Memory Fuckage

CaledonianGonzo

1 hour ago, Watergirl said:

Different kind of memory fuckage.  For years I was convinced that I had seen the reformed Velvet Underground on the Pyramid Stage and that they weren't very good.  Until a while back I went through old programmes and line-ups and realized the VU played in 1993 - a year I didn't go! My first Glastonbury was in 1994.

Don't think there is much footage of it either. And yet I seem to have quite a vivid image.  My only explanation is that an ex-boyfriend who went that year must have given me a very detailed description of it, and over time my memory decided that I had seen them..... 

Top shelf 'Memory Fuckage'. 

3 hours ago, gooner1990 said:

The first few years I went (2004-2007) people still generally after the headliners either, went to the stone circle to sit and have a smoke/trip out, dance at Joe Bananas or a Wine bar until it shut or sit at their campsite staring into a fire and gurning. 

Then in 2008 the S.E Corner started to take off and the Glastonbury we know as today was born. (I know Lost Vaguness was there before etc but it never really attracted the crowds that Shangri-La/Block 9 does) 

I've seen the Babylon videos from the mid 90s on YouTube....looks right up my street. 🙂

I've been to Lost Vaguness but never been to Shangri-La. That sounds, very slightly, like an old song which I shall post here if I can recall it. I did try to go to Shangri-La one year, but the crowds to get in through the route we took ended up being so frightening that we bailed out. I seem to recall a person falling over and worrying for them as I had feared that they'd get trampled to death. There were no gaps between people moving at the same rhythm. So that person was very lucky.

I think that was also the year a mate 'claimed' (he has been known to bullshit) that he fell down an embankment and landed on somebody who was already down there. Obviously they'd fallen down earlier and went for a pissed up / drugged up snooze. If indeed it did happen. However, it's not exactly beyond the realms of possibility at Glastonbury. 

1 minute ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

I've been to Lost Vaguness but never been to Shangri-La. That sounds, very slightly, like an old song which I shall post here if I can recall it. I did try to go to Shangri-La one year, but the crowds to get in through the route we took ended up being so frightening that we bailed out. I seem to recall a person falling over and worrying for them as I had feared that they'd get trampled to death. There were no gaps between people moving at the same rhythm. So that person was very lucky.

I think that was also the year a mate 'claimed' (he has been known to bullshit) that he fell down an embankment and landed on somebody who was already down there. Obviously they'd fallen down earlier and went for a pissed up / drugged up snooze. If indeed it did happen. However, it's not exactly beyond the realms of possibility at Glastonbury. 

In 2015 me and a mate of mine got into Shangri-La about 2am I think and it was far, far too much for me, a band/dance act had just finished on that Hell stage and the amount of people pouring out, others trying to get in for the next act and general carnage meant I had a meltdown (luckily restricted to inside my head) and I came out of my happy mdma infused state and just wanted to go home.   Wound up having a pint somewhere and then just going to bed. 

You not been for a while now have you?  Any chance of one last go at it or are you done now?

2 minutes ago, gooner1990 said:

In 2015 me and a mate of mine got into Shangri-La about 2am I think and it was far, far too much for me, a band/dance act had just finished on that Hell stage and the amount of people pouring out, others trying to get in for the next act and general carnage meant I had a meltdown (luckily restricted to inside my head) and I came out of my happy mdma infused state and just wanted to go home.   Wound up having a pint somewhere and then just going to bed. 

You not been for a while now have you?  Any chance of one last go at it or are you done now?

I think 2013 was the last time that I went. 

There certainly is a part of me would like to go for one last fandango there. It is, for one moment in time, simply the best place to be on the planet. However, I'm much more into smaller festivals now. This is probably because I can cover the ground of smaller festivals, whereas Glastonbury is too big for me now - I am desperately unfit.

However, apart from the recent cheese contest to get tickets, I will try in other competitions closer to the time. This means (in my mind's eye) that if I were to win, then it was meant to be that I go.

I'd love to go to the efests meet up every year that the festival takes place though. There's some really nice people on here, and it's good to put a face to an avatar name (is that the right way to describe it, I wonder?).

