news & politics:discussion

zahidf

4 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

Potentially but polling shows millennials are the first generation to not get as tight wing as they grow older. So I live in hope.

Plus in 20 years Starmer will be stepping down after building a clean energy utopia. Why would people want to vote for the Tories? 😉

Welcome to cloud cuckoo land

Population 1

Name Ozanne

"It's important that everyone subscribes to British values. That's the thing that unites us and binds us together."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-66948132

This is something I hear from time to time, but I've never known what it actually means.

Anyone got any idea what "British values" are? Is there actually such a thing that the majority share?

22 minutes ago, Skip997 said:

This is something I hear from time to time, but I've never known what it actually means.

Anyone got any idea what "British values" are? Is there actually such a thing that the majority share?

No .

Remember a radio programme about the subject and no one could pin it down. Plus values are a movable thing

25 minutes ago, Skip997 said:

Conquering lands where those there have no weapons, taking all their wealth and giving them 'demorcracy'?

7 hours ago, Nobody Interesting said:

Personally I think all schools should be the same, the same chances for all everywhere regardless of wealth so perhaps I am not the right person to discuss this with.

While many will agree, how you achieve that is much more complex. Even if you got rid of private schools, many of the best state schools can effectively become private as house price premiums are effectively selective.

6 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

While many will agree, how you achieve that is much more complex. Even if you got rid of private schools, many of the best state schools can effectively become private as house price premiums are effectively selective.

yeah, but that isn't a reason not to abolish. And stick more funds into underperforming schools. Level up etc.

5 minutes ago, Nobody Interesting said:

So the Tories have few, if any British Values then

Only one of those and of course the worst of the five - rule of law.

Maximilien Robespierre: “Any law which violated the inalienable rights of man is essentially unjust and tyrannical; it is not a law at all.”

7 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

Amusingly I believe the right to use private education is part of EHCR. Also some are claiming VAT exemption on education is part of EU VAT rules that we are aligned to. If true EU rules and EHCR will stop Labour doing anyhting about private schools.

23 minutes ago, steviewevie said:
The five British Values are:
  • Democracy.
  • The rule of law.
  • Individual liberty.
  • Mutual respect.
  • Tolerance of those of different faiths and beliefs.

We need a government that recognises these values. 

44 minutes ago, lazyred said:

Amusingly I believe the right to use private education is part of EHCR. Also some are claiming VAT exemption on education is part of EU VAT rules that we are aligned to. If true EU rules and EHCR will stop Labour doing anyhting about private schools.

It5 does not specify Private - just a right to education in Article 2 or Protocol 1

26 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

At the same time as trying to con the electorate the Tories are doing their usual leadership positioning.

The beast will never change as any party formed primarily to gain and keep power only understands power and the need to keep it.

and bang, the election starting gun is fired.......................

The government is to limit measures councils can take to curb car traffic including 20mph speed restrictions and bus lanes, the Guardian understands, under plans that have alarmed travel groups and risks a row with local authorities.

In another sign Rishi Sunak hopes to gain support by prioritising the needs of motorists, other plans expected to be announced next week include limits on local authorities’ abilities to levy fines from traffic cameras and restrictions on enforcing box junction infringements.

It is believed that the prime minister could announce what has been called the “Plan for Motorists” at the Conservative conference in Manchester as early as Monday.

It is expected to include moves to limit English councils’ powers to place 20mph speed limits on main roads, and to restrict the number of hours a day that car traffic is banned from bus lanes.

The plan is understood to also include curbs on local authorities’ ability to impose fines, and thus raise revenue, from traffic infractions caught by automatic number plate recognition cameras, and on the use of such cameras in box junctions.

A Department for Transport source described the policies as “speculation”.

The plans, which have not been discussed with councils, are likely to prompt concern at a further centralisation of powers and the sense that Sunak wants to make life easier for car drivers at the expense of people who use the bus, cycle or walk for travel.

Just now, Ozanne said:

Haha if that’s one of their big policies (20mph) then they have no hope. 

Before the Uxbridge by election that is exactly what was said about Ulez....................... you would be amazed how angry it makes all too many people here in Wales. Our local FB noticeboard is not  a happy place and people are talking about voting for anyone who is against it.

7 minutes ago, Nobody Interesting said:

and bang, the election starting gun is fired.......................

The government is to limit measures councils can take to curb car traffic including 20mph speed restrictions and bus lanes, the Guardian understands, under plans that have alarmed travel groups and risks a row with local authorities.

In another sign Rishi Sunak hopes to gain support by prioritising the needs of motorists, other plans expected to be announced next week include limits on local authorities’ abilities to levy fines from traffic cameras and restrictions on enforcing box junction infringements.

It is believed that the prime minister could announce what has been called the “Plan for Motorists” at the Conservative conference in Manchester as early as Monday.

It is expected to include moves to limit English councils’ powers to place 20mph speed limits on main roads, and to restrict the number of hours a day that car traffic is banned from bus lanes.

The plan is understood to also include curbs on local authorities’ ability to impose fines, and thus raise revenue, from traffic infractions caught by automatic number plate recognition cameras, and on the use of such cameras in box junctions.

A Department for Transport source described the policies as “speculation”.

The plans, which have not been discussed with councils, are likely to prompt concern at a further centralisation of powers and the sense that Sunak wants to make life easier for car drivers at the expense of people who use the bus, cycle or walk for travel.

I think some of the bus lane speed cameras (particularly when situated right at the end of lanes) are purely about income generation. I would support legislation to stop these, not sure how you would do it though.

1 minute ago, pink_triangle said:

I think some of the bus lane speed cameras (particularly when situated right at the end of lanes) are purely about income generation. I would support legislation to stop these, not sure how you would do it though.

income generators for cash  strapped councils ? the money comes from somewhere or services get cut