Download 2023

6 minutes ago, Sparticus said:

I think that time has come and gone. Download generally books massive acts to headline and queens are always one step below that. They were booked to play under Metallica and Muse in Europe last year before they cancelled the tour and didn't look out of place. 

Queens supporting either would be epic, although not quite sure how I feel about Josh with everything that's happened with him.

6 minutes ago, metallimuse said:

Queens supporting either would be epic, although not quite sure how I feel about Josh with everything that's happened with him.

As it stands, nobody except him and Brode know what's actually happened between them. Lots of he-said-she-said with accusations against one other and kids unfortunately dragged into everything.

One of those cases where I'm quite happy to separate art and artist.

2 hours ago, metallimuse said:

Fair points but my perception would also ask you the same question, "are you really the type of person Copping gives a shit about?"

If you're going every year does he really want to do something special for the hardcore who are going anyway or does he want to make a booking that will entice fair-weather fans across and swell his numbers even further?

I may be wrong but I don't think Download has a particularly strong history of selling out tickets for the past decade does it?

Whether you like it or not personally, objectively, booking a double slot by Metallica will be a huge pull for a huge contingent that haven't been in a while such as myself.

What do I want from the festival?

Well despite my interest in coming back from 2 sets by a heritage act I would like to see the festival move forward and promote new headliners at the very least. Personally I think they should expand it's scope a bit and book rock acts of all creeds to play as it would prevent the same old bookings being repeated but I can understand the argument to keep it a metal fest so if you disagree with that then fine but the fact the Bring Me The Horizon still have not headlined is outrageous considering their size and tours. I look at the line up each year and am consistently disappointed by how little the festival has moved on. 

I agree that all rock acts across the spectrum should be booked. especially now reading festival has become a teenage pop festival, download can afford a day of acts in the softer rock realm. Even punk seems massively under represented at download. Having been someone who has been 8/9 times though, I'm the exact type of person that has now seen every headline act on the roster. I need something different. A punk day on the second stage or a band like pearl jam / FF / RHCP /Liam gallagher type act on the bill. the 4 day event seems like a good opportunity to go outside the box with that type of booking rather than double metallica. i can't stand BMTH, so if it's metallica x2 and a band that still only resonates with a small portion of the rock crowd then the other headliner better be strong. But i've seen slipknot twice at download already. Maybe make an old school nu metal day with slipknot limp bizkit, kid rock, stained, drowning pool etc then im down. 

16 minutes ago, BenG92 said:

As it stands, nobody except him and Brode know what's actually happened between them. Lots of he-said-she-said with accusations against one other and kids unfortunately dragged into everything.

One of those cases where I'm quite happy to separate art and artist.

He's got quite a bit of baggage though doesn't he, like kicking the photographer during an American radio show appearance a few years back. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Jrose said:

I agree that all rock acts across the spectrum should be booked. especially now reading festival has become a teenage pop festival, download can afford a day of acts in the softer rock realm. Even punk seems massively under represented at download. Having been someone who has been 8/9 times though, I'm the exact type of person that has now seen every headline act on the roster. I need something different. A punk day on the second stage or a band like pearl jam / FF / RHCP /Liam gallagher type act on the bill. the 4 day event seems like a good opportunity to go outside the box with that type of booking rather than double metallica. i can't stand BMTH, so if it's metallica x2 and a band that still only resonates with a small portion of the rock crowd then the other headliner better be strong. But i've seen slipknot twice at download already. Maybe make an old school nu metal day with slipknot limp bizkit, kid rock, stained, drowning pool etc then im down. 

Offt Liam Gallagher headlining Download?!?!? That's a bit leftfield even for me 😜🤣🤣

1 minute ago, metallimuse said:

He's got quite a bit of baggage though doesn't he, like kicking the photographer during an American radio show appearance a few years back. 

For sure it was a real dick move, but you can probably find stories like that attached to half the big rock/metal acts Download book. God only knows what some of them have gotten up to on tour. It kinda is what it is, I'm sure if Pantera play that crowd isn't going to be full of people who love some of the shit Phil's said in the past, but just want to hear songs they love. 

7 minutes ago, Jrose said:

Liam gallagher type act on the bill

Let's not get ahead of ourselves here, neither Download nor LG want LG to play at Download.

9 minutes ago, BenG92 said:

For sure it was a real dick move, but you can probably find stories like that attached to half the big rock/metal acts Download book. God only knows what some of them have gotten up to on tour. It kinda is what it is, I'm sure if Pantera play that crowd isn't going to be full of people who love some of the shit Phil's said in the past, but just want to hear songs they love. 

