news & politics:discussion

zahidf

1 hour ago, Ozanne said:

How lovely of him. 

Tax cuts for the rich at the expense of the disabled.

And not even the NHS will employ the disabled.

I'll agree to get a job if govt agencies agree to employ people like me.

Edited by Neil

49 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

In the end will people feel much better off and that public services have improved by the next election? I doubt it. 

Cutting NI won’t mean improvements to public services and forcing people back to work or risk their benefits getting cut will impact disabled people in such a bad way. This is heinous. 

Not sure how this all disabled people must go back to work thing will work. 

Not all disabilities are physical. While some would love the opportunity to be able to work from a home office it’s not suitable for everyone. 

What about those affected by brain disorders? I know I’d struggle to get another job if I needed to get one. I get given a lot of slack at my work and a lot of support to help me work. It’s only as I have a lot of knowledge in a niche industry that I’m still able to work. 

My skills can be transferred to other industries but I’ll be bottom of a very large pile when it comes to applications. Going onto disability was going to be my fall back in plan if I ended up losing my job. 

21 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

Not all disabilities are physical.

You'd think these are the people they are targetting. Aparently the big jump during/after covid/lockdowns was young people with anxiety. Also quite a few work from home types who were obviously not set up properly now with back problems.

You'd hope there is some sort of plan is place to help the younger ones as 40 - 50 years on benefits isn't a great life.

13 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

Whitty says he shouldn't have used term behavourial fatigue in early days as a reason not to lockdown early...and also confirms that he was not consulted on dishi rishi's eat out to help out policy.

but to be fair to bojo he says that whole lockdown thing was against everything that he was about...but he still made that decision (talking first lockdown).

1 hour ago, Barry Fish said:

I always thought the work from home movement would be great for disabled people.  Sadly that movement seems to have been reversed with a lot of roles now going back to hybrid or office based.  

I think its good to help people back to work but this idea all disabled can just work remotely seems flawed in the current employment market.  

It worked well for my Mum - she had been struggling to get into work before lockdown (after having lost her mobility car some years ago), but now works full time from home because they appreciate her situation and know she can do her job just as well.

But I appreciate she is one of the fortunate ones.