news & politics:discussion

zahidf

7 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

https://theweek.com/law/how-the-post-office-got-its-prosecution-powers#

I didn’t know either, the link might be helpful. 

Thanks for that. During the Sumner I used to work at festivals maybe 12 a season. Winter I would work at the Royal Mail. I know this has nothing to do with me but it has affected me. f**k.

2 hours ago, Barry Fish said:

I know the first £30,000 of compensation is usually tax free and then its subject to the usual income tax rules.  But from the business side I would of thought it was deductable against corporation tax.  Can't really argue against accounts though.  Be interested to read more on this but can't find a none pay walled article 

Compensation being subject to taxation is dependant on the reason for the compensation - generally, if its to do with compensation to some sort of financial loss, then yes its taxable. But if its to do with "harm" or "wrongdoing" then it isn't. Talking specifically about the individual who receives the compensation here. But presumably the entity paying that compensation shouldn't be able to write off compensation paid if its for harm or wrongdoing - but could if it related to a financial compensation.

I am not an expert on it, though.

Edited by cellar
Typo

4 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

If we are going to be racist can we at least use the right racism.  That was aimed at the Japanese.  Or just edit your comments and don't get banned.

Yeah not cool. Let's just not be racist eh

1 minute ago, Barry Fish said:

Bbc and others have been reporting this morning.  From the reading it could go either way and is subjective.  I doubt the post office would of done it unless they felt it was OK and there accounts are audited.  Be interesting which was it goes.

Yeah its a very interesting edge case. Personally I think it falls under harm and wrongdoing, so shouldn't be able to write off. But as you say, we'll see which way they go

2 hours ago, Barry Fish said:

Im confused.  You are told by your accountant it isn't a valid business expense and you would put it through anyway?  Thats would be kinda dumb.

If I hadn't been told I'd assume it counted as a business expense cos it's a cost of doing business.

Hi all - thanks for the reports. Hopefully it'll be of no surprise to anyone that racist language or slurs - whether intended to be funny or not - are completely unacceptable here, as they are everywhere else. The account in question will be temporarily restricted from accessing the forum.

• Like 1

Just now, steviewevie said:

Looks like DPP have won in Taiwan, WW3 still on target..only Trump can save us now.

Is there any space left at all before midnight on the doomsday clock, or is the next tick it?

Who knows what will happen with Taiwan. Will China actually do a full scale invasion and risk a war with US and co? Unlikely I reckon. But Xi seems to be making taking Taiwan a priority, so maybe something will happen one day. Whether US actually does react following an invasion and how is another big question. If Trump is back in power US might become a lot more isolationist, might be a good opportunity for China/Russia/Iran...

7 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

The sensible thing to do with Taiwan and for the matter the Faulklands is agree a 100 or 150 year hand back of the islands.  Like what we agreed around Hong Kong.

That's not Hong Kong worked

Plus I think Taiwan is where the exisiting government fled during the Chinese civil war when the communists seized power so I guess they'd argue China should be handed back to them not the other way around.

Edited by lost

6 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

Oh I thought it was.  Still a good idea though.

We agreed to give the new territories back plus the island when leasing the new territories.

1 minute ago, Barry Fish said:

I think you are splitting hairs a bit 😆 

No its not a process that can be repeated anywhere cos the same situation doesn't exist anywhere.

7 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

That's clearly nonsense 😆 

Its not going to happen but thus isn't a reason it couldn't happen 

Show me the expiring leases that exist for the Falklands and twain. Without expiring leases they are not anything similar.

23 minutes ago, lost said:

Plus I think Taiwan is where the exisiting government fled during the Chinese civil war when the communists seized power so I guess they'd argue China should be handed back to them not the other way around.

Taiwan was where the nationalists fled and setup a fascist dictatorship which lasted until 1987 and was responsible for mass killings of Taiwanese leftists.

Edited by mattiloy

8 minutes ago, mattiloy said:

Taiwan was where the nationalists fled and setup a fascist dictatorship which lasted until 1987 and was responsible for mass killings of Taiwanese leftists.

Yep 10 million dead under the nationalists and 40 million dead under the communists. A bit of bad blood there. I can't see a Hong Kong style deal working.

5 minutes ago, lost said:

Yep 10 million dead under the nationalists and 40 million dead under the communists. A bit of bad blood there. I can't see a Hong Kong style deal working.

the facts don't exist for a deal similar to hong kong, and why would anyone agree a deal with the CCP when they haven't suck to the HK deal.

15 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

OK Neil 

would be better if you knew the facts than invent your own just like trump does.