news & politics:discussion

zahidf

59 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

Tories looking for a breakthrough...some distance from Labour on net zero or EU or stopping boats....next it will be ECHR...

57 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

Potholes apparently. 

Sunak used potholes before the council elections - they have got worse since.............

ECHR is being done in the court of public opinion, they keep it dangling to see how it goes down and how the simple word 'European' drives people to hate it without even knowing what it is.

7 minutes ago, Nobody Interesting said:

ECHR is being done in the court of public opinion, they keep it dangling to see how it goes down and how the simple word 'European' drives people to hate it without even knowing what it is.

If the public are in favour of removing themselves from access to ECHR, it will be the greatest ever case of "turkeys voting for Christmas" and show just how dumb the majority of the "Great British public" are.

"The greatest argument against democracy is a 5 minute discussion with the average voter"

5 minutes ago, Skip997 said:

If the public are in favour of removing themselves from access to ECHR, it will be the greatest ever case of "turkeys voting for Christmas" and show just how dumb the majority of the "Great British public" are.

"The greatest argument against democracy is a 5 minute discussion with the average voter"

yeah, in reality I don't think they'll do it....but you never know. I could imagine a leader like Braverman or Badenoch having it as policy to try and get tories re-elected though.

6 minutes ago, Skip997 said:

I have talked to, maybe, 10 people about the ECHR. All are 'educated'.

Only 2 knew what it was and what it was all about and why we are members.

Most had heard of it and thought it was something to do with the EU.

The others had not even heard of it.

People would vote to leave it cos they are told it stops us removing 'illegal migrants' and they would do so without knowing all the rights they were throwing down the plughole for themselves. I really do think the Tories are going to have it in their manifesto to 'consider leaving'.

Just now, Ozanne said:

Give it 20 years and the Tories could be in real bother. 

are words used by many 30 years ago.....................

Polls going back a long time have shown little support for the Tories in the younger groups but that changed...... I know the 'boomers' seem to have changed less according to recent polls but the Tories have not been in power much of the last 70 years for no reason.

4 minutes ago, Nobody Interesting said:

are words used by many 30 years ago.....................

Polls going back a long time have shown little support for the Tories in the younger groups but that changed...... I know the 'boomers' seem to have changed less according to recent polls but the Tories have not been in power much of the last 70 years for no reason.

Potentially but polling shows millennials are the first generation to not get as tight wing as they grow older. So I live in hope.

Plus in 20 years Starmer will be stepping down after building a clean energy utopia. Why would people want to vote for the Tories? 😉