Volunteering 2020

DJL

12 hours ago, waltere said:

I know at least seven of the people in this photo, Aiden included, from Shelter volunteering over the last few years!

You can tell by the photo that we all enjoyed working at that particular bar.That was the Last night and Drink the bar dry Night.  Most people However had a few drinks and moved on to the Nightlife outside. 

44 minutes ago, Beerqueen said:

I got in!  So now have the choice of bar work with Shelter or toilet work with the Poo Crew!  Would be happy to do either but need to double check shifts, dates, etc before deciding!  And it means I don't have to do the video for Oxfam campaigning which I've been putting off!

Do the bar work! We might end up in the same bar/shifts - it'll be a blast!

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Beerqueen said:

I got in!  So now have the choice of bar work with Shelter or toilet work with the Poo Crew!  Would be happy to do either but need to double check shifts, dates, etc before deciding!  And it means I don't have to do the video for Oxfam campaigning which I've been putting off!

Woop!  The dream of getting you up high for a proper live set lives on :D

1 hour ago, Amy12312 said:

Hi all,

New to this - first time volunteering with Shelter but confirmed for Glastonbury 2020... Does anyone have any ideas when we will hear about training etc? Any tips from people who have previously volunteered would be much appreciated :)

Congratulations and welcome to eFestivals! There is a post from last year that you will find helpful, here's a link - https://www.efestivals.co.uk/forums/topic/228492-shelter-glastonbury/  :)

I worked with Shelter on Stonebridge bar last year after missing out on tickets.

Spent the Monday night in Bristol at the Ibis next to the pick up point and made friends with other people staying the night ahead of the trip down, we then spent a lot of the festival together and still in contact now. :)

Was a different experience as first time volunteering and as long as you accept you will miss some of the big name acts its fine, you'll find a lot of people are in the same boat, in ones or twos and mostly doing it because they couldn't get normal tickets.

If i wasn't with my new found friends, working or meeting up with friends on punters tickets i was asleep!

Got a normal ticket this year, but would have happily done shelter bar again.

FYI - it took about 6 weeks for me to get my £300 deposit back.

A little tip is if you are showering - going at night/early morning is a good shout as never any queues....I tended to go when I got back from my shift or a night out. ;)

15 minutes ago, gooner1990 said:

I worked with Shelter on Stonebridge bar last year after missing out on tickets.

Spent the Monday night in Bristol at the Ibis next to the pick up point and made friends with other people staying the night ahead of the trip down, we then spent a lot of the festival together and still in contact now. :)

Was a different experience as first time volunteering and as long as you accept you will miss some of the big name acts its fine, you'll find a lot of people are in the same boat, in ones or twos and mostly doing it because they couldn't get normal tickets.

If i wasn't with my new found friends, working or meeting up with friends on punters tickets i was asleep!

Got a normal ticket this year, but would have happily done shelter bar again.

FYI - it took about 6 weeks for me to get my £300 deposit back.

A little tip is if you are showering - going at night/early morning is a good shout as never any queues....I tended to go when I got back from my shift or a night out. ;)

Thank you! That's super helpful! :) 

Is it compulsory to travel down on the coach or is it an option to make you're own way there?

2 minutes ago, Amy12312 said:

Is it compulsory to travel down on the coach or is it an option to make you're own way there?

All volunteers must travel to and from the event on the coaches provided by Avalon Bars.

• Avalon Bars coaches will be departing to Glastonbury during the day on Tuesday 23rd June 2020 from various departure points around the country including Bristol, London and either Sheffield or Birmingham (tbc at a later date).
  • The Avalon Bars coaches will be booked to travel back from the festival site on Monday 29th June 2020. Please be aware that it can take a very long time to get off site due to the public exiting the campsites and the heavy traffic around the festival site and surrounding area. Traffic conditions are out of our control and we cannot guarantee you will be able to leave site or arrive at the coach destination point for a specific time.

https://england.shelter.org.uk/support_us/events/volunteer_at_glastonbury/volunteer_guidelines

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Amy12312 said:

It's compulsory that you go down on the coach they won't let you volunteer unless you do so.

There's virtually no  traffic as you go on site on the Tuesday afternoon and coming back on the Monday the coach comes to the campsite to collect you and there was a little bit of traffic but not much, I got a coach at around 10am and was home in Oxford by 2pm as I got a train back from Bristol.

18 minutes ago, Amy12312 said:

As others have said It is compulsory. Thats not such a bad thing as we made friend with people queuing up and on the coach going down. The absolute thrill of getting near the site when you start to recognise place names.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, gooner1990 said:

It's compulsory that you go down on the coach they won't let you volunteer unless you do so.

There's virtually no  traffic as you go on site on the Tuesday afternoon and coming back on the Monday the coach comes to the campsite to collect you and there was a little bit of traffic but not much, I got a coach at around 10am and was home in Oxford by 2pm as I got a train back from Bristol.

Thank you - I thought that would be the case! 

I guess it's just a waiting game to find out when the training will be held :) 

16 minutes ago, Amy12312 said:

Thank you - I thought that would be the case! 

I guess it's just a waiting game to find out when the training will be held :) 

All training last year was held in London, and you had to go there no matter where in the country you lived.

Some were held at at Shelter offices, some were held in Brixton.

4 minutes ago, gooner1990 said:

All training last year was held in London, and you had to go there no matter where in the country you lived.

When registering it asked me my preferred location between London and Manchester, so fingers crossed for Manchester but hey ho, will attend any! :) - Did it take them long to get back in touch with further information? I feel there's loads I want to ask them but also don't want to be too eager/annoying! 

5 minutes ago, Amy12312 said:

When registering it asked me my preferred location between London and Manchester, so fingers crossed for Manchester but hey ho, will attend any! :) - Did it take them long to get back in touch with further information? I feel there's loads I want to ask them but also don't want to be too eager/annoying! 

Give yourself 15 minutes to read through some of the other threads and get a feel for the sort of nonsense that gets posted.

You'll realise that you're probably pretty safe when it comes to being annoying :D

Edited by Quark
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, gooner1990 said:

Last year there were definitely some in Sheffield as well

19 minutes ago, waltere said:

Last year there were definitely some in Sheffield as well

oh that was it, sorry - there was no training in the south west which was crap as.

1. the festival is held in the south west

2. collection points are in Bristol for the festival.

3. carbon foot print for people in cornwall, devon, south west generally wasn't great either!

31 minutes ago, Amy12312 said:

first big email was 24th April 2019 then the final info was sent out 17th June 2019.

3 hours ago, Funkyfairy! said:

Did you also apply for Shelter (or from memory was Mr Charm not keen?) , what eggs is baskets have you still got ? (apart from Greencrafts and resale)

Hey lovely, didn't apply for Shelter as I’m not a massive fan of bar work. I will be applying for Festaff even though I will be doing this alone, so just that, green crafts and resale. Mr Charm reckons we will be able to go over the fence but I keep telling him this is not the 90’s. 
Charm x

1 minute ago, Charm said:

Hey lovely, didn't apply for Shelter as I’m not a massive fan of bar work. I will be applying for Festaff even though I will be doing this alone, so just that, green crafts and resale. Mr Charm reckons we will be able to go over the fence but I keep telling him this is not the 90’s. 
Charm x

Keep the faith Charm :)

• Upvote 1