news & politics:discussion

zahidf

18 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

I wouldn't beat yourself up over it, as I said earlier there's no reason to take morality lessons from a person that bullies, calls people incels, c**ts and stalks their social media pages. 

Don't think he'd be beating himself _up_?

33 minutes ago, Nobody Interesting said:

Why is decoupling green electricity prices from gas prices never talked about?

If it was done electric prices would fall by up to 80% (not inc the standing charge).

This. It should not be hard at all. We just brought back samples from a meteor . Buy Aye profit. Seems we should all be screaming for it

1 hour ago, steviewevie said:

Hate to be that boomer but what is misogynistic about saying someone is attractive?

1 hour ago, Crazyfool01 said:

I’m confused on this too ? So would be interested in response 

I’m not sure I fully understand either. Isn’t it more sexual objectification? I nearly got involved yesterday too - I felt compelled to admit my desire for Matt Hancock. 

😂

16 minutes ago, lost said:

Its (currently) impossible to do. The grid has to be at an exact frequency. In the UK it is 50hz. In that frequency  there’s a very slim margin of error., Anything just 1 per cent above or below the standard 50Hz risks damaging equipment and infrastructure.

Green energy has to be stabilised with a base stable current as the wind and sun will vary based on strength during the day. 

How have Hz got anything to do with price we pay. They know whayt is generated by green and what by gas and our tariff is 100% renewable so why do we have to pay the higher 'gas' coupled price?
I really do not understand your reply

6 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

ok...wtf

They are going better than their initial policy, they are pulling the policy of applying taxes to private schools forward.

From the article:

'The U-turn comes after i revealed earlier this week that Labour will roll out the tax on private schools immediately and in full if it wins the general election, rather than “phasing it in” over several years.

Under current law, independent schools can be recognised as charities if they demonstrate that they make provision for those of “modest means” to attend – usually through scholarships and bursaries. Charitable status means private schools do not have to pay tax on their annual profits, and grants them other tax breaks including business rates relief on buildings. 

New legislation would have to be passed for independent schools to lose their charitable status. Doing so would require a statutory change to the legal definition of “charity”, according to law firm Birketts, which would likely pose wide implications for the charity sector.'

I'm sure this has its downsides for other tax breaks but doing it till way will raise funds much quicker which is what the country needs.

3 minutes ago, stuie said:

I’m not sure I fully understand either. Isn’t it more sexual objectification? I nearly got involved yesterday too - I felt compelled to admit my desire for Matt Hancock. 

😂

During the pandemic with the daily No10 press conferences, one of my sisters said she was starting to Matt Hancock attractive 😂

1 minute ago, Nobody Interesting said:

How have Hz got anything to do with price we pay. They know whayt is generated by green and what by gas and our tariff is 100% renewable so why do we have to pay the higher 'gas' coupled price?
I really do not understand your reply

The gas generated electricity stops all your electrical stuff blowing up. Nobody is on 100% green energy. If you were you'd get a texted from your energy supplier saying "its windy now you can use electricity" and "the winds stopped stop using electricity" There is a hidden cost in green energy which allows you to have electricity 100% of the time.

5 minutes ago, Skip997 said:

Tory lite

As they've increasingly become since Starmer (undercover Tory) took over.

Anyway how the f**k did private schools ever get charity status in the first place.

and it seems, to me at least, that Labour now react fast to any Daily Hate (aka Mail) headlines with changes in policy.........

Are our opposition allowing themselves, in any way, to be moulded by media?

It's not really a change in policy, add VAT can be down by Parliament nearly immediately whereas chasing charity status needs the law to change which could take longer. Doing it this way raises the money quicker.

1 minute ago, lost said:

The gas generated electricity stops all your electrical stuff blowing up. Nobody is on 100% green energy. If you were you'd get a texted from your energy supplier saying "its windy now you can use electricity" and "the winds stopped stop using electricity" There is a hidden cost in green energy which allows you to have electricity 100% of the time.

Good job wind is not the only green energy producer then...................... 

Two things please you can explain.

If we need gas generated electricity to stop things blowing up then:
1) Why when for several months the UK used only 'green' electricity not that long ago did everything not blow up?
2) How does electric ity added from new turbines get added to the network and 'altered' to stop things blowing up. What is different in Green power that means it is different.

