news & politics:discussion

zahidf

5 hours ago, sirjonnyp said:

That MP actually quit four weeks ago, but is so unknown that no one really cared. He put it in his article yesterday like it was breaking news and a few journos ran with it, without checking.

So an MP quitting on Starmer should be taken seriously but Sall mps saying corbyn is shit is a conspiracy, and not corbyn being shit. 

It's not been all bad for labour. Getting hit hard in areas where they did badly in 2019...but elsewhere it's not total disaster. If they hadn't held Hartlepool on same day there wouldn't have been so much of a hooha.

But, at same time if labour is going to stand any chance in next election it needs to be doing better in those old red wall areas, and there's no sign of that yet.

9 hours ago, steviewevie said:

yes, he could...but in long run how does that play with Scottish public....?

Outraged Scots sending Nationalists to Westminster helps keep the Tories in power. If he allows a referendum and wins the SNP will decline helping Labour, lose and he goes down as the PM who lost the Union, not quite the Churchillian place in the history books he had his eye on. There is no reward for Johnson allowing a referendum. Note that's not me saying that there shouldn't be one just that it isn't in Johnson's interests.

1 minute ago, mcshed said:

Outraged Scots sending Nationalists to Westminster helps keep the Tories in power. If he allows a referendum and wins the SNP will decline helping Labour, lose and he goes down as the PM who lost the Union, not quite the Churchillian place in the history books he had his eye on. There is no reward for Johnson allowing a referendum. Note that's not me saying that there shouldn't be one just that it isn't in Johnson's interests.

yes. And without that overall SNP majority saying no is a lot easier. 

Just now, steviewevie said:

yes. And without that overall SNP majority saying no is a lot easier. 

And before someone says the Holyrood system is rigged against majorites, it isn't especially it's just proportional, if the SNP had a clear majority of support, of the likes most nations require for constitutional change then they'd have a majority no problem.

30 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

That’s very interesting, goes to show there has been some gains made by opposition parties which would all but 1 wipe out the Tory majority. We are nearly back in hung Parliament territory. 

1 hour ago, steviewevie said:

yeah...maybe....plus vaccine bounce and a promise of better times after brexit. Might be a very different place by next gen election.

I'd say there's probably nothing more to come from thr vaccine Bounce without something happening elsewhere tk highlight what a good place we're in. And better times after Brexit first needs somone to identify a benefit of Brexit. What we'll probably get is a reduction in worker protections. 

25 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Getting the fear about the London Mayoral election now. Should be announced tonight, right?

It’s extremely tight at the mo and I don’t think it’s certain sadiq will win in the second round

3 hours ago, steviewevie said:

It's not been all bad for labour. Getting hit hard in areas where they did badly in 2019...but elsewhere it's not total disaster. If they hadn't held Hartlepool on same day there wouldn't have been so much of a hooha.

But, at same time if labour is going to stand any chance in next election it needs to be doing better in those old red wall areas, and there's no sign of that yet.

Just saw someone from Hartlepool blaming Corbyn for labours poor showing... Starmer can still cut thru when politics becomes more normal post pandemic.

4 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

Remember that's the same London which elected spaffer.

Johnson is a completely different kettle of fish though, he can win where other Tories can’t. That’s not to say Bailey won’t win but it’s pretty unlikely I’d say. 

7 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

yeah...true dat....and I know london is full of twats, but surely they wouldn't vote for Bailey. I reckon a lot of people picked Berry first and Khan 2nd. So, Khan to win...BET NOW!

I was feeling confident but not taking that bet now. Also we're not all twats you northern knobbo.

• Like 1

Difference for me is that Johnson's profile was huge when he went for mayor. It was a real personality driven contest between him and Livingstone. It could be just me but I've seen bollocks all of Bailey to get that same traction.

Edited by Zoo Music Girl

from guardian feed....

Labour set for 'root and branch policy review', shadow home secretary says

In an interview on the Today programme this morning Nick Thomas-Symonds, the shadow home secretary, said that Labour should respond to the election results by accelerating the pace of change. He said there should be a “root and branch policy review” so Labour could have a “bold, credible offer” at the next election.

Asked if this meant ditching the Corbynite policies that Sir Keir Starmer promised to keep when he was running for leader, Thomas-Symonds replied:

No, I think that’s not the analysis I would use.

There are things that were in previous manifestos will always be Labour manifestos; for example, reform of social care which this government is notably failing on, which is a huge challenge.

Secondly, something like addressing climate change, the great challenge of our age.

It is not so easy as to just say you ditch this manifesto or that manifesto. It is accepting that the pandemic has made this dramatic change to our politics. We have to then re-imagine that economy, post pandemic.