When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

2 minutes ago, xxialac said:

They went up, then down.

We went up, then down, then up again (and still rising).

To the untrained eye, it looks like our measures were nowhere near tough enough.

Would people be more willing to follow stricter rules if their healthcare wasn't free at the point of use? Could the fact that the NHS is always just there fore you play a part in causing some complaint behaviours in individuals and in government? 

1 minute ago, RobertProsineckisLighter said:

Would people be more willing to follow stricter rules if their healthcare wasn't free at the point of use? Could the fact that the NHS is always just there fore you play a part in causing some complaint behaviours in individuals and in government? 

It's not gone that well in America

Just now, RobertProsineckisLighter said:

Hard to say that the US (appalling health system) has been more compliant...

13 minutes ago, RobertProsineckisLighter said:

I don't think it's that...I think a lot of people are just sick of restrictions when they feel like it only affects a small minority...and we have a tory government who's instinct is for state not to intervene in people's lives. 

Edited by steviewevie

2 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

Is there a real risk that NHS will be overwhelmed this time? I guess flu less of a problem this year because of all the social distancing and masks...?

Honestly? With the numbers we've been consistently seeing while in the height of winter, rising every day AND Christmas mixing? I think its guaranteed at some hospitals now in the next few weeks. Maybe days. 

We're watching the last days of the NHS. Got a feeling they won't struggle to get the doctors they need when they get paid private amounts. The government certainly won't be complaining at how this is going 

10 minutes ago, xxialac said:

South Africa have just announced measures to tackle it:

• total ban on alcohol sales
  • cancelling of events
  • mandatory wearing of masks in public

They banned alcohol in their first lockdown I seem to remember. Never quite sure what the logic behind it is as surely it just encourages dodgy home brewing.

Reports from the NHS looking really grim 😞

1 minute ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

They banned alcohol in their first lockdown I seem to remember. Never quite sure what the logic behind it is as surely it just encourages dodgy home brewing.

Reports from the NHS looking really grim 😞

I have a colleague in South Africa and she said the townships are obviously much more densely populated and drunkenness leads to less concern about the distance between people.  

7 minutes ago, gigpusher said:

I have a colleague in South Africa and she said the townships are obviously much more densely populated and drunkenness leads to less concern about the distance between people.  

Yeah but as I say surely leads to dangerous home brewed stuff? I guess less people would drink that though.

5 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

If they banned alcohol here then I really would have got upset.

More would die from withdrawal than the virus would kill. Definitely something we need to address as a nation, and I do think alcohol based lifestyles are the main reason for both spread and health outcomes but now is definitely not the time! 

36 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

It’s because they get away with pumping out their various BS propaganda all year round. Unfortunately for them, with COVID-19, it’s basically a mathematical formula, so it’s harder to deny the reality over a long enough period of time.

23 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Yeah but as I say surely leads to dangerous home brewed stuff? I guess less people would drink that though.

Still the hope is probably less people mixing together and home brews take a while to make don't they. Let's be honest a lot of lockdown measures make a lot of people do the wrong thing. I know a lot of people over here think mixing in pubs would probably be safer than people having mates around to their houses but I suppose most countries just hope it puts enough people off to not overwhelm the health service.