When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

10 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

Usually we get a sneaky idea before it’s announced ... not keen on leisure idea personally ... I’m guessing that will mean gyms .... @SDSM you asked last night why you are banned ... I think you can probably tell me why ? 

do you reckon gyms will be included as Ive just gotten into swimming and really enjoing the outdoor pool ?

21 hours ago, Ryan1984 said:

Toby claiming Boris’s bout of coronavirus has damaged his brain is quite something.

Did you see the article today saying that Boris has been complaining he doesn’t have enough money? He has too many financial commitments apparently, yes his own kids. 

1 hour ago, MEGABOWL said:

Closing Pubs and Restaurants makes little sense. First, it will just mean more people breaking the rules at home. Second....

Restaurants and pubs kinda closed in Dublin last night, take away only, or max 15 outdoor dining. Exactly the same pushback occurred when looking at the clusters, but our national public health emergency team explained how clusters are classified...basically, if someone picks it up in a pub or a restaurant, goes home and infects others in the household, it’s classified as a household cluster even though the source of the original infection was a pub/restaurant...they said they’d like to work backwards, but don’t have the time and are more focussed on tracing contacts forwards to contain the cluster...cdc interviewed positive cases in the US, and individuals testing positive were twice as likely to have dined out recently than those testing negative. Other studies have also shown indoor dining and drinking as high risk...so, the data above doesn’t tell the full story, just reflects how clusters are being classified.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Toilet Duck said:

Restaurants and pubs kinda closed in Dublin last night, take away only, or max 15 outdoor dining. Exactly the same pushback occurred when looking at the clusters, but our national public health emergency team explained how clusters are classified...basically, if someone picks it up in a pub or a restaurant, goes home and infects others in the household, it’s classified as a household cluster even though the source of the original infection was a pub/restaurant...they said they’d like to work backwards, but don’t have the time and are more focussed on tracing contacts forwards to contain the cluster...cdc interviewed positive cases in the US, and individuals testing positive were twice as likely to have dined out recently than those testing negative. Other studies have also shown indoor dining and drinking as high risk...so, the data above doesn’t tell the full story, just reflects how clusters are being classified.

New York hasn't had a second wave yet and they've only just reopened indoor dining. Of course, there are lots of variables at play, but this may be significant.

2 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

New York hasn't had a second wave yet and they've only just reopened indoor dining. Of course, there are lots of variables at play, but this may be significant.

Yeah, NYC vs Madrid has been one of the major comparisons as they had similar first waves. Madrid went back to fairly packed bars and clubs over the summer and has been hammered again. Probably too simple a conclusion to draw, but you’d think having more potential super spreading events has to have some impact...

9 minutes ago, Toilet Duck said:

have they said how long they will be closed for?

Just now, Toilet Duck said:

Yeah, NYC vs Madrid has been one of the major comparisons as they had similar first waves. Madrid went back to fairly packed bars and clubs over the summer and has been hammered again. Probably too simple a conclusion to draw, but you’d think having more potential super spreading events has to have some impact...

Yeah, I was basing my post on that very comparison as outlined in this Twitter thread:

I think this is a repost, but it's highly relevant, so posting again.

• Upvote 1

47 minutes ago, Mr.Tease said:

Same here up in Cumbria- shops and transport mask wear-age is at 95% and has been for weeks

I'm still stunned that our numbers are so low considering the regions where a lot of our tourists come from

I probably have to ask maybe a quarter to a third of people to wear masks when I'm checking then in. And I've had no arguements when I ask

Saying that I do see a few pulling up their t-shirts or worse, converting their mouth with their hand

Edited by philipsteak

2 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

have they said how long they will be closed for?

3 weeks and we take it from there! Either go to level 4 if that doesn’t work, stay at level 3, or go back to level 2...universities really start back in the next couple of weeks, so what that does to the numbers is the next big thing (all the universities in Dublin have agreed to operate at level 4 (second highest level of restrictions)...

4 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Yeah, I was basing my post on that very comparison as outlined in this Twitter thread:

I think this is a repost, but it's highly relevant, so posting again.

It certainly looks striking alright. At the risk of being boring, I really think there’s no chance of operating indoor dining, drinking, gigs etc without prior testing, or they just end up fuelling a resurgence eventually...

48 minutes ago, FestivalJamie said:

Why are people, including myself, being randomly downvoted by @Sdsm123?

He’s doing it to me again now mate.

41 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

not confirmed until announced officially...(but could well be happening).

Would they have to U turn on the Furlough scheme if they did this?

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

1 minute ago, steviewevie said:

good question...if was a 2 week circuit break thing maybe just throw a one off payment at it...if any longer surely they'd have to.

Possibly, it would technically not be a U turn so they could do it that way. I can’t see how they don’t extend furlough going into the winter, it seems like we will need to shut some things down and those areas would need support. 

1 minute ago, Ozanne said:

Possibly, it would technically not be a U turn so they could do it that way. I can’t see how they don’t extend furlough going into the winter, it seems like we will need to shut some things down and those areas would need support. 

yeah...could well end up being part of a civil war in the tory party that's starting to break out.

30 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

Likewise I’ve been back swimming for a week ... the articles say leisure ... so we will have to see ... that’s an assumption I made 

dammit, I still didnt feel safe going inside so outdoor swimming has been brilliant , especially for my back

54 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

Usually we get a sneaky idea before it’s announced ... not keen on leisure idea personally ... I’m guessing that will mean gyms .... @SDSM you asked last night why you are banned ... I think you can probably tell me why ? 

Where was this leisure thing suggested?

To add a more positive spin, my partner and I made a rare trip out of London today and found mask compliance generally really good on both tube and train out to Kent. Odd one or two without but most were complying. I'd give it 80-90%. So I actually felt reassured.