news & politics:discussion

zahidf

11 minutes ago, zahidf said:

Aren’t people getting a bit carried away by the Labour dissent story? Starmer is not going to be brought down by it, whatever he does. There’s no way he’s in real trouble short of losing his poll lead, and this issue is not a big one for voters.

I think it’s one of those issues big on twitter, but less so to your average voter who will be focusing on the economy, housing, education and the NHS. I’m sure his stance will cost some votes, probably calling for a ceasefire would cost some votes. That’s the reality of running for power.

32 minutes ago, zahidf said:

Aren’t people getting a bit carried away by the Labour dissent story? Starmer is not going to be brought down by it, whatever he does. There’s no way he’s in real trouble short of losing his poll lead, and this issue is not a big one for voters.

Totally agree. It all detracts from the government stance or lack of it.

51 minutes ago, zahidf said:

Pretty much, it's the same old story of anything being flung at the Labour leader. He's not really under any real pressure at all.

55 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

I think it’s one of those issues big on twitter, but less so to your average voter who will be focusing on the economy, housing, education and the NHS. I’m sure his stance will cost some votes, probably calling for a ceasefire would cost some votes. That’s the reality of running for power.

I don't know, they have a reputation for infighting which this could expose again. I don't think it's nothing.

Those people complaining about Starmers views are the same people who haven’t stopped complaining since Corbyn got the boot. They don’t like Starmer no matter what he does or doesn’t do. 

They’re a very vocal minority who will complain no matter who is in charge. 

2 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

Ministers and MPs are publicly supporting a ceasefire which is not party policy, and starmer not doing anything about it. That is a weakened position from before.

Not really, he's allowing them to have their view but if they step over the line 'river to the sea' then he takes action. He's also not caved into the pressure and changed the party's stance either. Seems pretty secure to me.

3 minutes ago, lazyred said:

Seems like Isreal are pulling their punches in Gaza in response to US pressure and because fighting Hamas in the tunnels is very difficult. Its still a catastrophe for the civilians.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2023/oct/30/israel-idf-strategy-gaza-benjamin-netanyahu-us

What I want to know is if they do manage to eliminate Hamas, then what?