news & politics:discussion

zahidf

1 hour ago, crazyfool1 said:

How long do we give her ? Place your bets now 

its so easy to get these thibn gs wrong, i thought spaffer would be gone after losing those by elections, but he clung on for longer.

truss will be in trouble after some poor by election resukts, but she'll last longer than that.

49 minutes ago, Alvoram said:

Got our first gas bill for the pub since the rises today, look at the increase in rates... Hate to see the electricity bill. 

Who's up for a £15 pint at my place this winter? 😕 

1098294849_Screenshot2022-09-05165937.png.77a27e6c3aba2064a88bd884f07fc726.png

She has some work to do, and quickly!

Jesus Christ.

I can imagine there's further pain for pubs as well as a winter World Cup must've made many think that they might be in to relieve some of the trouble but this is quite the huge obstacle that's just throttling covid recovery at source.

55 minutes ago, Alvoram said:

Got our first gas bill for the pub since the rises today, look at the increase in rates... Hate to see the electricity bill. 

radio four this morning talked about the twenty quid pint.

i said my local will prolly get rid of its outdoor heaters. which will be a shame cos most people sit in the yard.

1 hour ago, Alvoram said:

I hope that help comes along quickly, that’s just awful. 

21 minutes ago, charlierc said:

Less time than the last 2 PM's imo. There is a scenario when she wins a majority in 2024 and keeps the job but there is a ton of work to do first.

By then we will be 14 years into a tory government, I think/hope the country has had enough and I can't see the public warming to Truss. My prediction is labour minority government with the SNP agreeing not to vote down budgets.

1 hour ago, pink_triangle said:

By then we will be 14 years into a tory government, I think/hope the country has had enough and I can't see the public warming to Truss. My prediction is labour minority government with the SNP agreeing not to vote down budgets.

Labour need the Lib Dems not SNP. Labour plus LD should be enough as the libs will get around 25/30 seats

2 hours ago, Alvoram said:

Fuck is it really that bad. At what level does your business become not been viable? How much will your customers take?

I'm an alright type Jack type of man. I am an introvert and keep myself to myself. I have to move due to being evicted but I worry about older neighbours. In my next place I will invite elderly neighbours for a hot meal or even for a cup of tea. I remember the power cuts of the 70's but what the fuck have we come to? Surely we should learn from history but fuck it 

2 hours ago, pink_triangle said:

yeah: because the SNP don't play fast and lose with promises.

12 hours ago, fraybentos1 said:

Labour need the Lib Dems not SNP. Labour plus LD should be enough as the libs will get around 25/30 seats

What labour will need will depend on the arithmetic. My prediction is labour will still need SNP not to vote against a budget. I can't see there being any deals made in relation to independence. I think labour will make the SNP choose labour or tory and they will fold.

15 hours ago, clarkete said:

Was that really as little as 0.17% of the electorate who voted for her? 

81,326 (less than Bozo, Cameron and even IDS). 

Got her work cut out, poor little lamb 😊

Certainly isn't a good result for her, especially compared to the polls beforehand.

I get the small % of the electorate issue, but it's the same across the spectrum....how many got their say when Gordon Brown took over?  Not a great system, but hardly a Tory issue.

11 minutes ago, gary1979666 said:

I appreciate there are differences, but aren't most options (including Labour's) to freeze bills and effectively put the balance on the govt's credit card, effectively for the public to repay over several generations? It's not that wildly different.

Labour’s would be funded by a windfall tax whereas this proposed offer would be a handout to energy firms and solely on the tax payer for years to come. Your kids and their kids will be paying for something they never had.