Spice Girls for 2020?

Skelts

3 minutes ago, brettredmayne said:

As much as I am against it, spice girls have just as much pop appeal as Kylie and probably more number 1s.

Yet Kylie was celebrated playing the festival and the spice girls seems to be very marmite

Kylie and the Spice Girls are apples and oranges m8 and you're doing Kylie a massive disservice by comparing the two.

3 minutes ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

Kylie and the Spice Girls are apples and oranges m8 and you're doing Kylie a massive disservice by comparing the two.

I'm just using her as an example with been a pop act, I wouldn't go and see the spice girls but I could imagine they would draw a massive crowd.

22 minutes ago, brettredmayne said:

As much as I am against it, spice girls have just as much pop appeal as Kylie and probably more number 1s.

Yet Kylie was celebrated playing the festival and the spice girls seems to be very marmite

If Kylie had stopped releasing new stuff after her 3rd album and then just milked that same material for the next 20 years, then that would be a valid comparison.

The difference, and it's a huge one, is that Kylie had that first 5 years of generic pop - but she then did other, different, things afterwards and that variety is what qualifies her.

Besides which, I'm someone who thinks Kylie is probably a shade too modern for the sunday afternoon, so for me this shouldn't even be a debate for another 10 years.

28 minutes ago, brettredmayne said:

We need @klesrb to provide the chart facts.

49 minutes ago, brettredmayne said:

I'm just using her as an example with been a pop act, I wouldn't go and see the spice girls but I could imagine they would draw a massive crowd.

They'd draw a colossal crowd, probably one to rival Kylie's this year.

I'd most likely be elsewhere, they don't even appeal as a curiosity act for me.

I don't think they'd get as big a crowd as Kylie. Even I was tempted by Kylie, she's got a few decent songs and the whole national treasure thang going on. As it turned out there was something I really wanted to see elsewhere.

I suspect a lot of people would avoid Sharon and the lads knocking out pap designed to appeal to 10 year old girls.

5 minutes ago, Gnomicide said:

I don't think they'd get as big a crowd as Kylie. Even I was tempted by Kylie, she's got a few decent songs and the whole national treasure thang going on. As it turned out there was something I really wanted to see elsewhere.

I suspect a lot of people would avoid Sharon and the lads knocking out pap designed to appeal to 10 year old girls.

Could Kylie sell 10 stadium dates? You have to remember how massive they were 20 years ago. I could see people flocking to an afternoon slot. 

10 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

Could Kylie sell 10 stadium dates? You have to remember how massive they were 20 years ago. I could see people flocking to an afternoon slot. 

The question is how much crossover is there between types of people who want to buy their stadium tickets and types of people who go to Glastonbury?

20 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

8 minutes ago, stuie said:

The question is how much crossover is there between types of people who want to buy their stadium tickets and types of people who go to Glastonbury?

Stuie has already replied with what I'm thinking. I'm sure the crowd would be huge but not Kylie huge. I reckon more people would be of a 'bollocks to that' mindset and would go elsewhere.

Dolly, Lionel, Kylie all pulled huge crowds. The Spice Girls are bigger than all of them.

We’ve all been to Glastonbury enough times to know what happens when you stick a huge act on during the day. Even on the 50th anniversary year them playing the legends slot will be one of the biggest, most hyped sets of the weekend. It’ll be the one that dominates the media in the build up and there will be an undeniable buzz about it that will be impossible to ignore. People will flock to it, some just to see what it’s like, others to see whether they fail but mainly because there will not be a single person out of the 205,000 on site who cannot name a Spice Girls song.

16 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

She didn’t sell the 5,000 Castlefield Bowl very quickly. Trust me.

but she'd sold out Lytham before that was announced - tho just having looked that's only 10k. Thought it was bigger.

So i'll take back about the stadiums. I thought the shows she sold were bigger than they were.