news & politics:discussion

zahidf

4 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

Wes Streeting commenting on this topic. 

I get your point and I can see why you like what he's saying.

I'm outside of the Labour activist bubble and it appears to be saying they want their cake and eat it:

- it's a strawman argument to say 'every good cause', nobody's arguing for that;

- it would be lovely for politicians to never make a promise (!) but you have to tell the electorate what you intend doing, it's trust, hence the psychological contract of the manifesto;

- by definition every govt has to make hard choices as there are finite resources, but not every govt can be trusted just because they've made decisions, that's just a weird thing to say.

I'm not saying all this to wind you up though Ozanne, I just find it rather brazen for Streeting to present themselves in the election in such a benign manner when governments can wield such enormous society altering power.

I've clearly woken up on the wrong side of the bed this morning and so will take myself offline before I start effing and blinding!

19 minutes ago, Kurosagi said:

I get your point and I can see why you like what he's saying.

I'm outside of the Labour activist bubble and it appears to be saying they want their cake and eat it:

- it's a strawman argument to say 'every good cause', nobody's arguing for that;

- it would be lovely for politicians to never make a promise (!) but you have to tell the electorate what you intend doing, it's trust, hence the psychological contract of the manifesto;

- by definition every govt has to make hard choices as there are finite resources, but not every govt can be trusted just because they've made decisions, that's just a weird thing to say.

I'm not saying all this to wind you up though Ozanne, I just find it rather brazen for Streeting to present themselves in the election in such a benign manner when governments can wield such enormous society altering power.

I've clearly woken up on the wrong side of the bed this morning and so will take myself offline before I start effing and blinding!

yeah...they're saying they're going to borrow sh*t loads for green stuff...but public services are crying out for cash, for capital spending, for wages...where is that going to come from?

1 hour ago, Ozanne said:

Wes Streeting commenting on this topic. 

Some people also seem to ignore that Labour have announced some pretty ambitious spending policies such as their green policies including GB Energy. 

It could be that the refunding of many projects is all thats really needed to pump up everything else from the increase in activity.  Because of the associated effects from one spend, there's a risk of wasting spends on other things in the same locality. i worded that rubbish l. All I'm trying to say is that the benefits from any increased investment. (spend) are felt beyond the borders of the recipient of the increased investment.you dont have to spend bigger on every area to get an improvement in every area.the benefits of increased investment spread out across society 

5 hours ago, lost said:

Did you ever read the Alistair Darling deficit reduction plan? That was sort of my point that there is a set of people who expect politicians to have unlimited resources to work with hence your always going to get the abuse for things you can do very little about. 

I think the key area where you and I differ is that I think those who massively enrich themselves either during or after service the people deserve the abuse.

6 hours ago, Kurosagi said:

I've also become bitterly cynical and as such see that whilst the first priority is paramount, the second priority rarely materialises,

We've literally seen our country torn apart by tory 'purity' over brexit. The purity factions of the tory party have been a constant psychodrama over the last couple of years laid bare for all to see. Historically, it was a stick to beat Labour with, but there is no difference between Labour and Tories on members demanding their own brand of perfection.

Labour got in power last time and did loads of good stuff, wasn’t perfect but (particularly early on) a lot of people benefited from a labour government, the same could happen again.

When I talk about purity i don’t mean ideological, more playing the political game. Labour are expected to keep to all their pledges and Torys get a free pass. Labour expected to play by the rules while its accepted Tory’s will bend them.

4 hours ago, zahidf said:

“A big Starmer win will destroy the Tories as a viable political force for literally a generation, as lefties we think this is bad, don’t vote for it.”

20230709_151415.jpg

Some people love the easy life of being in opposition and just scream about what’s wrong. Others want to get in power and change things.

6 hours ago, zahidf said:

“A big Starmer win will destroy the Tories as a viable political force for literally a generation, as lefties we think this is bad, don’t vote for it.”

20230709_151415.jpg

What a dick, these type of control attempting predictions are so childish. You only need to change one word to show how ridiculous predicting politics can be:

"The honest truth is that if Starmer Johnson wins with a massive majority he will be PM for 10 years".

1 hour ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

I hope that the week gets better for you.

This might well be filed under the 'Things you can't unsee' category!

Is this some joke AI produced photo doing the rounds or the real deal? The conversations this morning around the 'water cooler' have mostly centered on what is it about supposedly intelligent celebrities that makes them lose their marbles and think that nobody will ever find out about this stuff?!

47 minutes ago, Kurosagi said:

This might well be filed under the 'Things you can't unsee' category!

Is this some joke AI produced photo doing the rounds or the real deal? The conversations this morning around the 'water cooler' have mostly centered on what is it about supposedly intelligent celebrities that makes them lose their marbles and think that nobody will ever find out about this stuff?!

I don't know if it's AI produced or not. I only know that (a) my source doesn't voluntarily lie, and (b) he is normally right. In fact, i can't think of when he has ever been wrong. 

On your second paragraph - I too think it's crazed for a celebrity to do things like this, and not get caught. Maybe it's the thrill of potentially getting caught than the 'act' itself that drives them. I have no idea, as apart from rabid drug consumption, I don't really have any 'deviencies', so to speak. Well, none that immediately spring to mind. 

3 hours ago, Crazyfool01 said:

if only we had the people to fill the job opportunities !!! 

easy way to get the people (i'm not seriously suggesting this!) is to abolish pip up-to-£700pm not means tested.

8 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

I know it's difficult, but if everyone could avoid speculation or obvious suggestions about who this "presenter" might be, that would be appreciated. Also, please don't post the related image(s) doing the rounds. They are easily faked nowadays anyway.

according to radio 4 last night its a news presenter, so perhaps not who people have been thinking.

13 minutes ago, Neil said:

easy way to get the people (i'm not seriously suggesting this!) is to abolish pip up-to-£700pm not means tested.

I have applied twice. The last time I was interviewed at home. I got the knockback as I was able to keep good eye contact. I self harm, scratch myself, when anxious and even though I showed my scars that wasn't enough. I couldn't be arsed to appeal.