4 minutes ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

I think 2013 was the last time that I went. 

There certainly is a part of me would like to go for one last fandango there. It is, for one moment in time, simply the best place to be on the planet. However, I'm much more into smaller festivals now. This is probably because I can cover the ground of smaller festivals, whereas Glastonbury is too big for me now - I am desperately unfit.

However, apart from the recent cheese contest to get tickets, I will try in other competitions closer to the time. This means (in my mind's eye) that if I were to win, then it was meant to be that I go.

I'd love to go to the efests meet up every year that the festival takes place though. There's some really nice people on here, and it's good to put a face to an avatar name (is that the right way to describe it, I wonder?).

I've not missed one since I started going in 2004 and was just about at the point of saying 'maybe I'll take a few years off' when the pandemic struck so perhaps the 3 year gap will re-engerise my enthusiasm.  

I too have started to enjoy smaller festivals recently and have a ticket for Beautiful Days in Devon for the first time this year. 

Glastonbury is incredibly hard work the older I get and I'm only 39!

Talking of long gone bars does anyone remember a place between Pyramid and Other, possibly opposite where Cornish Arms is now, that was like a big Western saloon bar from the outside....poss looked a bit Alamo/OK Corral, with swinging saloon doors at the entrance?

Prob there 2002-3 ish?

Or did I dream it?

Edited by parsonjack

5 minutes ago, gooner1990 said:

I've not missed one since I started going in 2004 and was just about at the point of saying 'maybe I'll take a few years off' when the pandemic struck so perhaps the 3 year gap will re-engerise my enthusiasm.  

I too have started to enjoy smaller festivals recently and have a ticket for Beautiful Days in Devon for the first time this year. 

Glastonbury is incredibly hard work the older I get and I'm only 39!

You haven't hit 40 yet. You should be running around the place!

I went in 2011 having only a few weeks before had half my colon removed. That was the only year that I couldn't (or didn't) cane it. I was simply too weak to do so. The days, evenings, and early night time was OK (probably by me self administering much needed 'medication'). However, I never got past the 1am mark throughout the festival. However, that did mean that I was up and back on it between 8am and 9am. So, I guess a full days work was achieved!

Me and my wife are trading at the Landed Festival in Wales this year. It's a smashing little festival, held on a beautiful site. I must say that I'm really looking forward to it, big time.

I don't know much about Beautiful Days, other than to have heard only good about it. I shall look it up.

Not sure if it's on this year but the Shambala Festival is within easy striking distance of Abingdon. OK, it's not that small a festival, has no major acts, but it's a belter. 

5 hours ago, gooner1990 said:

For those that went pre super fence (before 2002) were there any hidden treasures like talked about above to discover?

Yep, but can't remember 😄

Actually they were mainly to be found in SE corner - where LV was obviously, but even b4 that there were 'things' going on it that field (called 'Roy's Field or 'Weird Beard' then), and as far as Dragons / Williams (usually now Crew Camping). Also in the Green Futures area in mid-90's there were crew parties that didnt care if you just wondered in and joined them. Plus Stone Circle was heaving with jugglers, drummers, dancers and performers all night as there was no official night time area then particularly. Often used to end my night at 5am as the sun came up outside the Milk Bar and their soundsystem.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

You haven't hit 40 yet. You should be running around the place!

I went in 2011 having only a few weeks before had half my colon removed. That was the only year that I couldn't (or didn't) cane it. I was simply too weak to do so. The days, evenings, and early night time was OK (probably by me self administering much needed 'medication'). However, I never got past the 1am mark throughout the festival. However, that did mean that I was up and back on it between 8am and 9am. So, I guess a full days work was achieved!

Me and my wife are trading at the Landed Festival in Wales this year. It's a smashing little festival, held on a beautiful site. I must say that I'm really looking forward to it, big time.

I don't know much about Beautiful Days, other than to have heard only good about it. I shall look it up.

