news & politics:discussion

zahidf

27 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

wasn't there some agreement to let labour have a go at Bexley/Sidcup, and lib dems a go at N Shropshire.

I think a lot in N Shropshire labour were not happy about giving way to Lib Dems because of labour getting 2nd last time, and there was a some bitterness between labour and libdem towards the end of campaigning...just shows any alliance not going to be that easy.

I don’t think there was anything official as it would get torn apart by the Tories and the media but there clearly was less attention/money put into the campaigns by the different parties. 

5 hours ago, maelzoid said:

Can anyone explain why the tactical voters gathered behind the LibDems, not Labour, who were the clear 2nd placers in '19?

It’s my constituency. We had Labour come round once and Lib Dems 8 or 9 times. Don’t think the party put any sort of campaign together. Happy to let the Libs have it. They didn’t get my vote though. I just couldn’t bring myself to vote for them even though I was desperate to get the Tories out and they were clearly the challengers

4 minutes ago, tarw said:

It’s my constituency. We had Labour come round once and Lib Dems 8 or 9 times. Don’t think the party put any sort of campaign together. Happy to let the Libs have it. They didn’t get my vote though. I just couldn’t bring myself to vote for them even though I was desperate to get the Tories out and they were clearly the challengers

see, if people want to get tories out then they're really going to have to hold their nose and vote for someone they don't really want to vote for. I really can't see any progressive alliance actually happening.

Easy for me to say as I live in super safe labour land...so safe that sometimes I vote green so I feel extra self righteous

And whilst I'm at it...I don't really like this name progressive alliance. I mean, what do they mean by progressive? There's probably a bunch of people on the right/libertarian/hard-brexit in the tories/reform/reclaim/regurgitate that think they're the progressive ones..britannia unchained and all that.

13 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

And whilst I'm at it...I don't really like this name progressive alliance. I mean, what do they mean by progressive? There's probably a bunch of people on the right/libertarian/hard-brexit in the tories/reform/reclaim/regurgitate that think they're the progressive ones..britannia unchained and all that.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Progressivism

41 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

so are current lib dem and labour parties progressive?

I’d say LD, labour and greens all have progressive credentials, even if none of them personify it.

but the tories do not. If anything, despite what they may claim, conservatism is at core the opposite of progressivism, right down to the origins of the words, the conservatives seek to conserve the status quo, relying on the wisdom of the past, whereas progressivism is about change and development.

11 minutes ago, maelzoid said:

I’d say LD, labour and greens all have progressive credentials, even if none of them personify it.

but the tories do not. If anything, despite what they may claim, conservatism is at core the opposite of progressivism, right down to the origins of the words, the conservatives seek to conserve the status quo, relying on the wisdom of the past, whereas progressivism is about change and development.

brexit wasn't exactly conserving the status quo. Steve Baker is mr progressive 2021.

4 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

brexit wasn't exactly conserving the status quo. Steve Baker is mr progressive 2021.

To them it was returning to the status quo of the last 300 years. The last 40 years was the exception