news & politics:discussion

zahidf

1 hour ago, fraybentos1 said:

Fylnn is a talented speaker, impressive how he speaks with no notes well at PMQs. To be honest though, I wouldn't be that shocked if he lost his seat at the next election if things are going as badly as they look for the SNP.

He impressed me … more in terms of the optics of it all . PMQs is obviously about snapshots that get presented in the mainstream news … people won’t see the SNP policy behind them but will get the headlines and land some blows . 

2 hours ago, fraybentos1 said:

Totally different thing, no idea why you posted about the SCP when I just have. Try google the difference between devolved and reserved powers.

they rob the money from all sorts of different places, local councils/education/and drug treatment have been favourites.

unfortunately for accountability there's been heaps of extra money (after budgets have been done) in recent years due to exceptional circumstances (covid), so there hasn't been the cuts there might have been.

Edited by Neil

2 minutes ago, gizmoman said:

So pubs can refuse black people or gays if they wish?

no, i'm not saying racist discrimination should be allowed -  i once refused tory party advertising for efestivals, and think that was reasonable people might have thought it was an endorsement.

1 minute ago, Neil said:

no, i'm not saying racist discrimination should be allowed -  i once refused tory party advertising for efestivals, and think that was reasonable people might have thought it was an endorsement.

So just political discrimination then, you don't like Farage so it's o.k. that he can't get a bank account, presumably that would apply to Corbyn too since you hate him, and a case could be made by the banks that he is antisemitic. If you were running the bank would you exclude any SNP members too? (i know you are not a fan). Banks should stick to providing financial services, the irony is they claim to be non-discriminatory.

2 hours ago, Ozanne said:

https://www.socialsecurity.gov.scot/news-events/news/scottish-child-payment-doubles

It seems the Scottish government can make changes to benefit payments so it seem they might be able to change the cap on 3rd/4th children. 

So to follow up on this, I’ve been having a look on Twitter. From what I can see it looks the cap policy is reserved but can be mitigated by giving additional payments to families as per the article. Now some are saying that the payments don’t cover of what you would get if the cap was abolished so in theory the SNP could do more to help by increasing those payments. So Flynn was correct earlier but equally it looks like they could do more.

I wonder if this type of thing is what Labour is looking at as it fits with the talk of help being more tailored to families that need it?

27 minutes ago, gizmoman said:

So just political discrimination then, you don't like Farage so it's o.k. that he can't get a bank account, presumably that would apply to Corbyn too since you hate him, and a case could be made by the banks that he is antisemitic. If you were running the bank would you exclude any SNP members too? (i know you are not a fan). Banks should stick to providing financial services, the irony is they claim to be non-discriminatory.

I may be wrong but banks can are covered by the Equality Act but only in terms of a basic account. Coutes withdrew their services but Natwest offered him a basic account for his needs.

50 minutes ago, Neil said:

they rob the money from all sorts of different places, local councils/education/and drug treatment have been favourites.

unfortunately for accountability there's been heaps of extra money (after budgets have been done) in recent years due to exceptional circumstances (covid), so there hasn't been the cuts there might have been.

yep but totally irrelevant to the point i was making which was the distinction between devolved and reserved powers

51 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

So to follow up on this, I’ve been having a look on Twitter. From what I can see it looks the cap policy is reserved but can be mitigated by giving additional payments to families as per the article. Now some are saying that the payments don’t cover of what you would get if the cap was abolished so in theory the SNP could do more to help by increasing those payments. So Flynn was correct earlier but equally it looks like they could do more.

I wonder if this type of thing is what Labour is looking at as it fits with the talk of help being more tailored to families that need it?

Did you read the link I posted? I imagine not, but would have saved you doing your research via Twitter.

And I think somewhere in there you're saying "okay, I was wrong."

36 minutes ago, cellar said:

Did you read the link I posted? I imagine not, but would have saved you doing your research via Twitter.

And I think somewhere in there you're saying "okay, I was wrong."

No I didn’t read the link and yes I was wrong. 

3 hours ago, Crazyfool01 said:

He impressed me … more in terms of the optics of it all . PMQs is obviously about snapshots that get presented in the mainstream news … people won’t see the SNP policy behind them but will get the headlines and land some blows . 

I actually thought Blackford was better, I find Flynn a bit forgettable. I also don’t believe the SNP make many headlines at PMQ. Unless you are watching the daily politics show, the focus on the national news rarely goes beyond the PM and leader of the opposition. 

2 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

I actually thought Blackford was better, I find Flynn a bit forgettable. I also don’t believe the SNP make many headlines at PMQ. Unless you are watching the daily politics show, the focus on the national news rarely goes beyond the PM and leader of the opposition. 

in England maybe...

3 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

Yep blackford was better I agree … still like the lines of questioning they take .. maybe I spend too much time seeing stuff on Twitter 🙂 

8 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

Tbf I don’t think PMQs in general has much cut through with the public just obsessives ones like us.

Just now, Ozanne said:

Tbf I don’t think PMQs in general has much cut through with the public just obsessives ones like us.

I think it has a small cut through, but I don’t think most pay attention beyond Starmer and Sunak. My work is full of people who are likely swing voters, I guarantee most won’t have a clue who Flynn is. I would be interested to know how well known he is in Scotland compared to Humza.

Just now, pink_triangle said:

Playing devils advocate, but is PMQ easier if you are from a party with no chance of forming the government?

initially I think Starmer performed well .... but lately he seems to have gone off the boil .... maybe you have a point on that . , nearing govt it might be more difficult 

1 minute ago, pink_triangle said:

I think it has a small cut through, but I don’t think most pay attention beyond Starmer and Sunak. My work is full of people who are likely swing voters, I guarantee most won’t have a clue who Flynn is. I would be interested to know how well known he is in Scotland compared to Humza.

You are probably right, but I don’t think Humza is that well known either especially compared to the former leaders.

4 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

Playing devils advocate, but is PMQ easier if you are from a party with no chance of forming the government?

Almost definitely, it must be frustrating though when the PM barely answers any questions. 

3 hours ago, gizmoman said:

Weren’t there reports he didn’t have enough money to be in the high flyers club? Have they been proven false? His rants today seem a little like he’s playing the victim and explaining how everybody is against him once again.

3 minutes ago, Ryan1984 said:

Weren’t there reports he didn’t have enough money to be in the high flyers club? Have they been proven false? 

He made a freedom of information request I think. The bank had a file on him including bizarrely sharing a Ricky Gervais sketch that was deemed transphobic.

Farage is a c**t and I like it when bad sh*t happens to him, but at same time I'm not sure it's ok for a bank to close an account without warning because they don't like someone's politics.

But at same time again it's farage and he's milking it of course the opportunistic c**t so f**k him.