news & politics:discussion

zahidf

6 minutes ago, fraybentos1 said:

which it obviously isn't. No one is working as hard on a friday afternoon as they are on a tuesday morning 

If there's twenty percent fewer nursing hours there's twenty percent less nursing output. The gain from Monday morning is marginal against the twenty percent loss.

30 minutes ago, Neil said:

It's 20% less input. So a 20%  drop in output if effort is equal across all hours.

Most studies suggest that it's more like a 2-5% drop in output, because people maintain more efficiency, don't waste as much time/energy on commuting, and there's less sense of trying to squeeze in personal admin on either lunch breaks or while at work.

I have a friend who agreed to a 18% paycut to get a 4 day week, and he reckons he gets the exact same amount done as his colleagues that do 5 day weeks.

Just now, kaosmark2 said:

I have a friend who agreed to a 18% paycut to get a 4 day week, and he reckons he gets the exact same amount done as his colleagues that do 5 day weeks.

I know that I'd comfortably get as much done in 3 days as I currently do in 5.

And Neil don't bother replying to this, I've got you on ignore.

2 minutes ago, Skip997 said:

And Neil don't bother replying to this, I've got you on ignore.lll

I'll call out bollocks for the bollocks I is?

you're obviously not doing an honest five days work m glad I'm not your employer!

Wonder what Skippy thinks about the greens localism, when he takes no interest in local issues. To the extent of not being aware of local issues

15 minutes ago, Skip997 said:

No way I would in 3 days. 4 I probably would in most weeks but not 3.

19 minutes ago, Neil said:

If there's twenty percent fewer nursing hours there's twenty percent less nursing output. The gain from Monday morning is marginal against the twenty percent loss.

Doesn't necessarily apply to every profession equally. Nurses work 3 or 4 days a week anyway long hours. Was more meaning typical mon-fri office jobs. People aren't robots.

9 minutes ago, fraybentos1 said:

Doesn't necessarily apply to every profession equally. Nurses work 3 or 4 days a week anyway long hours. Was more meaning typical mon-fri office jobs. People aren't robots.

There's also various studies evidencing that if people are doing shift work, they tend to perform much better in a 4-day week where they have 2.5-3.5 day gaps to transition between different shift patterns.

7 minutes ago, kaosmark2 said:

There's also various studies evidencing that if people are doing shift work, they tend to perform much better in a 4-day week where they have 2.5-3.5 day gaps to transition between different shift patterns.

There are ways in any shift pattern to make things better for the employee that much is clear. We used to work 6 day weeks, no reason 4 can't be the norm and it probs will be in the future. Work life balance would be brilliant.

1 hour ago, Neil said:

20%cut in output means 20% less of what we want to have.

That’s not the case, studies and trials have shown that output remains the same if not higher on a 4 day week because people are much more productive. People are happier as they get more time with their loved ones and more time to themselves which equates to a more productive worker. 

8 minutes ago, philipsteak said:

Wouldn't have had Neil down as on the side of the Victorian mill owners when faced with the new fangled "weekend".

What's your stance on sending small children up chimneys?

Wouldn't you?

No matter what he tries to look like on here, it's very clear what his actual politics are.

He'll also reply to this even though he knows I've got him on ignore.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, steviewevie said:

wasn't there a 4 day week trial with a bunch of businesses a while ago, and most carried on with it after trial was over...?

Ah, the heady Covid days when some companies thought about that dream…

2 hours ago, Ozanne said:

That’s not the case, studies and trials have shown that output remains the same if not higher on a 4 day week because people are much more productive. People are happier as they get more time with their loved ones and more time to themselves which equates to a more productive worker. 

People are happier workers not sure nurses would be happy doing shifts with 20% less assistance.

1 hour ago, Skip997 said:

Wouldn't you?

No matter what he tries to look like on here, it's very clear what his actual politics are.

He'll also reply to this even though he knows I've got him on ignore.

I'd send you up a Cimney for the first bit of work in your life 

3 hours ago, Skip997 said:

ive got your fake persona on ignore, i've met whole laybys of fakers like you, which is why i spotted it with you straight away.

you'd be too busy freeloading to do five days

Edited by Neil

3 hours ago, steviewevie said:

wasn't there a 4 day week trial with a bunch of businesses a while ago, and most carried on with it after trial was over...?

I've been on a 4 day week since my heart attack 3 years ago. I'm poorer but much happier. Hoping to drop to a 3 day week after my 60th at the end of this year.

34 minutes ago, Punksnotdead said:

I've been on a 4 day week since my heart attack 3 years ago. I'm poorer but much happier. Hoping to drop to a 3 day week after my 60th at the end of this year.

i know how it goes, i'm now on a no days week, and love it. 🙂 

5 hours ago, Ozanne said:

There might be some gains but not enough to offset the lost input. so the result is less for everyone.

If someone is proposing it as a new normal then it needs to be honestly sold.

If a consultant takes away a whole day of seeing patients then those lost appointment slots cannot be made up.