Not sure if it's on this year but the Shambala Festival is within easy striking distance of Abingdon. OK, it's not that small a festival, has no major acts, but it's a belter. 

How are you still alive? 🤣

what are you trading at Landed festival? 

never been to Shambala and it’s not on this year either! 

Similar to Watergirls type of memory fuckage

For the last few years I've been convinced I went to see Melanie play on the Spirit of 71 stage whilst MS DVB went to watch Beyoncé on the Pyramid in 2011. I remember it rained a bit for Melanie and afterwards I met MS DVB near the tree in the Pyramid field wearing a rain coat so in my mind it all made sense. Except going through old lineup posters earlier this year, it turns out Melanie played on Friday evening, and Beyoncé was on Sunday. So now I have no idea of where Saturday went and how we both remembered it so wrong. 

Edited by DarrenVonBoathook
  • Like 1

How are you still alive? 🤣

I must confess that I do wonder about that from time to time myself. I really don't want to die too early, but seem to be doing my best to bring it about. There's rarely a day goes by when I'm not on something of a class A nature. A guess I'm a functioning junkie. Now the problem that I have is that I want to remain that person, but don't want to die and leave my wife all on her own. However, I don't want to 'conform' either just to get a few more years on this planet. To quote Neil Young - It's better to burn out, than to fade away.

what are you trading at Landed festival? 

Mostly craft items, but possibly bits of art too. Every single piece will have been made by my own fair hand. I don't suppose we'll get much custom because the festival is so small, and a lot of the clientele aren't exactly in the Super Tax bracket. However, because the owners like us, they allow us free entry to trade. That saves us just under £200 on admission tickets. I'll now try to post some of the craft like items. These will be my alternative coat hook rails, but they'll be a wider variety than that.

IMG_0183.JPG

IMG_0189.JPG

IMG_0192.JPG

9 hours ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

I must confess that I do wonder about that from time to time myself. I really don't want to die too early, but seem to be doing my best to bring it about. There's rarely a day goes by when I'm not on something of a class A nature. A guess I'm a functioning junkie. Now the problem that I have is that I want to remain that person, but don't want to die and leave my wife all on her own. However, I don't want to 'conform' either just to get a few more years on this planet. To quote Neil Young - It's better to burn out, than to fade away.

Mostly craft items, but possibly bits of art too. Every single piece will have been made by my own fair hand. I don't suppose we'll get much custom because the festival is so small, and a lot of the clientele aren't exactly in the Super Tax bracket. However, because the owners like us, they allow us free entry to trade. That saves us just under £200 on admission tickets. I'll now try to post some of the craft like items. These will be my alternative coat hook rails, but they'll be a wider variety than that.

I smoked a lot of weed until my early 20s then a lot of class-a abuse throughout my 20s and into my mid-30s...have slowed it right down though and its only perhaps once a month these days. No idea how other people function normally getting that messy all the time!  I prefer to have a good time just occassionally these days which makes me appreciate it a bit more when I do!

47 minutes ago, gooner1990 said:

I smoked a lot of weed until my early 20s then a lot of class-a abuse throughout my 20s and into my mid-30s...have slowed it right down though and its only perhaps once a month these days. No idea how other people function normally getting that messy all the time!  I prefer to have a good time just occassionally these days which makes me appreciate it a bit more when I do!

Your approach is the wisest one. I haven't got the sense I was born with! 

On 4/21/2021 at 12:56 PM, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

I do recall what we called the Rizla Tent (there were giant Rizla flags outside of it) playing music into the wee hours. However, my memory is so crap now that I can't recall if that was pre 2002 or not. Can anybody clarify?

Rizla tent was last there in 99 if my memory serves me right, it was decent venue back then, a bit more polished and flashy than most of what was on offer and we spent a couple of evenings there chatting and smoking with randoms.

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Actually, that Elephant Bar photo, triggers the unfucked memory* that - whilst you may associate recent Glastonburys with Tuborg - most bars were actually punting the relaunched Carlsberg Danish Pilsner.

*I think.

I'm almost certain you're right on this.

(Having been working on a bar I really should be more than almost)