LAWKS! It’s the Next Announcement Thread 2021

jparx

45 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Why? In 2013 nothing was announced until March.

Dunno, I think something big happened recently that made people question if the festival was going to be cancelled. Can't be sure though.

The non facetious answer is that 2013 had a ticket sale in October 2012 so no question about it not taking place.

All we've had officially for 2021 is moving the refund deadline to January. So if we don't hear anything by end of January I'd start to worry.

Edited by Leyrulion

8 minutes ago, Leyrulion said:

Dunno, I think something big happened recently that made people question if the festival was going to be cancelled. Can't be sure though.

The non facetious answer is that 2013 had a ticket sale in October 2012 so no question about it not taking place.

All we've had officially for 2021 is moving the refund deadline to January. So if we don't hear anything by end of January I'd start to worry.

My point was it’s only in the last 5 or so years glasto have announced anything before the main lineup drop. Which usually happens around balance payment anyway.

50 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

My point was it’s only in the last 5 or so years glasto have announced anything before the main lineup drop. Which usually happens around balance payment anyway.

Oh I agree there, I don't think there will be any lineup announcement before the main drop in April.

But you've probably got to go back to 2002 (?) when there was a doubt about whether the festival would happen. If there's still radio silence going into the end of January then do we start to worry? 

At some point they have to say that it's happening to let people plan their time off.

I'm not too concerned unless we get to after the refund deadline and we haven't heard anything

1 hour ago, Matt42 said:

2013 was the only year since 2004 where there weren't major (sorry Rokia Traore) names announced before the main poster/before March so that's more of an outlier you're referring to. It is fair to say that an act being announce in the next couple of months is an expectation.

I think we'll get someone this side of Christmas, personally.

When I was a young boy, there was a game coming out that i was really excited for: Super Smash Bros Brawl. Leading up to its release, almost every day they'd have a little announcement. Sometimes it would be a new stage or new character, other times it was a new feature or just something minor. It was pretty fun waking up and checking it before I went to school 😊

Anyway, I wish festivals did something like that. Would be nice to have something new to look forward to each day...

Just now, Gilgamesh69 said:

When I was a young boy, there was a game coming out that i was really excited for: Super Smash Bros Brawl. Leading up to its release, almost every day they'd have a little announcement. Sometimes it would be a new stage or new character, other times it was a new feature or just something minor. It was pretty fun waking up and checking it before I went to school 😊

Anyway, I wish festivals did something like that. Would be nice to have something new to look forward to each day...

Glastonbury have done some really great creative announcements over the years ... more of the same please ... I’d love to create some ... 

6 minutes ago, Gilgamesh69 said:

Most years I take my son to an airshow in Gloucestershire. It’s probably the biggest and best in the world, and the flying attractions come from all over the world. From January onwards, they announce a couple of the displays each Thursday. The aviation geeks get really excited as Thursday approaches, although that can lead to disappointment if something’s announced that was obviously going to be there (Red Arrows etc) or if it’s a display that had already self-confirmed, as many do. But it’s a good system that keeps the interest up. I wish GF could do something similar 

1 hour ago, Gilgamesh69 said:

Things along those lines have been done.

The most direct example I can think of is that two or three years ago, Shambala announced most of their acts individually - it was spread out something like 3 times a week (Mon, Wed, Fri evenings I think) over several months.

Personally I didn't think it worked very well - it's fine for the hardcore fans who are on every little bit of information that comes out, but it got almost no attention whatsoever beyond the people already paying attention to their social media. And for me at least, it was more a case of seeing a name, not knowing it, and instantly forgetting rather than on a proper lineup drop I'm more inclined to dedicate time to exploring some of the acts I've not heard of.

Boomtown tried a less piecemeal version by doing an area every week for however long it took which worked a bit better, and Glastonbury already do similar to that with the various areas albeit on a less defined schedule.

1 hour ago, henry bear said:

Most years I take my son to an airshow in Gloucestershire. It’s probably the biggest and best in the world, and the flying attractions come from all over the world. From January onwards, they announce a couple of the displays each Thursday. The aviation geeks get really excited as Thursday approaches, although that can lead to disappointment if something’s announced that was obviously going to be there (Red Arrows etc) or if it’s a display that had already self-confirmed, as many do. But it’s a good system that keeps the interest up. I wish GF could do something similar 

What we talking here, acrobatic-type or fighter jet-type, or both? Been going to RAF Cosford all my life but want to venture. Mach Loop is high on the list.

4 minutes ago, Stokesy10 said:

What we talking here, acrobatic-type or fighter jet-type, or both? Been going to RAF Cosford all my life but want to venture. Mach Loop is high on the list.

It's RIAT, which is obviously predominantly military - lots of fast jets, but usually a good mix of all sorts. I've only been to Cosford airshow once, and really enjoyed it - helped of course by the amazing museum. You ought to try it if you haven't been, a great day out. The Mach Loop is great too, I've been a number of times, but it can be hit and miss - you can climb most of the way up Cader Idris only to spend a number of hours watching bugger all apart from ravens and buzzards. Get there early though to get a parking space!

1 minute ago, henry bear said:

It's RIAT, which is obviously predominantly military - lots of fast jets, but usually a good mix of all sorts. I've only been to Cosford airshow once, and really enjoyed it - helped of course by the amazing museum. You ought to try it if you haven't been, a great day out. The Mach Loop is great too, I've been a number of times, but it can be hit and miss - you can climb most of the way up Cader Idris only to spend a number of hours watching bugger all apart from ravens and buzzards. Get there early though to get a parking space!

I may pm you soon for some advice/chit chat about Mach Loop and this Gloucester venue next year if you don't mind my good man?

Yeh Cosford is just great. Got an 18 month lad now and I'm so excited for him to have the days out there which I grew up on. Just gutted he'll never see the Vulcan.

3 minutes ago, Stokesy10 said:

I may pm you soon for some advice/chit chat about Mach Loop and this Gloucester venue next year if you don't mind my good man?

Yeh Cosford is just great. Got an 18 month lad now and I'm so excited for him to have the days out there which I grew up on. Just gutted he'll never see the Vulcan.

That's fine, happy to give any advice I can 👍

And yes, shame he'll miss the Vulcan, but at RIAT there's often a B1, B2 or B52 (or sometimes more than one) along with loads of other heavy stuff, plenty of which you can go in on the show days.

Edited by henry bear

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Routing about in the old eFestivals news pages for a Thingy On This Day, I found the below article from 1st Feb 2008 when it was the launch of Love The Farm, Leave No Trace. Included in the info was a bit about potato tent pegs. 

It was a couple of years before I went but I believe they were hopeless. Did anyone manage to use them properly?

https://www.efestivals.co.uk/news/08/080201g.shtml

3 hours ago, Gnomicide said:

Routing about in the old eFestivals news pages for a Thingy On This Day, I found the below article from 1st Feb 2008 when it was the launch of Love The Farm, Leave No Trace. Included in the info was a bit about potato tent pegs. 

It was a couple of years before I went but I believe they were hopeless. Did anyone manage to use them properly?

Yeah they were terrible. To be honest I had it in my head that they were earlier than that (would have guessed about 2005) but basically the year they tried them the ground was harder than usual and pretty much everyone who tried using the potato pegs found that they cracked before the ground did.

4 hours ago, Gnomicide said:

They were actually dangerous the year that they gave them out.  The ground was rock hard and they were quite chunky so you needed to give a good wallop to get them in.  After smashing four of them using a lump of wood to get them in we gave up.  So glad we took our own as a backup!!