news & politics:discussion

zahidf

23 minutes ago, clarkete said:

Fair shout. 

I can recall answering the phone to him when he was chair of the young social democrats, so as someone who didn't closely follow the transition to the Lib Dems I was a tad surprised several years later seeing him commenting on the comings and goings of the tories.

Ha I bet!

41 minutes ago, mattiloy said:

Lula wins.

Good stuff. It seems that everyone loves a leftist beating the hard right, as long as it happens in some far flung land.

Hard to compare too much to other countries with Bolsonaro wasn't it? 

Some of the things he's done during his term have been awful and the campaign he's run has used his status and government propaganda for his campaign, whilst also stating pretty flatly that if he didn't win then it would be an unfair election.

1 hour ago, clarkete said:

Some of the things he's done during his term have been awful and the campaign he's run has used his status and government propaganda for his campaign, whilst also stating pretty flatly that if he didn't win then it would be an unfair election.

I mean, Trump compares.

9 hours ago, clarkete said:

In terms of corruption, undermining democratic institutions, enabling environmental degradation, damaging the country’s international standing, attacks on human rights, minorities - the tories absolutely hold pace with him.

Maybe the big emotive factor is the amazon. Which considering the uk has denuded its own temperate rainforest to about 1% of it natural range over the centuries in first feudalism’s and later capitalism’s name, without any real effort to restore it, smacks of hypocrisy and colonialist thinking.

Leftism and environmentalism for developing countries, fascism and consumerism at home. The western liberal’s preferred status quo.

The guardian joined in on the smears on Britain’s Lula and let in Britain’s Bolsonaro.

Edited by mattiloy

32 minutes ago, mattiloy said:

In terms of corruption, undermining democratic institutions, enabling environmental degradation, damaging the country’s international standing, attacks on human rights, minorities - the tories absolutely hold pace with him.

Maybe the big emotive factor is the amazon. Which considering the uk has denuded its own temperate rainforest to about 1% of it natural range over the centuries in first feudalism’s and later capitalism’s name, without any real effort to restore it, smacks of hypocrisy and colonialist thinking.

Leftism and environmentalism for developing countries, fascism and consumerism at home. The western liberal’s preferred status quo.

The guardian joined in on the smears on Britain’s Lula and let in Britain’s Bolsonaro.

Yes, just the same.

3 hours ago, steviewevie said:

Yes, just the same.

Left wing and Green policy platform  

Election versus malign, corrupt far right  

and…

Wreath laying  

Sharing platforms with baddies  

Recognising state of palestine  

One is heralded and the other hounded by the british liberal commentariet.

Same praise is reserved for other foreign left figures: Bernie Sanders, AOC, Gabriel Boric

It is the liberal moral deficit manifest: ’I agree with the principle of left wing politics, but I don’t want them to personally effect me as regards paying more tax or having to send my brats to some brutish comprehensive school’

9F284E90-FCC9-4320-9DE6-3C7B2F921868.jpeg

Edited by mattiloy

12 minutes ago, Crazyfool01 said:

How the hell is braverman still in office ?!!!  I guess if sunak sacks her it reflects very badly on him … she’s bloody horrendous 

shes on the right of the party, having her on board quietens the w*nkers.

1 hour ago, mattiloy said:

Left wing and Green policy platform  

Election versus malign, corrupt far right  

and…

Wreath laying  

Sharing platforms with baddies  

Recognising state of palestine  

One is heralded and the other hounded by the british liberal commentariet.

Same praise is reserved for other foreign left figures: Bernie Sanders, AOC, Gabriel Boric

It is the liberal moral deficit manifest: ’I agree with the principle of left wing politics, but I don’t want them to personally effect me as regards paying more tax or having to send my brats to some brutish comprehensive school’

9F284E90-FCC9-4320-9DE6-3C7B2F921868.jpeg

not sure what you're banging on about.

It was mainly relief that Bolsonaro lost.

22 minutes ago, Crazyfool01 said:

She’s off the far end of the right scale .. appeases 1922 knobs … but not sure she can hang on now … so it’s gonna cause plenty of disruption 

she's both ideologically twisted and ridiculously shit and shouldn't be anywhere near government let along the Home Office. Kind of just shows how weak Sunak is and how divided his party is that he felt he had to put her there.