BLACKPINK

Matt42

1 hour ago, Matt42 said:

Think they are highly likely now - their New Zealand show on the 21st June was cancelled due to logistical challenges.

They now have a gap between the 17th June (in Aus) to the 2nd July. Their 2nd July show is the one at Hyde Park.

Isn't the gap too big? Presuming they are K-based, it's either a flight here and back twice or hanging around in the UK for at least 8 days.

2 minutes ago, Gnomicide said:

Isn't the gap too big? Presuming they are K-based, it's either a flight here and back twice or hanging around in the UK for at least 8 days.

They could easily spend a few days in Australia and fly straight to the UK. 3 or so recovery days and then a glasto show. Highly doubt they are flying back to SK after every show.

(and I actually think most of them are US based now).

12 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

They could easily spend a few days in Australia and fly straight to the UK. 3 or so recovery days and then a glasto show. Highly doubt they are flying back to SK after every show.

(and I actually think most of them are US based now).

I'm thinking more the gap between Glastonbury and BST.

11 minutes ago, Justcalledtosay said:

a week?

Yes. Act, band, crew, it's not cheap to hang around in the UK for a week. Now if there was another date between the two it would be much more likely. When do you ever see tour dates with a week between gigs in a country othere than the artist's own?

I'm not saying it's impossible, they could have a load of promotional work lined up (sounds like they may need it to shift the last BST tickets) but I think it's too big a gap. 

It's a similar thing with acts like Tenacious D who finish their tour a week before the festival, feels like they need another date adding in to make them a realistic rumour.

7 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Even before the GSH wasn't there a rumour - or rumours - placing them in the mix anyway.

Not on here I don’t think. People were adamant that they were too big for anything other than a headline slot so it was seen as unlikely they were in the mix.  Not sure why that’s changed now. 

27 minutes ago, stuie said:

Not on here I don’t think. People were adamant that they were too big for anything other than a headline slot so it was seen as unlikely they were in the mix.  Not sure why that’s changed now. 

Because their dates make it a real possibility that they could show up and they were originally slated to be a sub at Coachella before getting the bump up.

I’m just saying there is a chance.

- gaping GSH

- discussions previously that they are in the mix

- BST not sold out and no indication it’s an exclusive 

- agreed to sub headline Coachella (one of their biggest markets) before getting a bump up.

- would also be the first major K POP act to play glasto and I reckon the press would be all over it

I really don’t think it should be ruled out at all.

Edited by Matt42

On 8/20/2019 at 5:58 PM, mattiloy said:

Could stick it on in the kids field?

To my ears k-pop is just 2000s bubblegum pop, file alongside Girls Aloud, with the added innovation that its in korean. 

Stock Aitken and Waterman must be listening to it and kicking themselves. “Why didn’t we audition for a bunch of Korean girls rather than twatting around with Sonia?!” But production line bubble gum pop has always been popular. 

BLACKPINK would be an absolutely perfect booking for me. I've only heard a few of their songs but they seem like they'd be a lot of fun live and tickets to see them are very expensive, prohibitively so unless you're a massive fan (or are very rich).

For me, that's what festivals are all about in terms of music. Acts who you enjoy but, for some reason or another, haven't paid or wouldn't pay to go and see at their own concert. Get them headlining Other against Guns 'N Roses and it'll be a huge party.

EDIT: Just saw the theory that they might play after the legends slot. Rod seeing all those teenagers waiting for BLACKPINK might give him the notion he's still got it, which nobody needs.

Edited by churlie100