BLACKPINK

Matt42

1 hour ago, Suprefan said:

They already would have had an actual Worldwide one 2 months prior. Which has more impact. And K Pop artist management isnt likely going to be too agreeable to a broadcast thats so geo restrictive. They want everyone to be able to watch their artists perform if its such a significant moment. 

lol.  I cannot speak on behalf of other nations but Coachella gets next to no media coverage or public attention in the UK

Maybe just wishful thinking, but I know K-pop fans do get really hyped about their acts accomplishing big things outside of the k-pop world. In the build-up to Primavera last year you could have convinced me Dreamcatcher were headlining every night with how their fans were hyping up their appearance being such a big deal. BLACKPINK being the first K-Pop act to play the biggest music festival in Europe is exactly the kind of PR thing those act's reps and their fans love.

3 hours ago, Suprefan said:

They already would have had an actual Worldwide one 2 months prior. Which has more impact. And K Pop artist management isnt likely going to be too agreeable to a broadcast thats so geo restrictive. They want everyone to be able to watch their artists perform if its such a significant moment. 

Although bands that really want actual world domination are prepared to take smaller slots in places where they don't currently dominate to achieve that especially ones that will be broadcast to that country as well so providing them with a reach beyond the people in front watching them. 

23 hours ago, Drinky said:

The BBC do a good job of making sure the sets get around. In the US I remember watching a Glastonbury weekend on MTV2 with a ton of sets a few months after the 2016 festival… also a lot of Glastonbury content gets licensed to Qello, a streaming service for live shows that costs $10, and then sub-licensed on (I watched Billie’s other stage set on Peacock a few weeks back with Qello branding).

Unfortunately this is all usually months after the fact. I think Beyoncé organized her own deal to have her set live on BET in the US at the time?

I've got the Qello channel on my samsung tele (no subscription). The other day they were playing Janet Jackson's 2019 glastonbury set, which was quite the surprise given it wasn't put on the iplayer as an independent viewing option in the wake of that festival.

1 hour ago, Gnomicide said:

Another 30 minutes to learn the dance moves.

Yes, as far as I can glean, Kpop bands put out much more 'other' content than they do actual songs - plus they don't release albums in the same way - they release videos etc then parcel them up into albums. It is all very confusing but actually fascinating for an old gimmer like me.

Edited by giantkatestacks