Let's not get ahead of ourselves here, neither Download nor LG want LG to play at Download.

True that true that.

I would go see QOTSA but I defo will not be stood in the crowd watching Pantera. That's a step too far for me.

Not judging Pantera's booking if it happens nor anyone who wants to go see them, it's all personal choice.

Edited by metallimuse

I thought QOTSA were very disappointing the last time they played DL. Having them on the bill certainly wouldn’t excite me.

Also, is it it really the headliners that determine whether people get a ticket or not?? I can understand for a day tkt, but surely the whole weekend is about more than the headliners?

Some of the best acts seen/moments I’ve had at DL have not been with the headliners.

New prediction...

Thurs:

Main - Metallica / Alice In Chains / Lamb Of God / Anthrax 

Second (no headliner clash) - NOFX / The Distillers

Fri:

Main - BMTH / Architects

Second (headliner clash) - Ghost / Devin Townsend

Sat:

Main - Metallica / Alter Bridge / Halestorm 

Second (no headliner clash) - Rob Zombie 

Sun:

Main - Slipknot/ Parkway Drive / Cypress Hill / Jinjer

Second (no headliner clash) - Amon Amarth

Before anyone says Ghost won't headliner second, there was a rumour on Reddit they would so I've just gone with that. 

Edited by Spiral_Low

1 hour ago, Spiral_Low said:

New prediction...

Thurs:

Fri:

Main - BMTH / Architects

Sat:

Sun:

Before anyone says Ghost won't headliner second, there was a rumour on Reddit they would so I've just gone with that. 

This looks realistic tbf. As much as I don't want it to happen as they're a main stage band all day, Ghost would make perfect sense as an alternative should Bring Me be headlining the main.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Spiral_Low said:

New prediction...

Thurs:

Fri:

Main - BMTH / Architects

Sat:

Sun:

Devin then Ghost on second is a great evening! 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Galactus said:

This looks realistic tbf. As much as I don't want it to happen as they're a main stage band all day, Ghost would make perfect sense as an alternative should Bring Me be headlining the main.

Aye, I only glanced through Reddit to see if any updates but the rumour was they would be up against BMTH to placate people mad about them headlining. Was a draft Kerrang memo or summin like that which also had Rob Zombie featured. 

20 minutes ago, scrubbertheman said:

Devin then Ghost on second is a great evening! 

Yeah I would actually really enjoy that and would be a great alternative to the rumoured main stage two of BMTH and Architects..

18 minutes ago, gabrielomachado said:

it would be a miracle if the 2023 headliners weren't Metallica 2x, BMTH and Slipknot

i'm thinking of Ghost, My Chemical Romance, Rage Against The Machine and Avenged Sevenfold for 2024

Gotta think SOAD might be there though. Rammstein too if they decide to do a festival tour after their stadium tour. 

15 minutes ago, Spiral_Low said:

Gotta think SOAD might be there though. Rammstein too if they decide to do a festival tour after their stadium tour. 

forgot about SOAD, they are scheduled to play Nova Rock in 2024 so maybe they are re-doing the cancelled 2020-2021 festivals

Ghost, SOAD, MCR and A7X it is

don't see Rammstein ever doing festivals again, they are doing so much money on their stadium tours

Not convinced they'll stick to 4 days, I think it's a one-off for the 20th and because they could only get Metallica doing double duty. By the looks of things the ticket price is very much going to account for that and it's gonna start pricing people out, which, when you DON'T have Metallica on the bill, is not good for raw numbers. 

1 hour ago, gabrielomachado said:

forgot about SOAD, they are scheduled to play Nova Rock in 2024 so maybe they are re-doing the cancelled 2020-2021 festivals

Ghost, SOAD, MCR and A7X it is

don't see Rammstein ever doing festivals again, they are doing so much money on their stadium tours

I dunno about Rammstein tbh. They like to try and keep stuff fresh (in their style) so might do them to avoid getting stale.

45 minutes ago, BenG92 said:

Not convinced they'll stick to 4 days, I think it's a one-off for the 20th and because they could only get Metallica doing double duty. By the looks of things the ticket price is very much going to account for that and it's gonna start pricing people out, which, when you DON'T have Metallica on the bill, is not good for raw numbers. 

I reckon it will depend on how much extra cash they make from food, beer and merch. 

7 minutes ago, Spiral_Low said:

I reckon it will depend on how much extra cash they make from food, beer and merch. 

Could well be, yeah. I think it might be hard to figure out given it's a Metallica year and the draw they have, second only to AC/DC in terms of headliners on another level of popularity.