6 minutes ago, lost said:

Maybe I do not know enough,  but how does it work in these villages that have turbines and cheaper electricity,  they can't have all their electric from that.

And why can't we work out the cost. Get actuaries on the case. 

Selling  renewable at a different rate on open market. So we are not talking about how it is delivered more how it is sold 

Edited by fred quimby

4 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

It's not really a change in policy, add VAT can be down by Parliament nearly immediately whereas chasing charity status needs the law to change which could take longer. Doing it this way raises the money quicker.

Eton is a charity.
Eton is a fee paying private school.

Is Eton being exempted?

2 minutes ago, fred quimby said:

Maybe I do not know enough,  but how does it work in these villages that have turbines and cheaper electricity,  they can't have all their electric from that.

Selling  renewable at a different rate on open market. So we are not talking about how it is delivered more how it is sold 

This seems to address lots of our thoughts.
https://www.nationalgrideso.com/electricity-explained/how-do-we-balance-grid/what-frequency

It seems to me they are pretty much there already with 2025 a final date for 100% zero carbon with zero problems.

and as you say, some communities already run off hydro, wind and solar generated locally and nothing blows up there.

Either way, there is still no reason the retail price cannot be decoupled.................. apart from protecting profit

9 minutes ago, fred quimby said:

I haven't got a clue how those villages work but I know physics and I know the grid has to be a constant so say as a gust of wind happens or the sun goes behind a cloud as the alterative energy increases/decreases they keep a constant frequency by increasing/decreasing from the base which is gas coal or nuclear. Everyone here on a green tariff is using gas generated electricity either partiality or fully when alternatives are not generating anything.

Also when its "too windy" they actually pay windmill companies money to shut them down. That money comes out of everyone's standing charge.

Edited by lost

19 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

Bookies slash odds on Matt Hancock winning Celebrity SAS: Who Dares Wins as  he's killed more people than all the instructors combined – NewsThump

19 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

During the pandemic with the daily No10 press conferences, one of my sisters said she was starting to Matt Hancock attractive 😂

What can I say? Lockdowns have got a lot to answer for 😂

3 minutes ago, fred quimby said:

@lost is talking about balancing the grid in order to keep it at the right Alternating current frequency. This is done by switching on and off the available generation types, e.g. wind/solar/gas/nuclear according to demand.

An extreme example is the use of the Dinorwig (sp) pumped storage facility in Wales, which kicks in during times of extreme demand, e.g. when everyone makes a cuppa during the adverts in the middle of Coronation Street.

Nuclear and gas are used a base load power plants - The power from these plants is used to cater the base demand of the grid. Renewable generation depends on the weather (except some hydro, e.g. tidal), it will be used in preference when available. The advantage of gas is that it can be rapidly switched on or off depending on demand.

9 minutes ago, Nobody Interesting said:

Eton is a charity.
Eton is a fee paying private school.

Is Eton being exempted?

I think that because the legislation exists already, VAT can be applied by Ministers using secondary legislation. Whereas removal of charity status require a change of the law through primary legislation. So Labour can apply VAT on private schools very quickly. The charity status would end the lack of VAT amongst other benefits so I think that's the difference.

Just now, Ozanne said:

I think that because the legislation exists already, VAT can be applied by Ministers using secondary legislation. Whereas removal of charity status require a change of the law through primary legislation. So Labour can apply VAT on private schools very quickly. The charity status would end the lack of VAT amongst other benefits so I think that's the difference.

I get that.............. but is Eton exempt or not as it fits both parts of the policy.

Lots of reading re Green electric but apart from the link I posted earlier from ECO there is no mention of Hz in any of them.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-56602674
https://www.theguardian.com/money/2022/jan/22/energy-bills-i-got-a-green-deal-so-why-am-i-paying-eye-watering-sums
https://www.independent.co.uk/climate-change/news/uk-green-energy-tariffs-electricity-gas-prices-b2047993.html
https://www.ucl.ac.uk/news/2022/jan/opinion-renewables-are-cheaper-ever-so-why-are-household-energy-bills-only-going

Obvious more complex than we all think but like all pricing in all businesses....................... if they wanted to change it they would