news & politics:discussion

zahidf

1 hour ago, Nobody Interesting said:

Before the Uxbridge by election that is exactly what was said about Ulez....................... you would be amazed how angry it makes all too many people here in Wales. Our local FB noticeboard is not  a happy place and people are talking about voting for anyone who is against it.

Doesn't surprise me.

Honestly, the bulk of the electrate are so small minded and unable to think long term. Something like this will win the Tories the election.

8 hours ago, gary1979666 said:

That's one way around it and I'm sure a few might, but most of them wouldn't risk it - it'd be a big old expense which would flag to any auditor or could get picked up at a VAT inspection.  

Could get picked up by a vat inspection, chance of that is once every two Hundred years or something. I didn't have one in twenty five years of vat registration. Guess my numbers fell within their " not dodgy" range. So they didn't feel the need to investigate. Not my problem now. Was nice to unload responsibilities with the sale of the company.

3 hours ago, Crazyfool01 said:

income generators for cash  strapped councils ? the money comes from somewhere or services get cut 

I don’t think trapping motorists is the way to pay for these services. I think some cameras are there to improve safety and fully support these, I don’t support cameras just there to generate money.

So Manchester has been heading in direction of favouring public transport users and cyclists/pedestrians over the years...20mph limits, new cycle paths and bus lanes etc...and i know it f**ks many drivers off as I see it on social media and also I drive too. So..I guess it is these people that Sunak sees as potential way to get votes.

I also cycle and it's f**king dangerous in some places and I have been knocked off my bike a couple of times just in last few months, and I use public transport when need to but would take ages if I tried to get to work on it, my kid uses every day...and we we need to get more people out of their cars so f**koff rishi.

Edited by steviewevie

52 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

So Manchester has been heading in direction of favouring public transport users and cyclists/pedestrians over the years...20mph limits, new cycle paths and bus lanes etc...and i know it f**ks many drivers off as I see it on social media and also I drive too. So..I guess it is these people that Sunak sees as potential way to get votes.

I also cycle and it's f**king dangerous in some places and I have been knocked off my bike a couple of times just in last few months, and I use public transport when need to but would take ages if I tried to get to work on it, my kid uses every day...and we we need to get more people out of their cars so f**koff rishi.

Bristol is full of cyclists it's dreamland for bike thieves .

13 hours ago, pink_triangle said:

I think some of the bus lane speed cameras (particularly when situated right at the end of lanes) are purely about income generation. I would support legislation to stop these, not sure how you would do it though.

They only generate income if you break the law.

Don't break the law.

Simple really.

2 hours ago, steviewevie said:

Wales is building  a network of cycle lanes and paths to encourage walking and cycling.......... in some places it means the roads are narrowed a bit and the biggest reduction was 8 inches.............. 4 inches each way.

The moaning about it and campaigns to have them all removed is beyond pathetic.

Add that to the whole minute longer  a journey through our town might take cos of the 20mph and it is as though you have taken their first born to be sacrificed.

11 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

GDP higher than expected...we're doing better than Germany and France. Go Rishi!

(although growth is bad etc)

Annual growth (meaningless measure) is deemed to be good if running at 2.3% on average.

The UK is estimated to be at 0.2% for 2023 - so less than 10% of good.

If Hunt etc are pleased with that then they are easily pleased.

10 minutes ago, Crazyfool01 said:

Wonder what bike theft is like in Holland ? At some point a saturated market surely lowers the demand for stolen bikes ? 

700,000 stolen in 2021.

The more bikes, the more thefts.

The more of anything, the more thefts of that - cos humans can be utter twunts and think they deserve other peoples stuff.

2 hours ago, Nobody Interesting said:

They only generate income if you break the law.

Don't break the law.

Simple really.

Are you perfect? 

I've been driving for 26 years and have just had my first speeding offence.  

I didn't mean to break the law that day.