one off at London or something but you wouldn't be scraping for tickets like 10 years ago.

7 minutes ago, thewayiam said:

Muse aren't the shifter they were. I wouldn't be so sure they'll do a stadium tour again, of multiple dates at least. A one off at London or something but you wouldn't be scraping for tickets like 10 years ago.

They sold out their last UK stadium tour which was only a couple of years ago. 

I'm actually annoyed I missed them on their last tour as they had Tom Morello supporting but their London show was the same day as both Champions League and Camden Rocks.

11 minutes ago, jump said:

They sold out their last UK stadium tour which was only a couple of years ago. 

I'm actually annoyed I missed them on their last tour as they had Tom Morello supporting but their London show was the same day as both Champions League and Camden Rocks.

They even came back to do arenas after their stadium run. London stadium + 2 02 dates in the same summer isn't nothing

• 2 weeks later...

I think the Muse IOW appearance is more just down to something to tick off the list. Traditionally it was a hugely important festival and it's one of the few they haven't done so why not?

Won't be a popular comment in this thread but at the time when they were announced to play Download there was talk they were on the way down in popularity due to the booking yet the year after they headlined Glastonbury again.

They are still one of the biggest draws in the UK and worldwide, there is no festival they are not headlining if they want to headline it.

18 minutes ago, gabrielomachado said:

realistic wishlist

METALLICA / Trivium / Gojira

2nd: Sabaton

__

RAGE AGAINST THE MACHINE / Architects / Run The Jewels

2nd: Halestorm

__

AVENGED SEVENFOLD / Ghost / Disturbed

2nd: Slash

Excellent lineup (except Ghost should be headlining the next time they play). I’d buy a ticket in a heartbeat. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Andre91 said:

Excellent lineup (except Ghost should be headlining the next time they play). I’d buy a ticket in a heartbeat. 

The fact they should is exactly why they probably won't, this is Download Festival remember 😛

In terms of big names I don't think they could get a better three than Metallica / RATM / A7X as much as they need a new name in there.

• 2 months later...

Little shout of:

SOAD, RATM, Slipknot/GNR

SOAD, Slipknot and GNR is probably the best trio they could book for me. I'll be lucky if a festival ever put on a trio that could beat it, if it matched it. There has been some decent trio's in the past mind. Had a festival I went to in 2013 got The Stones in would have been the best 4 bands to ever headline a festival.

Edited by thewayiam

14 hours ago, thewayiam said:

Little shout of:

SOAD, RATM, Slipknot/GNR

SOAD, Slipknot and GNR is probably the best trio they could book for me. I'll be lucky if a festival ever put on a trio that could beat it, if it matched it. There has been some decent trio's in the past mind. Had a festival I went to in 2013 got The Stones in would have been the best 4 bands to ever headline a festival.

SOAD and RATM would probably sell me on Download '23. I would guess that Aerosmith is more likely to fill the fossil slot but could see GNR again. 

1 hour ago, BenG92 said:

SOAD and RATM would probably sell me on Download '23. I would guess that Aerosmith is more likely to fill the fossil slot but could see GNR again. 

All depends to whether Slipknot ever announce this UK Knotfest as I'd be a little surprised if they do Knotfest in August and Download the following June. Knotfest won't instantly sell and it would seem like Download are better holding off until next time. They did similar in I believe 2013 or 15 where many believe they'd have been better waiting?, it had only been two years.

Like now, 2019. It would only be two actual Download years again between it. I can't deny I'd rather Slipknot just because there seems to be a thing for me that if you are going to see them then do it at Download.

Yeah I mean GNR would only be 3 years but then that didn't stop the Aerosmith bookings.

Will be interesting to see how BMTH’s R&L headline slot pans out and whether or not Copping thinks they’re Download worthy. If they are, I don’t think we’ll see them until at least 2024. Something tells me the 2023 are probably already finalised and I don’t think he’d book them this prematurely with the only thing to go off (festival wise) being APE.

11 minutes ago, FeverDream said:

Will be interesting to see how BMTH’s R&L headline slot pans out and whether or not Copping thinks they’re Download worthy. If they are, I don’t think we’ll see them until at least 2024. Something tells me the 2023 are probably already finalised and I don’t think he’d book them this prematurely with the only thing to go off (festival wise) being APE.

There’s the 65,000 ticket, sold out UK arena run to go off of. I’m quietly confident that Download will have BMTH headlining in 2023. It’s a no-brainier, especially after they smash R&L and the prospect of new music on the horizon (hehehe). 

• Upvote 1

I find it bonkers people talk about how bands need to prove how big they are to headline Download whilst Reading repeatedly book riskier/upcoming acts and mostly pull it off.  Download have maybe 3 legit stadium acts that can headline whilst the rest are often not big enough to play the o2 on a tour and/or sub at other fests.

Why the fuck isn't anyone going we need to see how well Def Leppards tour goes before we can have them back yet again? lol

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, jump said:

I find it bonkers people talk about how bands need to prove how big they are to headline Download whilst Reading repeatedly book riskier/upcoming acts and mostly pull it off.  Download have maybe 3 legit stadium acts that can headline whilst the rest are often not big enough to play the o2 on a tour and/or sub at other fests.

Why the fuck isn't anyone going we need to see how well Def Leppards tour goes before we can have them back yet again? lol

Reading and Leeds and are right of passage for younger people, many of whom with no real connection to the rock scene. Download is for the dedicated rock and metal fans. I'm not defending Download's booking strategy just saying it's much easier for R+L to sell tickets.

• Upvote 1