Volunteering 2020

DJL

4 hours ago, glasto-worker said:

If I get down to the bar in the acoustic area  I will find out what their current policy is - that Tent Manager I have knowing 30+ years - I have some cracking shots of him ' when he still had hair ' !!!

Yes I think I have a photo of the said person as our first time with Shelter was with the Acoustic Bar.  A Great Bar and a fantastic team,

4 hours ago, glasto-worker said:

If I get down to the bar in the acoustic area  I will find out what their current policy is - that Tent Manager I have knowing 30+ years - I have some cracking shots of him ' when he still had hair ' !!!

That'll be Aiden right? Such a cool bloke. Such a cool bar.

I was placed in Cockmills the second time I volunteered (2014). Another shout out for Lenny The Lion Of Shelter I reckon. I'd had a lot of back and forth emails about my health at the time with him (Loooooong story). I don't know for sure, but I like to think I was accommodated by him/Shelter/Avalon by being placed in the nearest bar to camp. (May have just been luck of the draw mind).

I seem to recall you asking me to pass on your regards to Aiden at the time (I think we were texting). Never hurts to have friends of friends.

Good luck tomorrow everybody. Hope you go on to meet and make friends of friends also.

Edited by MrZigster

7 minutes ago, MrZigster said:

I was placed in Cockmills the second time I volunteered (2014). Another shout out for Lenny The Lion Of Shelter I reckon. I'd had a lot of back and forth emails about my health at the time with him (Loooooong story). I don't know for sure, but I like to think I was accommodated by him/Shelter/Avalon by being placed in the nearest bar to camp. (May have just been luck of the draw mind).

I seem to recall you asking me to pass on your regards to Aiden at the time (I think we were texting). Never hurts to have friends of friends.

Good luck tomorrow everybody. Hope you go on to meet and make friends of friends also.

The person in the dodgy denim jacket is Aiden A nice chap. I am hiding at the back.

Avalon.jpg

On 2/19/2020 at 8:26 PM, Old_Johno said:

Is there a dedicated cash person then? Seems inefficient? 

' it is and its not '

Avalon had them in the Bars I was drinking in so likely that was repeated round their bars 

Edited by glasto-worker

That was taken in Cockmills right?

When I lost my camera one year and I went to lost property on the off chance, I was asked to describe the photos.

"I remember a tent, green, blue and red, there's a lot of photos in a green (possibly blue) and yellow and red tent", I may have said.

I should have just said "photos taken in Cockmills".

Right now I'm amazed just how fast you found and posted that photo

35 minutes ago, MrZigster said:

24 minutes ago, marathonsteve said:

The person in the dodgy denim jacket is Aiden A nice chap. I am hiding at the back.

Avalon.jpg

Yes that is Aiden Grimes - never let him sing ' as he never stops '

here he is in the background at June's wake { June used to run the Avalon crew bar but sadly died last year }

I was over on a WBC trip to Kells last year { its connected to Jim Connell (27 March 1852 – February 1929) who wrote the Red Flag } and I met ' another two people called Grimes ' - if I am on the trip again in April I will take  Aiden's photo as they could in fact be related.

when the WBC ran that bar in the acoustic area funny enough it was called the Red Flag which was the main real ale bar at Glastonbury.

2912_o.thumb.jpg.7882564e9c03205fdf85ddb1529f9913.jpg

well I wish everyone luck - have never worked for Avalon/Shelter but I know the people who set Avalon up - Now there is no way would I still be a volunteer 32 years later if it was a crap deal and I know  Avalon/Shelter facilities are as good as the WBC although it will be pot luck which shift you end up on - it has not entered my head since 1987 to buy a ticket and I am not even sure I would ever go back to being a ticket holder.

Everyone should read the terms and conditions {do a search they are easy to find} before they splash out money - its all common sense conditions but its best to know in advance. 

1 minute ago, glasto-worker said:

well I wish everyone luck - have never worked for Avalon/Shelter but I know the people who set Avalon up - Now there is no way would I still be a volunteer 32 years later if it was a crap deal and I know  Avalon/Shelter facilities are as good as the WBC although it will be pot luck which shift you end up on - it has not entered my head since 1987 to buy a ticket and I am not even sure I would ever go back to being a ticket holder.

Everyone should read the terms and conditions {do a search they are easy to find} before they splash out money - its all common sense conditions but its best to know in advance. 

good advice as ever Glasto worker .... many signed up for the oxfam campaigners roles and didnt quite know what was expected :) 

16 hours ago, MrZigster said:

Ooh you lucky git. Was it full on busy?

Always been Jeannie doing the training when I've gone.

Pretty certain it was said (and is always said) when they powerpoint up the bar map, "...but you won't be working there...", in regards to the Guest Bar. Kind of always presumed it';s a coveted spot and is reserved for the favoured or those they know for sure who won't mess up/are super reliable..

Sure I heard somewhere that its white shirt black tie if you do work there (@maarrkk?).

I've always thought, "Hey. I can pack that. Gissa job".

Sorry, bit slow on the replies :)

Yes for the 2013 year we were told to pack white shirts and black trousers for guest bar, remember popping out in my white shirt to watch a bit of Chic in my break and some people in the crowd saying we looked like we were in the band cos they were all in white on stage haha definitely the smartest clothes I ever wore at Glastonbury!

• Upvote 1

I got my shelter place on Tuesday, had two friends trying today, one got in and one didn't. As they're a couple, this is somewhat tricky! Anyone know if Shelter release any late places after the cancellation period? Is it worth emailing them for some kind of "first reserve" list?

4 minutes ago, LadyP said:

I got my shelter place on Tuesday, had two friends trying today, one got in and one didn't. As they're a couple, this is somewhat tricky! Anyone know if Shelter release any late places after the cancellation period? Is it worth emailing them for some kind of "first reserve" list?

Yes - but the friend that didn't would be contacted after the cancellation date of the friend that did!

Tricky.