news & politics:discussion

zahidf

up early..stupid cold.

Seems like there's been fighting overnight in Kyiv but Russians have still not taken the city.

I don't know but feels like this could really backfire for Putin..he is being condemned everywhere and losing allies, and last night there were more protests in Moscow. The scary thing is what he does next.

Edited by steviewevie

Below is a list of protests against the war happening in the UK this weekend.

London

Downing Street, 12pm, 26th February

Nottingham

King Street, 12pm, 27th February

Birmingham

Victoria Square, 5pm, 27th February

High Street, 5pm, 28th February

Edinburgh

Russian Embassy, 12pm, 27th February

Belfast

City Hall, 6pm, 25th February

Manchester

Piccadilly Gardens, 2pm, 26th February

from https://www.dazeddigital.com/politics/article/55554/1/a-list-of-protests-against-the-war-in-ukraine-happening-this-weekend

4 hours ago, steviewevie said:

up early..stupid cold.

Seems like there's been fighting overnight in Kyiv but Russians have still not taken the city.

I don't know but feels like this could really backfire for Putin..he is being condemned everywhere and losing allies, and last night there were more protests in Moscow. The scary thing is what he does next.

They are putting up one hell of a fight.

3 hours ago, steviewevie said:

Below is a list of protests against the war happening in the UK this weekend.

London

Downing Street, 12pm, 26th February

Nottingham

King Street, 12pm, 27th February

Birmingham

Victoria Square, 5pm, 27th February

High Street, 5pm, 28th February

Edinburgh

Russian Embassy, 12pm, 27th February

Belfast

City Hall, 6pm, 25th February

Manchester

Piccadilly Gardens, 2pm, 26th February

from https://www.dazeddigital.com/politics/article/55554/1/a-list-of-protests-against-the-war-in-ukraine-happening-this-weekend

Tempted to go along to one of these,  although I have plans. Isn't there one at the embassy at 12 on Sunday too?

10 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Interesting read:

yeah, that is interesting...and it could play out like that, but obviously couid be very different too. One alternative is Russia invades Baltics and then WW3 starts leading to nuclear war and oblivion!

I was thinking that maybe Putin's plan is to invade in different parts of Ukraine so splitting Ukrainian forces, and then Russia will take most of the east so they have a land bridge between Crimea and Russia and then split Ukraine...but maybe they want to overthrow Ukrainian government too. There is still talk of peace talks, but has to be a ceasefire first. Ukrainians are definitely putting up a fight, and maybe there is a morale problem in Russian forces,  but I would have thought Russia would have been able to take Ukraine easily, aren't they supposed to be a military superpower?

9 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

yeah, that is interesting...and it could play out like that, but obviously couid be very different too. One alternative is Russia invades Baltics and then WW3 starts leading to nuclear war and oblivion!

I was thinking that maybe Putin's plan is to invade in different parts of Ukraine so splitting Ukrainian forces, and then Russia will take most of the east so they have a land bridge between Crimea and Russia and then split Ukraine...but maybe they want to overthrow Ukrainian government too. There is still talk of peace talks, but has to be a ceasefire first. Ukrainians are definitely putting up a fight, and maybe there is a morale problem in Russian forces,  but I would have thought Russia would have been able to take Ukraine easily, aren't they supposed to be a military superpower?

Yeah that's what I thought too. Seems like Russia isn't giving it its all yet but I'm not sure of the motivations. 

14 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

I've been reading a lot on the military forums because that's what I thought as well. People who know that stuff say that Russia is sending mainly obsolete and old machinery and that they're using mainly just young and barely trained soldiers.

For example that picture of a building in Kiev was hit by a ground to air missile and that kind of missile can only hit a building because somebody doesn't know how to use it

I read all of this several hours ago but it's only been 2 days so who knows what changed since then tho

Edited by Nicklord

1 hour ago, steviewevie said:

Looks like all EU countries now going to agree to block Russia from SWIFT.

All these tough economic sanctions are going to hurt european economies...but maybe we all have to feel some pain to counter threat from Russia.

Was listening to something last night and they were saying they would just join the Chinese version, if allowed, not sure what that would mean as in whether that would just allow payments as normal