Football 2020/2021

zahidf

13 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

Werner there becoming the latest Chelsea flop to score in a CL semi...

I'll take it! It's ironic because in both cases they couldn't miss but Chelsea fans would have still bet on them missing...

2 hours ago, jyoung said:

The nerves are starting to sink in now! @eastynhwho would you prefer in the final? Seen city fans on SSN saying they'd rather Madrid for the 'glamour'.

I am not bothered to be honest mate. Chelsea would probably be the tougher game. I am just happy to be in the final. 

1 hour ago, eastynh said:

I am not bothered to be honest mate. Chelsea would probably be the tougher game. I am just happy to be in the final. 

You and me both. See you there.

36 minutes ago, thetime said:

Fair play to Chelsea, totally outplayed madrid. 

Yep. Will need to be much more clinical against City though. That performance won't cut it, I don't think...

48 minutes ago, jyoung said:

You and me both. See you there.

Yep. Will need to be much more clinical against City though. That performance won't cut it, I don't think...

City to get revenge for the Full Members cup final defeat. If City play the team that played last night, I think we will have a bit too much for Chelsea. I know Chelsea beat us recently, but 7 of the team that played last night, did not play in the FA Cup game. Never had any issues with Chelsea or their fans, congratulations on making it through, should be an exciting end of season for you now.

Edited by eastynh

45 minutes ago, jyoung said:

20210505_225146.thumb.jpg.000dc79b2a694bbe5099e6483f57102c.jpg

Just a six year old Chelsea lad sending his team to a Champions League final.

Average footballer 💙

Didn't origi send his club to the champions league final a couple of years ago?

From my perspective it's disappointing as finals with 2 clubs from the same nation never excite me and generally are not good games.

7 hours ago, Hugh Jass said:

I know they won’t be able to, what with contracts being signed and all, but how much sense would it make to shift the final to England?

Villa Park with 10k fans for each side would work nicely.

Economically it would work better for Istanbul to have it next year.

That being said I hardly doubt they will bend over backwards for 2 of the dirty 12.

28 minutes ago, thetime said:

Economically it would work better for Istanbul to have it next year.

That being said I hardly doubt they will bend over backwards for 2 of the dirty 12.

I would personally be concerned of the precedent it would set. Let's not forget the main reason we have 2 premiership in the final is the money they spent and I don't think people in nations who can't compete financially should be locked out of attending.

1 minute ago, pink_triangle said:

I would personally be concerned of the precedent it would set. Let's not forget the main reason we have 2 premiership in the final is the money they spent and I don't think people in nations who can't compete financially should be locked out of attending.

I know some people have an involuntary tic whereby they shout money whenever City and Chelsea are mentioned but the fact is Real Madrid played Atletico in the final, Bayern played Dortmund in the final and Liverpool played Spurs in the final. The main reason you get to the final is not because of the money you spent, just ask United.

11 minutes ago, jyoung said:

The main reason you get to the final is not because of the money you spent, just ask United.

Is the biggest single factor, as you've said its no guarantee. Chelsea have spent best part of 500m in the last 3 seasons, I would of thought thats the biggest reason Chelsea are having success, spending it correct way as well.

Personally united are only improvong due to a better transfer policy. 

1 hour ago, jyoung said:

I know some people have an involuntary tic whereby they shout money whenever City and Chelsea are mentioned but the fact is Real Madrid played Atletico in the final, Bayern played Dortmund in the final and Liverpool played Spurs in the final. 

I stand by my view as a neutral having 2 teams from different countries is preferable

1 hour ago, jyoung said:

The main reason you get to the final is not because of the money you spent, just ask United.

Of course the main reason is money look at the leagues/teams that (nearly) always supply the finalist. Well run clubs from the vast majority of European countries are pretty much locked out following the group stage.

There are other factors, but money is by far the main one.

Very much agree money is a main factor in why we have the two teams in the final that we do.

With that aside, Chelsea looked fantastic last night, could have been a rout if they had a striker who could finish. They're clearly massively improving at exactly the right time. If they could get Aguero in the summer, which i think is a real possibility, they could be near the top next season.

49 minutes ago, thetime said:

They will be in for Haaland or Kane I would of thought.

If Giroud and Tammy both leave we have no out and out striker, so I think we'll be in for more than one. Picking up Aguero on a free could be shrewd business but I can't see us beating the biggest sides to Haaland. Also, no way Kane goes to Chelsea.

3 hours ago, Gromite said:

Very much agree money is a main factor in why we have the two teams in the final that we do.

Whoever spends the most money usually wins. Been that way for 20 odd years. Scouting is such a big and effective industry now.

City and Chelsea have spent the most in the last 2-3 years so they're in the final. PSG and Madrid spent less so got knocked out by teams who spent more. Liverpool won the league because they spent loads of money and were shit this year because they didn't. Utd are better because they've spent loads and abandoned the 2shit against the wall" policy. Inter ran away with Serie A because they spent the most etc.

All fairly boring.