Jump to content
StevoLancs

Later night and dancing

Recommended Posts

Looking forward to my first End of the Road ever. Just been to Green Man and there was plenty of good stuff going on, on the Friday and Saturday until the late hours, i.e. 2:00 to 4:00 am. What happens at End of the Road?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The nighttime vibe is definitely different at end of the road, though I’ve never felt like it was lacking! I just did my first green man and it was fun having the bands stretch into the night, and chai wallahs was pretty excellent... at end of the road there are “secret” sets in the tipi (not announced in advance, sometimes unusual things like Ezra Furman doing an all covers set, sometimes it’s bands that were on other stages doing another set), then there’s the “disco ship” in the woods — I honestly don’t think there’s anywhere better to dance than the woods after hours, people wandering around gathering in groups around the piano stage, around the fire or at the cider bus. There’s also a silent disco.. I never intend to end up there but it’s been known... cheesy but great, let’s call that and the karaoke the “ironic fun” 🙃 

i find the nighttime end of the road vibe more .. magic.. like an out of time party ... lots of chance meetings and new friends, plenty of dancing. The woods are unbeatable. BUT.. definitely less “scheduled” fun than green man. I think things officially wind up about 3 but I’ve had nights we’ve stayed out in the trees until four or five. Lots of potential for the evening to take you late, if that’s your thing. 

Getting so excited just writing about it ..! 

 

 

  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

EOTR has live sets til 1:30 usually, the forest disco, silent disco and cider bus go on til 2:30ish...

It's absolutely not a 24 hour festival - lots of people appreciate their 3am to 9am quiet time - but there is still plenty to keep you going until 3ish.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They've got late night electronica in the Big Top on Friday and Saturday this year, which is a new thing. Hoping that takes a bit of pressure off the Tipi.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, StevoLancs said:

Looking forward to my first End of the Road ever. Just been to Green Man and there was plenty of good stuff going on, on the Friday and Saturday until the late hours, i.e. 2:00 to 4:00 am. What happens at End of the Road?

There's more going on at End of the Road than Green Man, which seemed to wind down around 1:30 with only djs playing and a few comedians talking. 

End of the Road has secret sets in the Tipi, weirdos dancing to disco music on headphones and electric acts in the Big Top and the woods are cool to walk through late at night. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Don't forget home made victoria sponge and hot chocolate at the tea bus, though I still deplore the change from china to paper cups a couple of years back.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Where is the silent disco?  Is there usually much of a queue for the headphones?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, snipe said:

Where is the silent disco?  Is there usually much of a queue for the headphones?  

Garden stage. Never a queue no its not that busy.

Haven't been the disco in the woods is it any good? Busy?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, The Nal said:

Garden stage. Never a queue no its not that busy.

Haven't been the disco in the woods is it any good? Busy?

It's really hit and miss, depending on how eclectic your musical taste is, I guess. The light up dance floor is always rammed, so no room to really dance and I've always felt a bit self-conscious to "throw shapes" outside of there. But it's nice to sit around and chat with a few beers and some decent tunes playing.

Last year I really enjoyed the extended Cider Bus disco. Seemed to play more "crowd pleasers".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, shoebox said:

It's really hit and miss, depending on how eclectic your musical taste is, I guess. The light up dance floor is always rammed, so no room to really dance and I've always felt a bit self-conscious to "throw shapes" outside of there. But it's nice to sit around and chat with a few beers and some decent tunes playing.

Last year I really enjoyed the extended Cider Bus disco. Seemed to play more "crowd pleasers".

Yeah liked that myself. What sort of tunes do they play in the disco?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, The Nal said:

Yeah liked that myself. What sort of tunes do they play in the disco?

Really depends who's DJ'ing. I've heard everything from your big indie classics, to oldies, to RnB, to pop bangers. It's where they tend to stick the guest DJs. So you'll probably get some folks from Loud & Quiet, and some from The Line Of Best Fit, maybe even one of the acts that's performed that day (Jarvis and Richard Hawley would do it back in the day, Jens Lekman has done it, think Bat For Lashes too). It's pretty random and can be great.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, shoebox said:

Really depends who's DJ'ing. I've heard everything from your big indie classics, to oldies, to RnB, to pop bangers. It's where they tend to stick the guest DJs. So you'll probably get some folks from Loud & Quiet, and some from The Line Of Best Fit, maybe even one of the acts that's performed that day (Jarvis and Richard Hawley would do it back in the day, Jens Lekman has done it, think Bat For Lashes too). It's pretty random and can be great.

Cool. So its not just endless dance music. Thats good.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

SILENT DISCO IS THE BEST!!!!!!!!!  The forest Disco Ship can be the best fun ever, can also just be boring - you need to find the right time to be there.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Spent a late night dancing to a great playlist at the Beavertown Brewery bar last year. Prob til 3am. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Honestly Stevo, the woods at night are proper magic. The disco, the secret paths, karaoke showers, impromptu jams, the giant Jenga, the madness....we always go upriver until dawn!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, SighMo said:

Spent a late night dancing to a great playlist at the Beavertown Brewery bar last year. Prob til 3am. 

Yeah! I'd almost forgotten about that, but had at least one cracking night down there, back in the day before it was Beavertown and was (during the day) our secret bar that hardly anyone seemed to know about.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi folks! First-timer here, so excuse the beginner question. Is it easy enough to get a drink late on? When do the bars shut?

(Planning my packing and wondering if I should bother bringing any decanted booze or not.)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, johnmcga said:

Hi folks! First-timer here, so excuse the beginner question. Is it easy enough to get a drink late on? When do the bars shut?

(Planning my packing and wondering if I should bother bringing any decanted booze or not.)

Very easy yeah bars stay open quite late. Beavertown till 3am ish I think, Cider Bus until similar. Ill just bring a bit of wine to decant into a bottle if I need a nip at a gig. 

Abundance is everywhere though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote

Very easy yeah bars stay open quite late. Beavertown till 3am ish I think, Cider Bus until similar. Ill just bring a bit of wine to decant into a bottle if I need a nip at a gig. 

Great, thanks! Love it, super-excited for the weekend!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, johnmcga said:

Great, thanks! Love it, super-excited for the weekend!

The can and cocktails bar by the woodland disco us another late runner, as is the Tipi bar (for the late secret sets) and the bar in the adjacent seating tent

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...